Duty to inform?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Ace12, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Ace12

Ace12 Member

Does Ga law state whether or not we have to inform LEO of CCW when pulled over for traffic violation ect....

2. Brian618

Brian618 New Member

There is no duty to inform in Georgia, but I plan to if the situation arises

3. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

There is no duty to inform. YMMV but I would not inform unless specifically asked or if the officer is about to find out anyway (you are about to be patted down, you are open carrying, you have to reach in its direction to get your paperwork, etc.). A routine traffic stop is not the time to inform in my opinion.

Per caselaw(Magesi) if an officer has reason to believe you have a gun he can search your person or vehicle. Even if you have the GFL, even if your aren't threatening, even if no crime is suspected. Please correct me if I'm wrong board lawyers.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/caselaw/megesivstate.htm

4. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Georgia has very broad and draconian laws. There are more off-limits places than any other state in the Union that actually allows carry. This is another reason not to inform.

How do you know that you aren't too close to a bus stop when pulled over (felony)?

What about a school (felony)?

Or a resturant that sells alcohol?

Church?

Etc, etc, etc............................

5. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

I thought you had safe passage through a school zone? The info in the GA gun laws seems a bit contradictory.

6. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

There is no duty to inform, but apparently a cop can assume that you're guilty of anything and everything until you prove otherwise.

*Sarcasm Off* - No you do not have to inform the officer that you are carrying during a routine traffic stop.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I don't.

8. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I would advise that unless the firearm is somehow going to become an issue that you do not mention it or otherwise draw attention to it.

9. ber950

ber950 Active Member

:exactly: What he said.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

That's just because you are anti-Leo! :lol:

11. ber950

ber950 Active Member

:rotfl: :pointlol: :rotfl2:

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:shock: :lol:

13. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I agree.

14. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

So he hates himself?

15. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

The person who said this is a Georgia LEO. :D

16. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

The person who said this is a Georgia lawyer. :D

17. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

You have "safe passage" through the 1,000 ft. "School Safety Zone" but this "safe passage" does not apply if you are on actual real property owned or leased by the school (for example you are pulled over by a LEO and stop in a school parking lot, you are NOT safe).

18. Brian618

Brian618 New Member

Based on what I've read here, I think I'll recant my previous position and not inform, unless it is likely to become an issue.

Thanks fellas!!

19. merlock

merlock New Member

:righton:

20. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

That's a wise choice. Less gun handling at a traffic stop is always the better choice.