Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a guy come into the store here at Patrick's. He recently became a GWL holder after Effingham County probate court and a Sheriff's Deputy gave him wrong information.

He is from Texas and moved to Georgia 1 month ago, he still had a TX driver's license and Texas carry permit, which is valid in GA. He was pulled over by an Effingham Sheriff's Deputy, who saw that he had the Texas permit, the guy told him that he had 2 loaded guns in the car, one of which I believe he was carrying on his person. The Deputy told him that his TX permit was not valid in GA, not true, and that he could confiscate the guy's guns. The Deputy was "nice" and let the guy go with a warning to get a GA permit.

So he goes to the Effingham probate court, applies for and gets a GWL. The court clerk tells him he cannot have two permits and confiscates his TX permit. So basically this guy got screwed multiple times by Effingham County. I have him the info for Georgia Packing and GCO, so hopefully he can get some help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,259 Posts
They were correct in that you cannot possess 2 RESIDENT permits BUT you can have your primary resident and as many NON-RESIDENT permits as you can afford. :righton:

As for the Deputy I will call my buddy over at ECSD and have him set em straight. :wink:
 

·
I watch the watchers
Joined
·
12,883 Posts
175FO said:
Just had a guy come into the store here at Patrick's. He recently became a GWL holder after Effingham County probate court and a Sheriff's Deputy gave him wrong information.

He is from Texas and moved to Georgia 1 month ago, he still had a TX driver's license and Texas carry permit, which is valid in GA. He was pulled over by an Effingham Sheriff's Deputy, who saw that he had the Texas permit, the guy told him that he had 2 loaded guns in the car, one of which I believe he was carrying on his person. The Deputy told him that his TX permit was not valid in GA, not true, and that he could confiscate the guy's guns. The Deputy was "nice" and let the guy go with a warning to get a GA permit.

So he goes to the Effingham probate court, applies for and gets a GWL. The court clerk tells him he cannot have two permits and confiscates his TX permit. So basically this guy got screwed multiple times by Effingham County. I have him the info for Georgia Packing and GCO, so hopefully he can get some help.
I have completely lost count of the number of times someone on here has reported an officer is claiming "that's illegal!!111!!, but I'm gonna be nice, This Time and let you go." and it turns out that it wasn't illegal at all? Is "I'm gonna be nice and let you go" code-speak for "I don't know if it's legal or illegal, or what the frack I'm doing, but I'm too proud to admit it and you better respect ma authoritah?"
 

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
Joined
·
28,312 Posts
I've never been asked if I held a gun carry permit from any other state, when I apply for or renew my Georgia GFL.

It seems like it's up to the State of Texas to worry about who has Texas permits. It's none of Georgia's business.

By the way, is a Texas carry permit still valid once you move out of TX?

Does it become a "non resident permit" or is there a separate license for that?

Is there such a thing in Texas as a nonresident carry permit anyway? I truly don't know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,992 Posts
mathar1 said:
They were correct in that you cannot possess 2 RESIDENT permits BUT you can have your primary resident and as many NON-RESIDENT permits as you can afford. :righton:

As for the Deputy I will call my buddy over at ECSD and have him set em straight. :wink:
Sure you can...so long as you meet the residency requirements for the state you are getting the permit from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
gunsmoker said:
It seems like it's up to the State of Texas to worry about who has Texas permits. It's none of Georgia's business.

By the way, is a Texas carry permit still valid once you move out of TX?

Does it become a "non resident permit" or is there a separate license for that?

Is there such a thing in Texas as a nonresident carry permit anyway? I truly don't know.
I don't know about the permit being vaild once you move out but you can get an out-of-state Tx permit, one guy in my CCL class was from Georgia (Savannah actually!). Was taking the class while visiting family in Texas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,842 Posts
I have a Fla CWFL and still have my GFL. I called Bibb County after I moved and had gotten my Fla permit and they said my GFL was legal until it expires.... I don't carry the GFL any longer, just the Fla CWFL.. Just my 2 cents....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,286 Posts
Fallschirmjäger said:
175FO said:
I have completely lost count of the number of times someone on here has reported an officer is claiming "that's illegal!!111!!, but I'm gonna be nice, This Time and let you go." and it turns out that it wasn't illegal at all? Is "I'm gonna be nice and let you go" code-speak for "I don't know if it's legal or illegal, or what the frack I'm doing, but I'm too proud to admit it and you better respect ma authoritah?"
i have a bad habit of calling their bluff when they do this.... itll probably get me arrested one day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Live in Effingham and moved from Texas where I had a CWP. When I went to the Effingham Court House they were great and having a TX CCW license was never an issue, and they knew I had it. You can have as many out of state CCW permits as you want, I keep my Texas active, but now an out of state holder. I can't say enough about the folks at the court house, received my permit in 8 days. I do hope, now the political landscape has changed, our GA rep's can get an agreement to carry in SC and visa versa. Glad to be a new member!
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
69,149 Posts
Retired AFOSI said:
I do hope, now the political landscape has changed, our GA rep's can get an agreement to carry in SC and visa versa. Glad to be a new member!
The problem has nothing to do with Ga Rep's. The legislature passed a law here years ago that basically says, "If you give effect to our license, then we will give effect to yours." Guess what? SC no want to play along.

There was a bill recently to recognize other states' licenses until the NRA and Sen. Knotts torpedoes it with a training requirement. The problem lies in SC, not GA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
In Texas there is a duty to inform law. He probably gave the officer his Texas Permit with his drivers license because that is what they do where he is from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,952 Posts
270sniper said:
i have a bad habit of calling their bluff when they do this.... itll probably get me arrested one day.
It's my nature, as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
If he MOVED to Georgia, not just visiting, I believe the officer was right. Georgia requires Georgia residents to have a GWL.

But did the officer even know he was a Georgia resident, if his license and tag were still Texas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
I have a similar problem having 2 drivers license's I have a Florida and Ga DL when i get stopped and the cop sees my other license while i am taking out the Ga one they always say give me that license you can't have 2 licenses It always ends in an argument and I always go away with 2 licenses.One time I had to request the Sgt come over and explain it to him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,704 Posts
gruntpain1775 said:
Sure you can...so long as you meet the residency requirements for the state you are getting the permit from.
This. If you meet residency requirements for both, even if you've technically moved here and will be making Georgia your new home, it is in no way illegal to have two.

270sniper said:
i have a bad habit of calling their bluff when they do this.... itll probably get me arrested one day.
You've got to, or the sheeple will keep running around failing to think for themselves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
shooting time said:
I have a similar problem having 2 drivers license's I have a Florida and Ga DL when i get stopped and the cop sees my other license while i am taking out the Ga one they always say give me that license you can't have 2 licenses It always ends in an argument and I always go away with 2 licenses.One time I had to request the Sgt come over and explain it to him.
I don't think its legal to have two valid driver's licenses but I cannot cite a law at this time.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top