Dumb Question

Discussion in 'How to' started by goldspy, Nov 16, 2010.

1. goldspy

goldspy New Member

I see most people indicate approximately how many rounds have been shot through the guns they are selling. Other then obvious wear, is there a good way to gauge if the answer is true or not?

2. dunkel

dunkel New Member

3. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I've seen nearly pristine firearms with thousands of rounds through them and I've seen well used firearms that have hardly put a round downrange. A barrel lasts for several thousands of rounds before it may need replacement, so it's the overall quality of care I'd worry most about in a firearm.

Which would you rather have, a car that's 3yrs old and maintained by a teenager, or one that's 10yrs old and has only been driven to church and back by a little old lady? (Yes, gross assumptions, guys, but I think you get the drift.)

4. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

The rifling (when clean) can tell you a good bit about the condition of the gun as can the chamber(s).

I'd take a rang gun that saw 100-200 rounds and a good cleaning monthly for 10 years over an EDC that has been through 4 boxes of ammo, gone swimming a few times and been cleaned once in 3 years.

5. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

everytime I've looked at a used car the salesman has said it belonged to a little old lady that only drove it back and forth to church :D

6. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

I just picked a gun from someone on Monday night. The previous owner said that he had owned the gun for about 12yrs, 2-300 rounds thru it, and had never cleaned it.

It was in such good shape other than needing a good cleaning, I bought it anyway.

It took me a good 1/2 hr - 45 minutes to get it clean as it should be.

But, it sure does shine now. :)

Hope to make it to range tonight to put some rounds thru it.

7. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Depends on the gun and whether I thought the swim resulted in any rusting or weakness. 120 cleanings will wear down the rifling a good bit. By then, it would probably shoot like a Beretta.

8. RIA45

RIA45 New Member

I was gonna buy a .357 hog once. The guy said he never fired it after the first few shots the day he bought it. I believed him. When he showed me the revolver it was covered in dirt, grim, goo, and jelly.

Yes. Jelly. Grape.

I didn't buy it. He even dropped the price $50. I asked him where he stored it.

On the floorboard, no case, with the rest of the garbage.

9. goldspy

goldspy New Member

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate all the responses.