Electronic Earmuffs?

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by 87FieroGT, Oct 20, 2010.

1. 87FieroGT

87FieroGT New Member

Hi all

My wife and have recently taken up target shooting and are getting to the rage at least once a week.

We normally share a lane and take turns, between which we normally talk a bit about how we did and what we can do better.

I find it difficult to hear and understand what she is saying due to the passive earmuffs I’m wearing. I’ve been looking at the electronic earmuffs that are available.

Does anybody have or have had electronic earmuffs? Do you like or dislike them?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Ray

2. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

I've also got a pair of the Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs. They work pretty well for $50. Used alone, they're great for outdoor shooting. When shhoting at indoor ranges I tend to double plug (cheap foam plugs or the reusable rubber plugs). Even when doubled up, it's pretty easy to converse with my shooting partner ore hear the RO.

3. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

In the past, I've used the Peltor Ultimate passive earmuffs which give an excellent NRR but prevent me from hearing any spoken commands unless the person is yelling right in front of me. I bought a set of electronic earmuffs recently in order to better hear and react to range officer (RO) commands during qualifications. The RO conducting the qualification can often be 30 to 50 feet away from me, and even though he is yelling, it is impossible to hear him without raising one of the passive earmuffs. Which can be a problem for my hearing when a different RO is running quals on an adjoining nearby range and I raise my muff to hear my RO, since I am then exposed to rifle, shotgun or pistol fire from the nearby shooters.

So, after conducting an extensive amount of research on what is available on the market at various pricepoints, I decided on the Peltor MT15H7F SV Tactical Pro Hearing Protector.

While they are not cheap, I don't have a problem paying more for a better performing product, provided what I am getting for the extra money is worthwhile to me. I wanted a high NRR (these have an NRR=26, I want to preserve what is left of my hearing) as well as a clean, crisp amplifier and noise reduction circuitry, and comfortable fit for extended periods.

While not as highly rated as some of the ProEars (with a maximum NRR rating of 33), the Tactical Pro doesn't cost nearly as much either. I've contemplated purchasing a set of ProEars in the past, but just couldn't justify their high cost. Peltor is world renowned for their hearing protection products and is used by just about every police and military unit around the globe. For its balance of price, quality, and features; I haven't found anything better than the Peltor Tactical Pros.

Battery life has been excellent. I also like that it uses two commonly available AA cells, and that if the batteries die unexpectedly the default operation mode of the earmuffs is the passive mode.

Thus far, I have been extremely pleased with the Peltor MT15H7F Tactical Pro. Excellent NRR rating, and the amplifier is very clear and crisp to me and comfortable to wear all day at the range for extended training sessions. No problem understanding what is being said, and with the stereo mics, no problem telling where sounds are coming from either.

If the price is not an insurmountable issue for you, I highly recommend the Peltor MT15H7F, you will not regret it. I got them from Amazon free shipping and no tax :righton:

4. RickN

RickN New Member

These are the same ones I use. I was so pleased with the price/performance, I keep a second pair in my range bag for my wife/kid/friend that's shooting with me.

5. 87FieroGT

87FieroGT New Member

My Bad……sorry about that…..as soon as I hit the submit button I knew I should have done a search first.

Thanks for the link.

Thanks for the other responses too guys. Looks like my Christmas wish list just got a little longer.

Thanks
    Ray

6. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

No sweat. Actually it's good to bump these type of things to see if there is something new, or someone with another product review.

7. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

Two points:

1. If you will ONLY be using electronic muffs, pay attention to how many milliseconds it takes the muff to shut down (typically to about 82db) the impact. I spoke at length with Ear Inc tech (no just cust. support). You get what you pay for. It may not seem much, but as it affects your hearing loss, the difference b/t a 2 ms. clip and 5 ms. clip can be great.

I spoke to them in the context of a filtered Insta-Mold (http://www.earinc.com/p1-nonelectronic-instamold.php) ear plug, and what difference a tiny tube might make. This is how we got into the discussion of clip time.

2. Consider filtered plugs. I use my filtered pair with non electric muffs (Peltor 23db redux.). They have worked fine for indoor handgun range shooting, and I can hear everything, as the filtered plugs restricts sounds over 82db (mechanically) before damage to the eardrum can occur. I also use them outside for shotgunning, and at dog trials/practice when I shoot.

I paid $35 for the solid plugs (at Chuck's Guns in Buckhead), and sent them in later to Ear inc. to be drilled and filtered (about $20 then, IIRC) - now $30.

Hope this helps

8. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

Good point about the shutdown time.
    The specifications for the electronics in the Peltor Tactical Pro MT15H7F states it limits amplified sounds to 82dBA within 2 milliseconds.