Dumb question

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by duck'n'cover, Jan 11, 2011.

1. duck'n'cover

duck'n'cover New Member

Hey sorry if this has been answered before but I need to find out something real quick. Is it legal for a soldier in the us army that is not a resident of georgia to buy a hand gun in GA?

2. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Yes, and they may carry openly or concealed in the same places as a law enforcement officer.
    Research the laws at the top of this page, particularly OCGA 16-11-130.

Welcome to the forum!

3. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Heck! You've been around a while. You've just been quiet. :lol:

4. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I should add that I think they still need to be 21 to buy from an FFL, but they can buy from individuals at 18.

5. NullMatrix

NullMatrix Member

If deployed in Ga.

6. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

If you want to carry within 1000 ft. of a K-12 school you will need to have a GWL (has to be a GWL, not another state's license even if GA honors it) due to federal law (federal felony).

7. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

You should be able to do so. Just bring a copy of your Mil orders assigning you to your current duty station.

When you can, check with your local gun shop too.

8. Ty D

Ty D New Member

Active duty military can purchase handguns in GA as long as you bring your PCS orders with you to the dealer. TDY/TAD orders will not work. They must be PCS orders.

9. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle New Member

My experience has been that it depends on whether or not the FFL wants to do it. Being in Augusta, with SC right across the river, I have just had handguns transferred b/c I am a SC resident with a SC CWP.
    I know the MWR Range/Pro Shop here on Ft. Gordon will get just about anything for you and sell to you with your assignment orders (as others have articulated).