Eastman gun show?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by JMJ2, Nov 8, 2010.

1. JMJ2

JMJ2 New Member

Just curious to why Eastman has on its brochure the public gathering law and states you could be prosecuted for bringing a loaded gun in with or without a permit? Seems to me to just be their rule and not law. If its just a rule then state it as such and stop declaring its the law on the brochure. Only if you don't have a GWL should you be prosecuted for carrying a gun without a license. If its not a place listed as off limits then it can only be their rule. With a license maybe arrested for trespassing. They say its the revised version as of 9/10.
    Just curious seems one of our allies isn't quite up to speed.

2. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

3. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

Probably like any other business, they can ask you to leave, but I would not think that you can be prosecuted if you had a valid GWL. They might could "ban" you from any future shows, but unless they put your picture up at the door, how would they know if you showed up a different location?

I did notice yesterday in Norcross, that they took down all the threatning public gathering signs etc. that they kept up even after the passage of SB308.

4. RickN

RickN New Member

I noticed the missing signs too. I had asked about that at a show in September -- what law was I breaking?

"Criminal trespass."

"No, that's if you ask me to leave and I don't. What law am I breaking by simply walking in the door with a concealed weapon? Or a loaded magazine?"

"Criminal trespass."

The conversation was going nowhere fast. The adage against arguing with an idiot since people won't be able to tell you apart came to mind. So I paid my money and moved on.

5. JMJ2

JMJ2 New Member

Somebody probably called them out about it. If its a rule its the rule, If its the law then its the law. In this case its the Rule.

6. Match10

Match10 Active Member

I do not argue with idiots, I just walk by.

7. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

I actually made the comment to the cops at the door at the same show just after 308 was passed about how they meant absolutely nothing anymore. They just kinda nodded in agreement.

8. MossCreekShooter

MossCreekShooter New Member

I stay away from Eastman's anyway. That ol' man and his wife are just about the rudest folks I ever dealt with. I'll keep my $10 or whatever they asking for now.

9. Docindahouze

Docindahouze Member

x2

10. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

x3.
    I've been sticking with the RK shows lately. Specifically the large one when it comes to the ATL Expo Center.

11. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

There is an eastman show coming up at the ag center in perry. Since the ag center is state owned, shouldn't they not be able to make that rule?

12. JMJ2

JMJ2 New Member

They can make all the rules they want. Just not any laws. They aren't up to speed plain and simple.

13. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

Ok but the ag center is state owned. Same as going to the fair, they can't tell me not to carry there

14. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

What does it matter who owns it?

Does below apply to the AG center? Legally thats all that matters

15. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

I think he's implying they can not make him leave since the government owns the place. This would be so if it was an event put on by the government and the venue didn't fall under the government entity list, or even if a private company ran an event for the government.

But this is different. They are a private company renting the space to run a private event, and gain the ability to ask you to leave or trespass you. No different than a Storefront that rented or leased a building.

16. broomhandle

broomhandle New Member

Hi Guys,

+4
    I really think the RK shows have better prices & more vendors with better stuff!

Best,
    broomhandle

17. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

Yes this is what I was after.

18. JMJ2

JMJ2 New Member

The question isn't whether they can make the rules, I can make the rules to my garage sale. The north Atlanta Trade Center isn't Gov owned I think. What I'm saying is there is no "public gathering" law other than the places listed as off limits. They are qouting an out dated law on their brochure, and threatning prosecution. Thats all.
    If its not a place listed as off limits, the only thing that can keep you from legally carrying there is some rule enforced by the company, business. A sign saying "no loaded handguns with or without a permit" is our rule, is cool with me; but to say its Georgia law "public gathering" revised as of 9/10 is wrong.

19. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

It's wrong but it's not against the law to do so. :wink:

We have gained a VAST number of members to GCO because Matt Eastman gives our group table space at his events.
    With that said everyone that spends five minutes learning anything about the man knows just how he is. He could not care less what your opinion is about him or about his rules or about anything else. Some folks are just that way. Whatever.

Do as you please, if you need to get your fix for being around a pretty large selection of weapons, don't mind dropping $8 or $10 bucks then go. CC or disarm as you see fit. Hell, let the cop at the door do the zip tie thing then go to the bathroom & re-arm if you want to. You aren't breaking any laws no matter what you do. At least not until ignore the cop that tells you to leave for having a loaded weapon on your side. Ignore that & you are going to get slapped with criminal tresspass and Matt is not going to let it slide.

Personally I'd just CC. YMMV.