Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cbsatlanta.com/fultonnews/27 ... etail.html
ATLANTA -- The Department of Natural Resources is investigating Clayton County Commissioner Eldrin Bell's ride on an elephant.

In Georgia, riding an elephant is illegal. The DNR is investigating Universoul Circus, as well as the elephant's owner.

Todd Holbrook, of the DNR, explained that elephants are legally classed as inherently dangerous animals. A condition of having a wild animal permit is not allowing people to ride the animal.
And yet riding bulls is OK.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
mountainpass said:
http://www.cbsatlanta.com/fultonnews/27004295/detail.html
ATLANTA -- The Department of Natural Resources is investigating Clayton County Commissioner Eldrin Bell's ride on an elephant.

In Georgia, riding an elephant is illegal. The DNR is investigating Universoul Circus, as well as the elephant's owner.

Todd Holbrook, of the DNR, explained that elephants are legally classed as inherently dangerous animals. A condition of having a wild animal permit is not allowing people to ride the animal.
And yet riding bulls is OK.
aint it........

·
يفخر الكافر
3,938 Posts
I remember reading a list of useless Georgia laws somewhere, though I don't remember where I saw them. I know one of them was something along the lines of it being illegal to walk a horse down the side of an interstate/highway while wearing a bathing suit...

This is apparently another one of those laws! :screwy:

·
I watch the watchers
12,886 Posts
Do elephants fit the definition of domesticated?
Was it an African Elephant or an Asian? I'll bet the law doesn't even distinguish. :roll:

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
If I remember correctly the elephant law is fairly recent and came about after injuries, maybe even deaths, involving kids riding what was supposed to be a docile elephant at a zoo somewhere.

We see in the news fairly often circus elephants that decide to go on a rampage, kill their handler, and end up being shot to end their rant.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
mb90535im said:
If I remember correctly the elephant law is fairly recent and came about after injuries, maybe even deaths, involving kids riding what was supposed to be a docile elephant at a zoo somewhere.

We see in the news fairly often circus elephants that decide to go on a rampage, kill their handler, and end up being shot to end their rant.
...so basically everything works out in the end?

Doesn't seem like a good reason to pass a law.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
spector said:
Doesn't seem like a good reason to pass a law.
Most reasoning used to pass laws is goofy from what I can tell.

"Someone's having fun....quick better pass a law."

I think we would have been better off if the Puritans had stayed in Europe.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Our friends in Tennessee have a different way of dealing with elephants behaving badly; they hang 'em!

Who says capital punishment doesn't work? After hanging only one elephant for killing its trainer about a hundred years ago, I don't believe elephants have murdered anyone in Tennessee since.

http://www.blueridgecountry.com/archive ... phant.html .

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rainmaker said:
Our friends in Tennessee have a different way of dealing with elephants behaving badly; they hang 'em!

Who says capital punishment doesn't work? After hanging only one elephant for killing its trainer about a hundred years ago, I don't believe elephants have murdered anyone in Tennessee since.

http://www.blueridgecountry.com/archive ... phant.html .
The AT goes very close to Erwin, and this town has a bad reputation amongst the hikers because of the hanging. :roll:

·
Registered
939 Posts
He would not have had a problem if he had been wearing one of his Elton John, tinpot-dictator, Bozo-impersonating costumes.

·
Registered
737 Posts
that is just great, with the price of gas goin up my wife and I were going to get a elephant to ride to work, now what are we going to do? :sly:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
vanguard said:
that is just great, with the price of gas goin up my wife and I were going to get a elephant to ride to work, now what are we going to do? :sly:
lol, i was thinking the same thing!

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,569 Posts
vanguard said:
Yea, here in South Georgia, my elephant runs on... peanuts!

·
I watch the watchers
12,886 Posts
vanguard said:
As my liberal brother said the other day, "Why should I care about gas prices? I ride the bus."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts