Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
68,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Ron Paul looking to not be a winner in 2008, what do folks here think of Duncan Hunter? He came in third in a straw poll recently (114 to Giuliani's 121), and here are his own words on the Second Amendment.

Protecting Our Second Amendment Liberties

It seems every election year, some liberal politician dons an NRA cap and grabs a shotgun for a hunting photo-op, as if that means they support our right as Americans to keep and bear arms. I, myself, thoroughly enjoy hunting, having just recently spent a great weekend hunting elk in Arizona. But, the second amendment is not about hunting. It is about the right of you and me to be secure in our homes. We must vigorously defend against all attempts to chip away at the Second Amendment. You know as well as I do that there is one thing criminals prefer over any other: unarmed victims.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1782788/posts

Well? While I may not see eye to eye (Second Amendment is really about government control more than crime control), how many other presidential candidates have committed to writing that the Second Amendment is not about hunting?

He strikes me as a far better choice than Giuliani or McCain, although I must admit I want to study his positions and history more. I confess I do not know a whole lot about him.

·
68,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Gun Owners of America gives him an A rating (harder to get than NRA's rating).

·
68,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Voted YES on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers. (Oct 2005)
Voted YES on prohibiting suing gunmakers & sellers for gun misuse. (Apr 2003)
Voted YES on decreasing gun waiting period from 3 days to 1. (Jun 1999)
Rated A+ by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun rights voting record. (Dec 2003)
http://www.issues2002.org/CA/Duncan_Hun ... un_Control

·
68,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He was a Ranger in Vietnam.

173rd Airborne
75th Army Rangers

Bronze Star.

And his own son served two tours in Iraq.

·
68,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He was the author of the Secure Border Fence Act.

·
68,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took first place in a republican precinctmen straw poll in Arizona.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,861 Posts
I'll have to give him a closer look when I'm not supposed to be working, but I like what I see in that letter and on his website.

Will not having national name recognition hurt his chances of being elected?

·
68,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From townhall.com:

Moreover, there are a lot of different positions that many of the candidates have yet to take a stance on one way or the other. For example, there are 2nd Amendment issues. Hunter is "near perfect" there. A Balanced Budget Amendment? He supports it. What sort of judges would candidates appoint to the bench? Hunter would prefer someone like Scalia. Pardoning Border Patrol agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean? Hunter thinks that is the right thing to do. School vouchers, the missile defense shield, a 2/3 majority in Congress to raise taxes? Hunter is in favor of all of them.

·
68,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eugene Volokh, a name some of you may recognize, places him in the "top tier" on the Second Amendment, along with Ron Paul.

He puts Romney in the "poor" category, below even John McCain, which is still above the Second Amendment record of all but one Democratic candidate (even the southern ones) (the exception is Richardson, from New Mexico, who was issued his CCW recently).

http://volokh.com/posts/1169537461.shtml

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,861 Posts
"Strongly Opposes topic 2:
Require companies to hire more women & minorities

YES on ending preferential treatment by race in college admissions:

NO on $84 million in grants for Black and Hispanic colleges"

No offense to anyone, but there is no reason why blacks and hispanics can't compete with everyone else for college admissions and jobs. As far as "black colleges" are concerned, if I started a "white college" the NCAA and ACLU would have a fit.

·
Registered
775 Posts
His position and voting record concerning gun rights in relation to the 2nd Amendment is a good one, but his not having national name recognition will most likely kill his chances of being elected. Elections are about $ and name, whether national or local.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,861 Posts
Watch_Their_Hands said:
......his not having national name recognition will most likely kill his chances of being elected. Elections are about $ and name, whether national or local.
+1

·
Romans 10:13
4,637 Posts
I will certainly have to give him a closer look as well. Giuliani is certainly no friend of the 2nd Amendent although he trys to sell himself as if he is.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
I choose death before voting for Giuliani.

·
68,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,861 Posts
GeorgiaGlocker said:
Giuliani is certainly no friend of the 2nd Amendent although he trys to sell himself as if he is.
Giuliani claims that he inhereted NY's gun laws, and I'll agree that he did. BUT, if he were a true friend of the RTKBA, he would have done something to change them. HE DID NOTHING !

·
68,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He chaired the Armed Services Committee in the previous two Congresses and believes that the principal issue for the foreseeable future will be national security â€" not just Iraq and terrorism but also the rise of China's military . . .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts