Eastman Gun Show - Macon, GA

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by 3/325 AIR, Sep 10, 2016.

1. 3/325 AIR

3/325 AIR Member

I'll start by saying that this seemed like the right place for this rant. If not, please move it.

I used to really look forward to going to a gun show. It's great to be around a lot of "like-minded" folks, as well as looking at all of the weapons; old and new. I missed the last few shows in my area, so I was really looking forward to this one. I showed up 30 minutes early and assumed my place in line, striking up a conversation with a couple of gentleman immediately behind me in line. When 9:00am came around, an Eastman representative walked out and began to lay down the "rules", "all packs, purses, and weapons need to be checked by the Bibb County deputies at the first table. There are no loaded handguns permitted inside. If you have one, you will be instructed to return it to your vehicle. Knives are ok. Everyone will be 'wanded' before entering." I had already removed my weapon and secured it in my car before joining the line. This is standard for Eastman shows. I don't really like it, but there you go. I'm there to look at guns, not be a test-case. However, when he said "wanded", the trigger was pulled. "Wanded? The HELL you will!! I don't think that I should pay you to be treated this way!! Besides, there isn't anything in this show that I can't find on the internet. You can kiss my a$$!!!!" I put my $10 back in my pocket, walked back to my car, retrieved my weapon, and left. I'm sorry, but the fellowship and gun-culture atmosphere is not worth having to pay $10 AND get treated that way. Rant finished.

2. Feral

Feral Active Member

Clearly it's to stop that pesky gun show loophole.

3. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Was it at a public park or other public property?

4. tbill

tbill Member

It was at the Macon Coliseum. I went this afternoon. No wands were present. Folks were expected to voluntarily see the deputies to have the actions of their firearms zip tied. Nothing different from any gun show I've attended for years. It isn't much of a show for 10 bucks. Nothing approaching good pricing on firearms, optics, or other paraphernalia. Virtually no reloading equipment or supplies.

5. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Every time ive gone to one its hot as hades and reeks of body odor.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

liars

If a place is off-limits to guns, and they REALLY don't want the public carrying guns there (at least working guns, loaded, and not zip-tied), what's wrong with using wands or metal detectors?

I have ignored "no weapons allowed" signs at private businesses many times.
    Sometimes even at places that have security checkpoints (private facilities, not gov't buildings).

Other people WILL try to sneak a gun into a truly off-limits location, a secured government building.

I don't trust people to always to the legal thing, or the safe thing, or the "right thing," and I don't trust them not to lie about it if the security guard or cop just asks about weapons but doesn't check for them.

7. Phil1979

The Macon Coliseum is public property. If it's a government building, and if they have screening by LE then they can ban guns. Otherwise, they cannot.

8. Feral

Feral Active Member

Doesn't that fall into the whole "public property being rented by a private entity is actually private" fiasco?

9. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

So, I'm confused...was there or was there not wanding at the Eastman Gun Show in Macon this weekend?

10. Phil1979

HB 60 and HB 492 are still state law. There is no judge in Macon that has ruled otherwise, as has happened in Atlanta and Floyd County.

Our General Assembly needs to do something to fix this, or state preemption will continue to fall city by city, and county by county.

11. 3/325 AIR

3/325 AIR Member

I don't know. I left after I melted down. All that I know is that the Eastman rep said that there was "wanding". I didn't stick around to find out; just left. In the future, I'll just do my shopping on-line.

12. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

I heard from another source that there was wanding at the show. I don't blame you one bit. I would have left too.

13. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

If Matt Eastman or whoever is running his gun shows these days decided on the no-loaded-guns rule, and the government didn't come up with the rule or participate in enforcing it, is State preemption of local gun restrictions being violated?

16-11-173 says:

(b) (1) ... no county or municipal corporation, by zoning, by ordinance or resolution, or by any other means, nor any agency, board, department, commission, political subdivision, school district, or authority of this state, other than the General Assembly, by rule or regulation or by any other means shall regulate in any manner:

(A) Gun shows;

14. mark5019

mark5019 what me worry?

To my knowledge Matt Eastman passed away and as long as you get your weapon zip tied you can bring it in

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

This. Zip tied, empty mag, no loose ammo.

16. Phil1979

They can legally do that on actual private property. Not so much at a public park.