Electronic Hearing Protection/Enhancer (In-Ear)

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by EJR914, Nov 30, 2010.

1. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I've been given the chance to get a pair of electronic hearing protection for below $100 for Christmas from my parents.

Please keep in mind that I will be using these for quail hunting with a shotgun. If any of you have any experience with the "muff" type of hearing protection while shooting winged game or sporting clays can you tell me if they got in the way or not? Touched the stock? I'm really hesitant to buy the muff style because I think they'd get in the way of putting the stock on my shoulder and putting my head down to the stock, and having to aim at the many angles that quail often offer. Sometime they pop straight up in the air, and everywhich way, and I worry they'll hit the stock and make me miss the shot, or just mess with my hunting if they touch the stock.

Reviews on this website for the muff-style can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=52312

And here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=48453&hilit=sound

If there are muff-style reviews anywhere else here, please paste the link, because I'd like to look at them as well. The only reason I'm thinking of maybe buying the muff style because I can probably better keep track of them, well better than the in-the-ear style. They are so tiny, and I already lost one pair of them very easily.

I'm willing to look at ear-muff style if they will not affect my quail hunting any by touching the stock. Ok, on to the "in-the-ear" style.

I had a pair similar to these (in-the-ear style): http://www.walmart.com/ip/Walker-s-Game ... C/14657438 years ago, and I lost them somehow, right after I bought them. The seemed to cut out the sound just fine. I think I bought them on sale off-season for 22 bucks at Wal-mart a long time ago.

I'm looking for in-the ear style that is below say $100, offers great hearing protection, while also enhancing sound as well.

Can someone also explain to me all the different ratings?

Do any of you have any experience with this in-the-ear style of hearing protection? What is a good pair?

2. EJR914

3. 175FO

175FO Member

As far as the ratings go all I know is the higher the decibel rating the better, a rating of 25 would be better than a 20 for example.

I have no experience shooting winged game wearing earmuffs, however In the military I did a lot of shooting wearing a set of peltor comtac earmuffs. They never bothered me much, but our snipers preffered to wear in ear protection because the muffs did effect their ability to get a good cheek-stock weld.

4. EJR914

Thank you for your answer and the information. :righton: