EDC

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by hammerg26, Feb 8, 2018.

1. hammerg26

hammerg26 Member

How many here use a MaxPedition or similar for an EDC? What about a laptop bag? Trying to figure out something I can carry to work, and still be able to have an EDC. The MaxPedition is great, but is not the best solution for work (cannot fit laptop and don’t want to carry two bags - draws too much attention). I thought about trying to make my Targus Laptop Bag work, putting in a smaller pouch, but I don’t know. Thought you all might be able to help.

Advice? What works for you?

2. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Ruger lcp in front pocket

3. hammerg26

hammerg26 Member

Thank you.
    Thinking more of not just firearm, but other stuff, too.
    Tourniquet?
    Gloves/first aid
    Knife
    Etc.
    Maybe EDC is the wrong title / idea - maybe a “get home bag” or smaller.
    It could be I am overthinking it...

4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

I have a trauma kit in my office, car, range bag, and several at home. No need to carry one that way. Car has seasonal clothing, water, light sources, fire sources, basic tools, etc. As for me, various weapons based on how I am dressed and where I am going ranging from an LCP when I can NOT print to a FS sidearm with multiple magazines.

hammerg26 likes this.
  5. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Dayum Uti, you sound like one of those right wing world coming to an end bunker up prepper people.

Nemo

6. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Thank you sir. Did you have a question? ;)

7. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I have a fair amount of Maxpedition gear. I use their Incognito Laptop Backpack as a "situational manpurse" in my car. Technically, some might call it a bug out bag (BOB) or get home bag (GHB), but those are different from each other and a little different than what I carry as I'm generally not that far away from home (I work within 1.5 miles of home), so mine is more generically equipped for general emergencies.

Within that bag I have a couple of other Maxpedition pouches: the "Fatty Pocket Organizer" and the "Beefy Pocket Organizer". The Fatty is for my medical kit and the Beefy is my fire kit (has fat rope stick, Exotec fire gear, fire steels, etc.). The backpack also contains Maxpedition's Universal Pistol Wrap (UPW) and Dual Mag Wrap (DMW) in it's velcro section for my Walther PPS and two spare mags. Because of that the bag is restrained in the car with a steel cable with a lock on the zipper area covering the velcro section. The bag was specifically made for quick firearm access. There are a couple of pouches on the outside of the bag too, but those are from 5.11 for things like the GPS/Two-way radio and Flight flashlight.

I went through several Maxpedition bags before settling in on this backpack. I tried their Jumbo Versipack and Fatboy Versipack, but either the fit or storage just didn't work as well for me.

I have other misc. Maxpedition gear too, such as the 10x4 bottle holder, Tactical Can case, etc. All the Maxpedition gear is high-end. It is very heavy nylon (e.g. 1050-Denier ballistic nylon) with really solid stitching. Maxpedition gear will take whatever you can throw at it.

For day-hikes and the such, I typically carry something like a Filson Field Bag. It isn't as tactical looking, doesn't have the MOLLE attachments, etc., but it is just a solid bag for small hikes. If I need more, I switch over to the Maxpedition Backpack.

The Maxpedition backpack was originally purchased for my laptop carry, but I switched to 5.11's COVRT18 backpack for that, which is an excellent laptop bag and holds all of my related gear for when I have to go to the QTS data center.

So for a laptop bag, I'd look at the 5.11 or the Maxpedition backpack - both would like meet your needs. It really depends on what else you plan on carrying.

8. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Yeah, any way to send a PM here?

Nemo

9. RedDawnTheMusical

The "situation manpurse" based on Maxpedition's "Incognito Laptop Bag":
    [​IMG]

This would easily fit a regular laptop. I had a full size MacBook Pro in it when I used it for that before switching to the 5.11 COVRT18.

10. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Love BOTH the patches!

RedDawnTheMusical likes this.
  11. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

This is what I use. Doesn't break the bank, and has held up now for 3 years. I have bought them for every family member a with an extra in my car.

https://www.lapolicegear.com/diplomat-3-day-backpack1.html

UtiPossidetis likes this.
  12. RedDawnTheMusical

I would approach this from a design perspective: what is the purpose of the bag? It appears to be laptop/EDC, but what is the EDC? For example, there are all sorts of different purpose bags out there that are fairly common amongst peppers or EDC folk: GHB (get home bag), BOB (bug out bag), INCH (I'm never coming home) bag, etc. Each serve a different purpose and thus have different equipment. For example, if this is more of an office EDC, spare batteries or a first aid kit may be more important than a fire kit.

Once you've identified the purpose of the bag you can layout the gear that you want to carry and that will give you an idea of the size bag and style (e.g. more office/Starbucks friendly or more tactical looking with MOLLE straps everywhere). Also, think about how quickly you'd repurpose the bag.

For example, maybe it goes to the office with you as an office/EDC bag, but then needs to fulfill the role of a GHB, so the laptop and related equipment would come out (since they are not going to help you get home) and different equipment would be loaded in there place. This is actually a great place for bags that support the MOLLE system, as you can quickly attach extra pouches onto your pack that are task-specific, such as a fire kit, that you otherwise wouldn't need.

Also remember the golden rules for pack building, such as: 'two equals one, one equals none' and 'ounces equals pounds - pounds equals pain' (even thought these two examples are somewhat contradictory).

If you're just looking for a laptop bag that will hold a little extra gear, there are a ton of options.

I will say that I have never found a one-bag that can do it all. I keep a bag on me (EDC bag) that has enough gear to get back to my car. That is really it's purpose as my car has a couple of different bags - a kind of GHB, a BOB, and a full camping bag (just shy of an INCH bag). So, once I make it to my car, I can grab what I need, since I'm never too far from my vehicle. If I'm going to be further away from my vehicle (e.g. hiking trip), then I may swap my EDC bag for something like the GHB-like bag. This means a lot of redundant gear and electronics in each bag that need to be recharged every now and then, but it also means I can just grab a bag and go without thinking configuring the back with stuff from other bags.

Archangel likes this.
  13. RedDawnTheMusical

LA Police gear general offers good stuff at a good price point. They often are using the same manufacturer as other brands, like 5.11, at a significantly reduced price.

Archangel likes this.
  14. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

I have a few other models by them as well. Nice stuff at a nice price. My bags are actually somewhere between GHB, BOB, and INCH. We should start a thread about various bags/gear. I have set up quite few of these for friends/family as well as helped some others.

RedDawnTheMusical likes this.
  15. RedDawnTheMusical

16. Don27

Don27 Member

Check out Blue force gear Jedburgh Tactical Backpack for something a little more covert.

17. RedDawnTheMusical

It doesn't scream covert to me (e.g. the MOLLE strips on the back) as the 5.11 COVRT18 (below), but the Jedburgh appears to have hook and loop fastening in all compartments, including the main compartment, which is really nice. I wish the COVRT18 had it in the main compartment. The COVRT18 does provide an easy through pocket for quick firearm access, no matter if you're a lefty or righty. The COVRT18 features some other things like a "roll-down assault compartment", but that is really aimed at operators working in the field in teams where a fellow operator can get quick access to a weapons stash in your pack. However, the COVRT18 does have a padded laptop area in the main compartment that keeps a laptop safe and off the bottom of the bag.
    [​IMG]