Electoral Identification

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Malum Prohibitum, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Yesterday, who besides me used their Georgia Firearms License as their identification to vote?

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I may have considered it but Lee county was requiring photo IDs. I guess I could have tried and pushed the issue but I was in a hurry and had the wife with me.

3. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I would have, but it has the wrong address on it.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Are you sure about that? :shock:

One of the things they are required to have posted prominently on the wall in two places is statute containing a 17 item list of acceptable identification. The same list is on the little paper certificate you sign before you vote. They have to check one of the things to establish that you presented identification.

GFLs are number 7.

I was obviously the only one in my precinct, judging by the guy's reaction. "Um, let me look on the list to see if this . . ." he indicated, holding out the GFL.

"I will save you time," I said pleasantly, "It is number 7."

He looked at number seven, started to check it, then stopped. "Is this a license to carry a pistol or revolver?"

I wanted to ask him what it was that he was seeking on the list if he did not know what he was holding in his hand, but I bit my tongue and smiled instead, pointing to the title on the top of the GEORGIA FIREARMS LICENSE. He checked number 7 and sent me on to the next part. The lady giving out the yellow electronic cards was handing them back to people, saying, "Here is your voting card and your driver's license." When she got to me, she handed it back silently.

5. tony218

tony218 New Member

I did! The lady looked at it and said "I don't have a listing for a fireman permit." :lol:

I told her that it's a FIREARMS permit; then she asked, "Would that be the same as a permit to carry a pistol or revolver?"

:lol:

6. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Well I don't know if they would have taken it or not since I didn't try. I do know that they specifically said "photo ID please"... :?

7. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Oh! The irony of the situation! :shock:

You can use your GFL as a means to exercise your right to vote, but you cannot use your GFL for its original intent because voting is a public gathering and off limits. :x

8. rajl

rajl New Member

I read some of the other forms of acceptable Identification. My favorite was the "Certificate of Sex Change Operation". I wonder if anyone has ever used one of those before.

I would have used my GFL myself, but I didn't know it was accepted, so I didn't. Oh well, next election.

9. Taler

Taler New Member

From the Secretary of State's website:

"On September 19, 2006, a Fulton County Superior Court Judge issued a Permanent Injunction regarding photo identification requirements. All previous 17 forms of identification, including the statement of elector used in place of ID listed in O.C.G.A. § 21-2-417, will be acceptable for voting during the November 7, 2006 General Election and General Election Run-off."

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

They didn't have anything posted about ID's at my polling place. They had a a poster saying how the machine worked taped to a table on the far side of a table the line was on (had to read it upside down). I also noticed a sign that said that you could not talk on a cell phone while at the machine.

11. wwomack

wwomack New Member

I used my GFL as my id to vote this time. I got the same reaction as for the last election. The person behind the counter looked really confused and went and asked someone else if it was okay and then accepted it. What I found funny was the lady telling you where to go said "and give them your picture id".

12. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Not being up on things, I didn't know I could have used it or I would have. Bummer Dudes and Dudettes!

So, I used my driver's license.

Funny thing is, the young woman checking ids said I didn't need to remove it from my wallet.

So I didn't.

But......

My wallet has slots for cards that covers all but the top 1/4" or so of each.

She looked at my wallet and confirmed it contained a driver's license, but there was no way in hell she could know if it was my license!!!

Next time, GFL it is! :shoot:

13. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Missed opportunity! I didn't realize the GFL was on the approved ID list either. The lady did ask for my driver license, but quickly corrected herself to an item for identification. I guess it's just habit.

14. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

I started to pull out my gfl but quickly reconsidered as i remembered i was inside the gym of the elementry school and my 45 was in my briefcase in the parkinglot( am I correct in believing that I was in violation of 16-11-127 as well as various and sundery other state and federal statutes) :( :handcuffs: :jail:

15. cmcinc

cmcinc New Member

I knew I could use it and would have, but it has my previous address on it.

16. Wiley

Wiley New Member

I've used mine in every election since July.

And will continue to do so as long as it's legal (and the poll workers heave in a basket when they see I'm as ugly as my DL photo :) ).