1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
16,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,001 Posts
The part I don't like about the EVs is it takes about 10 minutes on a fast charge to get 100 miles of travel before having to recharge again. In less than 10 minutes at most pumps I can fill my truck up and go over 400 miles.

As an aside note an EV would work out fine for me since we don't really travel and most trips are just a few miles at most. A full tank of gas on my truck will last 2.5 to 3 months with room to spare. Filedd the tank on my Durango 2 weeks ago half a mile from the house. Parked it in the garage and haven't touched it since. Next time I drive the truck it will be to donate blood tomorrow that's only half a mile away then Friday 1 mile to the grocery and parked until next Friday's trip to the grocery. Problem is the price tag on the EV make keeping the vehicles I have a bargain.

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
The current supercharger stations will put 200 miles of range on a Tesla in 15 minutes. If I was a 600 mile per day road warrior, that would probably cramp my style but I can’t remember the last time I did 300 miles in a week. Current estimates on Teslas are 2-3 miles of range per hour of charging at 110V…which would honestly cover my driving without needing to touch the 220V plug in the garage.

Like Seajay, I don’t drive enough to recoup the initial costs in fuel savings. I’m hoping to drive my current vehicle until the wheels fall off then, some day in the distant future, replace it with a self-driving EV.

Regarding EVs and towing, I wonder how long it will be before we see 1,000lbs (or more) of battery built into trailers for assist purposes. There’s an argument that a 5th wheel camper with solar roof/awning/pop-outs and a battery like that wouldn’t need a generator in lots of places.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,001 Posts
GMC super truck

While this truck has the horse power I think the tow limits will be in the suspension GVW. If I was going to get an EV truck this would be my choice.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I am looking at possibly a hybrid truck for my next vehicle. Ford includes a 110-volt outlet option on hybrid trucks, which is an intriguing option. I am a little disappointed that the new Maverick small truck does not have the advanced towing package\AWD option available with the hybrid powerplant, only with the turbo 4-cylinder engine. I don't think Electric vehicles are a perfect cure-all, but hybrid engines definitely have promise.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,001 Posts
Most new trucks and full size SUVs have the 110 volt outlets. Some are standard some are optional.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
16,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most new trucks and full size SUVs have the 110 volt outlets. Some are standard some are optional.
Yes, but they are generally about a 150 watt circuit. Thats less than 1.5 amps. At least as I understand the sparking snake.

Nemo

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
I wish batteries were better. Weight, capacity, cost, charge time.

Electric trucks are a joke if you want to tow, haul a load, or go up a hill. Or run them on a cold winter day, actually they have a battery heater that runs even when parked on a freezing day.

Maybe Toyota's solid state battery will be the needed breakthrough.

The complexity of modern IC engine vehicles is off the chart. Two dozen computer "modules" - that's a lot of needed brainpower.

The only complex multi-item part in an purely electric (not hybrid) car is the brakes (regen with panic override).

A hybrid gives the best combination available today at the cost of triple complexity.

The latest Car and Driver mag has a 3 year life report on a Tesla. Bottom line on cost: supercharger costs more than gas equivalent even at the average 15 cent/kwh national average. Slow charging overnight beats equivalent gas car by about half. This particular car declared its battery dead once while parked requiring a replacement (under warranty).

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,001 Posts
Yes, but they are generally about a 150 watt circuit. Thats less than 1.5 amps. At least as I understand the sparking snake.

Nemo
I have several inverters and none of them are less than 400 watts at 20 amps each for 2 outlets. I can't see putting anything less in a truck. I have a 1,000 watt X 100 amp each on 2 outlets I use in my truck to run computers and laser printers. It also has USB charging ports. The other is a 900 watt 75 amp each for 2 outlets. The 400 and 900 are used to attach power to a house by tying them into the electrical panel to run the lights. A 150 watt outlet is worthless.

Reactions: NTA

·
Man of Myth and Legend
16,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have several inverters and none of them are less than 400 watts at 20 amps each for 2 outlets. I can't see putting anything less in a truck. I have a 1,000 watt X 100 amp each on 2 outlets I use in my truck to run computers and laser printers. It also has USB charging ports. The other is a 900 watt 75 amp each for 2 outlets. The 400 and 900 are used to attach power to a house by tying them into the electrical panel to run the lights. A 150 watt outlet is worthless.

Wouldn't a 1000 watt x 100 amp circuit be on a 12 volt system and require car battery cables to carry that much current? LIke I indicated, I know little about the sparking snake.

Nemo

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Wouldn't a 1000 watt x 100 amp circuit be on a 12 volt system and require car battery cables to carry that much current? LIke I indicated, I know little about the sparking snake.

Nemo
Not knowing Seajay’s inverters, I would suggest that is feed amps to the inverter at 12V not output amps at 110V Because 2 outlets of 110V @20A would require 200A in at 12V!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I think we forget about electric. Hydrogen is the way to go.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,001 Posts
Not knowing Seajay’s inverters, I would suggest that is feed amps to the inverter at 12V not output amps at 110V Because 2 outlets of 110V @20A would require 200A in at 12V!
Yes the 1k inverter uses a 100 amp fuse from the battery to the inverter and a 100 amp fuse plugged into the inverter that will blow first if the load is exceeded. Like the circuit breaker in your house. You have a main fuse or breaker then each circuit usually has a 15 amp or higher breaker or fuse.

Most houses have 150 to 200 amp main breakers. If you only had 10 15 amp breakers you would already be equal to the 150 amp main. However If you have HVAC running on a 30 amp then you are in excess of the main. What if you have 2 HVAC systems running at 30 amps each? That would only leave you 40 amps to run the whole rest of your house. Then there are those pesky 20 amp breakers for things like hair dryers, curling irons and kitchen appliances. The numbers being tossed out here do not make sense. You can't even run a power supply for a laptop on 1.5 amps. You can't even run it on 2.0 amps.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,001 Posts

Nemo
No. It might if you were to run it for 20 or 30 feet but running from the battery into the cab no.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,001 Posts
The main point is you can't hardly run a light bulb on 1.5 amps. What good would an inverter be if it only would put out 1.5 amps.
400 watts of output should mean 2.0A @ 110VAC x 2 outlets. 400 watts is going to take around 40A @12VDC of input power. You left the decimal out of all of the amp ratings.
So why don't you tell me what you can run on 2 amps? The fuses on the 400 watt inverter are 20 amp. Even the switch for your HVAC is a 5 amp. All you have to do is open the cover and look at it. That is what it takes to trip a tiny switch. Open your panel on your house and tell me how many 1.5 or 2.0 amp breakers or fuses are in it. Your dryer takes 30 or some may take 40 amps.

Edit to add you can't even charge your cell phone on 1.5 amps.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,001 Posts

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
The main point is you can't hardly run a light bulb on 1.5 amps. What good would an inverter be if it only would put out 1.5 amps.

So why don't you tell me what you can run on 2 amps? The fuses on the 400 watt inverter are 20 amp. Even the switch for your HVAC is a 5 amp. All you have to do is open the cover and look at it. That is what it takes to trip a tiny switch. Open your panel on your house and tell me how many 1.5 or 2.0 amp breakers or fuses are in it. Your dryer takes 30 or some may take 40 amps.

Edit to add you can't even charge your cell phone on 1.5 amps.
I think the [email protected] is getting lost here. My cell phone charges at 5V. No, it won’t charge with 1.5A @ 5V but the charger won’t pull 1.5A @ 110V including losses. That is at least 10x what is needed after accounting for losses in the charger!

Similarly with a light bulb, 100W incandescent, certainly not. A 13W LED on the other hand will need 120mA @ 110V or 1.2A @ 12V.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,001 Posts
A USB port on your laptop puts out 2.4 amps.

This is an 18 watt 5 volt 3 AMP USB charger. Yes 3 AMPs at 18 watts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts