Drug possession question

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Foul, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Foul

Foul Guest

A friend of mine at work had a misdemeanor drug possession conviction back in the 80's.
    Now I know that he is prohibited from a CCW in Georgia, but I can't find the section prohibiting him from purchasing a firearm for home defense.

Am I missing something, or is he prohibited from possession as well as CCW?

His background was rejected without immediate official reason at the time of the attempted purchase.

Any advice from the legal eagles I can give him?

2. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

I thought it was only misdemeanor within 3 years you couldnt purchase.....and if this was a non violent drug crime (which im sure it is since its not a felony) its a ridiculous and another reason the war on drugs is a joke

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Federal prisons are a whole lot nicer than state prisons.

4. Malum Prohibitum

5. Malum Prohibitum

Does that cover misdemeanor drug offenses when you are neither a current user (assume to be true) nor addicted?

I dunno, but I doubt it. I would need to research it further to have an answer.

6. Foul

Foul Guest

I heard back from the buddy of mine. He received a letter explaining why he was denied the ability to purchase a handgun. Here's the story...

A friend of his, he had known since the age of 3, was arrested for a felony. This "friend" used my buddy's name, address and other data to give to the officers. Apparently, it's still floating around in the system.

Fulton county has sent him a finger print card and explained to him that he will have to get printed (to compare to the felon's prints, I would assume) and mail them back using the provided SASE so the prints can be run through the check system.

I'll let all know what becomes of this situation as things unfold.

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

8. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

What a joke.....hell he will probably end up needing a lawyer to get anything done with it.