Eastman gun show

Discussion in 'GENERAL EVENTS' started by Dan4010, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Dan4010

Dan4010 New Member

Greetings all,

I had the great opportunity to work the Gwinnett Eastman gun show today for GCO. I was there with two other good members, Zookeeper and another member who does no have a screen name at this time. Both great guys. We handed out a considerable amount of information packets and applications and had some very good conversations with several of the folks that visited our booth. However, in the vast majority of cases we had to call the folks over to visit us, I will discuss this here as well. Overall, we got a very good response to our mission and organization. However, there were several problem areas that I wish to bring to the attention of the GCO folks that set this all up, in hopes you may be able to address them in the future. First, our booth was isolated, we were in the very back of the room and there were not vendors on either side of us. Furthermore, there was a very large vendor across the lane from us, so when folks did walk by they were looking away from our booth. Secondly, we had no trinket handouts such as pens, buttons, key chains or note pads. Nor did we have anything to sell such as hats or shirts. I feel all these items would have helped attract folks to our booth. Therefore, I would like to make a couple suggestions for future events.
    1.) We should approach the vendors and see if they will let us place our handouts at their booths in return for a two month listing on the GP.org website
    2.) We need to have so handouts, key chains, buttons, stickers
    3.) We should have some items for sale, coffee cups, t-shirts, bumper stickers
    4.) We clearly need a better location.
    Overall, it was a great experience and an excellent means of exposure for GCO. I wanted to share some of my thoughts.

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

1) The NRA and our very own cdtracing send people our way and have cards on their tables :) I think the idea of partnering with other vendors is a great idea. It would definitely help us build a strong camaraderie with the GA vendors that decide to participate and maybe even get them to join up.

2) I'm not so keen on giving away crap. It's expensive and the money is likely better spent supporting the lawsuits. This is something the Board can decide on, though. It's not my place to yea or nay what we do with GCO funds.

3) Sounds good to me. We need to find a non-Cafe Press source first, though.

4) Yeah. We reserved the table a month in advance, so I had hoped for a better spot. Hopefully, Mr. Eastman will accommodate us better in the future. I'm not sure how much say we have in our position, though. Maybe cdtracing can enlighten us. I have some suspicions that our location may have to do with the fact that we only buy one table and are not the NRA.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts! It's a lot harder to work on things when you leave it up to the moron coordinators ;)

3. Claire

Claire New Member

I was at the marietta fair today
    a group was giving away small stickers - it has their logo & slogan on it
    the guy asked if he can sticker me and gave me the sticker to put on my shirt. a fun inexpensive giveaway IMO :)

4. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

At the last Savannah show, I spoke with several vendors who asked me if they could send folks my way with questions about the law.

Each one of those vendors got a small stack of business cards.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I believe it'll be easier when membership grows. I know it's kind of a catch 22, but you have to start somewhere. A way to do shirts and stuff like that without money up front would be to just take orders and place them when you get home and get them shipped to the person. I know this may be more unattractive to them, but it's a start.

6. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Actually I agree with most of what Dan has said & I think they are great ideas.

I think many vendors would happily let us put a small "display" stand at their tables with a short stack of our cards. Maybe this is something the Coords and get together & brainstorm how it should look. Some small & simple would be the best I expect. Maybe just a card holder type stand that says "Got questions on Ga carry laws?" and "Want to help protect your 2nd amendmenr rights in Ga?" Then our logo and a little stack of cards.

Giveaways are great and not overly expensive as long as you don't get out of hand with them. I would think maybe a keychain or button would be the best. Just anything to get people remember to check us out once they get home. We do already have handouts in the form of the application itself.

I like the for sale option also. Maybe we could decide on one or two of the shirts and find a printer that would run off a nice large number of them for a reduced price. Each Coord could chip in & pay for a batch then get our money back as we sell em & the profit go back to GCO. I don't think we want a huge # of items but it would be really cool to have a booth up with one or two differnt shirts in various sizes, a coffe mug, and some bumper stickers all for sale. That would look great!

I'm with Budder on the location. Very little we can do about that until & unelss Mr Eastman decides that we aren't just some group of posers that have $60 and a sign. The only way to change that is over time or maybe if we have a BIG success (like getting the Bills past this next session that we want). Then maybe he would put us somewhere good. Otherwise I think we have to tread softly around him. NOT someone we want unhappy with us.... :roll:

7. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

In my experience with trade shows - not gun shows, just trade shows in general - giveaways are nice but can be costly if you get anything which isn't complete crap. The stuff GCO could easily afford would likely be trashed even before the person left the building (when they got home, at best). Key chains would be nice but likely too expensive, not sure about buttons.

I think the sticker idea is a great one. It is cheap and gets the GCO name out. Yes, it would be trashed quickly too but would at least get them thinking about GCO for a while. A giant roll could probably be ordered cheaply.

One inexpensive option we just did for my agency to promote at trade shows is lip balm (generic Chap Stick). You can get info printed on the tube. They ran us about 50 cents each. They are really quick too - 5 business days IIRC Lip Balm Express.

Selling shirts and bumper stickers at the table is a great idea. I don't think people will place orders to be delivered at a later date. A good place to look for better printing prices would be a college town. Any college with a large Greek community prints a lot of t-shirts. That means competition and better prices. I actually know a guy here I have used for several fund raisers I have coordinated who might be able to help. He does good work, not sure how he feels about 2a.

Table placement is almost always dependant on $$$. If you aren't big and don't pay big, you get stuck in the back.

8. budder

I'm not going to suggest Claire for this, but I bet she could come up with a really attractive design ;) Of course, she's going to be busy planning her own show for the next few weeks. Anyone want to carpool with me up to Dalton?

One things someone (Brian or Curt) mentioned was a t-shirt or mug giveaway, eligible for all the people that joined up that weekend. Maybe we can give people extra entries for signing others up, too. If it's up to the coordinators to handle shirts and the like, something like this would be pretty simple, too.

:( I wish you weren't with me and had a solution. Hopefully, Mr. Eastman will begin to value us above the hat/brass animal/jewelry salesmen and start moving us to a better spot (closer to the front, near the middle, on an aisle, by the NRA). Until then, I don't know if there's a lot we can do.

9. Claire

Claire New Member

If buttons or key chains were to be made up -- they don't really have to be "giveaways" they can be given to those who give "donations" for a buck a piece. ;)

10. budder

Worst case scenario is that he doesn't approve and we get the normal low price instead of the barely-above-cost price we'd like. Would you contact him and see what quantities are needed for the price breaks?

11. VolGrad

Great idea. We do this too at trade shows, but of course we aren't charging anything for our sign-ups (my work that is). It still sounds like a good "bonus" to entice people to join on-site rather than waiting for them to go home and join online.

12. Claire

Claire New Member

I just noticed this..

Perhaps an 8x10 stand up display on foam board

similar to a stand up picture frame

13. gsusnake

We had a great location at the last Savannah show.

We were near the "front" side of the building, about three rows in. Right in the middle.

That reminds me... I need to reserve a table. And make a volunteer thread.

14. VolGrad

I will need some additional details to get an accurate quote. Here are the variables, issues, etc.

(1) weight of shirt (Good thing for spell check, i mis-spelled shiRt. That really would have changed the nature of the quote.)
    (2) is the art work "camera ready", basically meaning in a high quality electronic format
    (3) how many colors in the logo
    (4) printing on front, back, or front & back
    (5) what sizes or a general break-down of sizes (15% M, 30% L, 30% XL, 25% XXL)
    (6) anything else I can't recall I need to ask (it has been a couple of years since I have done t-shirts)

These guys http://www.lsdesignonline.com/ gave me some pretty good price quotes when they first started up. Does someone want to contact them too (by phone) for comparison? They are in Athens also.

15. Dan4010

Dan4010 New Member

Follow up

Greetings Again everyone,

I am glad my first post has generated some extremly positive conversation on this topic. I see that we are all basically in agreement. So hopefully we can begin the process in each of these areas for the up coming gun shows and any future display booths. As for the shirts, my suggestion would be a small logo over the left chest area and a larger one on the back. You may even get some that say "Member" under the logo on the front of the shirt. Just a question, when anyone purchases shirts from the current vendor does any part of that come back to the organization??? Great input everyone... we are making very positive progress.

16. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

Getting people to visit this site can be a useful tool in generating sign ups. I found this site before knowing about GCO and signed up soon after...along with my lady friend.

17. gsusnake

Of course, there's only like three people who would know, because the rest of you bums didn't show...

18. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Re: Follow up

I'm not sure of the details, but a small portion does.

19. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

I was there, just didn't know about you guys then....looking back, you did have a great location at the show.

20. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I was there, too. Working at the table :D