Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, its that time of year...Christmas shopping time!

Apparently my 11 yr old son wants a drone with a camera. i had NO IDEA there were sooooooo many models of drones on the market ranging from $25 to THOUSANDS of dollars.

I have researched a plethora of models and have a list for ones priced between $150-$250 but I was wondering if anyone on here has experience or owns one in this price range. If you ave one that costs less, or a little more, that is fine...just trying to get some decent feedback or recommendations.

Any recommendation would be helpful as I need to order the darn thing this weekend...if not today.

Again, he is looking for that has a camera.

Thanks!

·
Registered
841 Posts
This is over your stated range, but it is an AWESOME drone and tons of fun. Includes 2.7k camera with gimbal (great quality) fly-by-GPS, auto take-off and landing, auto return to home if signal is lost, and you can preload flights paths and send it off for autonomous flights. The GPS component means that you can control it very easily, even in the wind, so he won't have it fly off and lose it. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-...905617&sr=8-3&keywords=dji+phantom+3+standard

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,911 Posts
I'm getting the best drone this year and I'm so excited about it! :) I love them!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Whatever you choose be sure you register and follow the rules.
https://registermyuas.faa.gov

Line of sight/ 400' max. Not within 5miles of airports or restricted areas. There are great apps abailable to help keep your son out of trouble.

I have the dji phantom 3 standard and advanced. The prices have dropped quite a bit since the launch of the phantom 4. The standard and advanced use different technology in rc to quad communication. The max range is quite obvious.

Quads are awesome and i have collected great pics of the areas i fly. I have not had any bad experiences with the antidrone crowd but they are out there.

Good luck on your choice and enjoy!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whatever you choose be sure you register and follow the rules.
https://registermyuas.faa.gov

Line of sight/ 400' max. Not within 5miles of airports or restricted areas. There are great apps abailable to help keep your son out of trouble.

I have the dji phantom 3 standard and advanced. The prices have dropped quite a bit since the launch of the phantom 4. The standard and advanced use different technology in rc to quad communication. The max range is quite obvious.

Quads are awesome and i have collected great pics of the areas i fly. I have not had any bad experiences with the antidrone crowd but they are out there.

Good luck on your choice and enjoy!
Thanks for the info...

Here's one I found...I would LOVE to get one of the Phantom Quads but not gonna spend $600 on something for a kid to crash. Have you seen the DJI Mavic Pro...it's sharp!

RC Quadcopter, Potensic Premium JJRC H8D RTF RC Drone with 2 Megapixels Camera, 5.8 GHz FPV Monitor LCD, Drone Carrying Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018AA255O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_uynvybRM2YYC8

Watched a couple of video reviews on YouTube as well about this model and it looks like a decent quad.

I'm gonna look some more tomorrow before clicking "buy".

·
Registered
59 Posts
yes the mavic pro is very nice. i like it more than the phantom 4.
i dont know anything about the quad you are looking at but it will provide quite a bit of entertainment! i know since i have started flying my quad- my rc planes have sat dormant!

i wouldnt worry much about the inevitable crash- it happens to everyone! plus part of the fun is rebuilding and getting back into the sky!

i have tons of pics that i have taken up here in north georgia. its amazing the quality of pics these quads can produce. i believe that you and your son will enjoy a quad a lot and you will end up getting one for yourself!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts