Driving with windshield down on a Jeep

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by pro2am, Mar 1, 2007.

1. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I am in the middle of restoring an 1974 Jeep CJ5. I had one when I was a teenager and had a great time folding the windshield down when driving the old logging trails in Michigan.

My question is, does anyone know if it's legal to drive on the road this way? I'm thinking that it's okay, as long as the windshield is affixed properly to the vehicle, which it will be, and folded down, which it is designed to do. Although I'll probably have to wear eye protection, but I would anyway.

I searched Georgia code and got 18 hits on "windshield" and my interpretation is that it will be okay.

Any thoughts?

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

If a dune buggy that has no windshield is legal to drive in GA (provided it had lights,seat belts, etc), I see no reason why you couldn't drive you jeep with th ewindshield folded down. Some form of my eye protection may come in handy though. And watch out for bugs....... My brother and I had his down in Memphis one day, and I caught a bug with my forehead at 65 mph.

3. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Caught a beatle one day while driving my old motorcycle, right on the forehead, looked like I had been hit at close range by a paintball. It hit me so hard I had to pull over and stop, thought I had been hit by a rock.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Why not just fold it down when off road?

I am afraid you are going to have a lot more difficulty finding a place to go off road exploring like that in Georgia than you experienced in Michigan. :cry:

5. pro2am

pro2am New Member

The windshield comes down in most off-road situations. I'll probably leave it up at higher speeds on-road, but for secondary roads and what not I thought it would be fun to keep it down.

I like to explore the forest service roads in Chattahoochee-Oconee national forest. Four wheel drive isn't needed really, but it can be fun. I used to go for many miles on trails in Michigan without seeing anyone. It was really nice. That just doesn't happen down here though.

6. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Windshield down?

Pro2am,
    I too am a jeep owner, can you tell by my screen name TJ2000? I have gone on the trails you speak of in the Chattahoochee-Oconee but the place to start is in Copper Hill Tenn. just north west of Blue Ridge Ga. There are places you will need four wheel drive and the best time is right after a good down pour. If you stop in at the Chamber of Commerce in Blue Ridge they will look at your jeep to make sure you can go on some of the trails. On some areas they recomend you have a winch just in case. I have never used mine on the trail for myself but I did help pull out a DNR SUV once. Some of the overlooks are breath taking veiws and if you go the whole way it is about 60 miles long and will take between 5-8 hours so make sure you start at Copper Hill with a full tank of gas.
    Enjoy your trip. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Take care,

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

When exploring forrest service roads up around Blue Ridge just keep an eye for those of us who explore them on mountain bikes and horse back.

8. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Oh Ya!!!!

Adam5 is right about them mountain bikers and hikers but I found if you clean"em right and dress them out they taste just like chicken.
    Take care, :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

9. pro2am

pro2am New Member

tj2000, thanks for the tip on Copper Hill. Right now the Jeep is still being re-built (just got the motor back from the shop) so it might be awhile before I can make it up there. With any luck it will be in the summer.

Not to worry Adam5, I always keep an eye out for others.

10. curtdiss

curtdiss Member

I have had a few Jeeps through out the years...my first was a 72 CJ5 with a 3 spd and built 304 , headers with glass packs :p

For some reason I think you cannot legally drive with the windshield down...but IF you got pulled over I doubt you would get a ticket, probably just ask you to put it up. It would suck to get nailed in the face with some road debris :lol:

I used to camp off the fire roads in the area you speak...fun times

11. gunsbillygun

gunsbillygun New Member

i was pulled over when i was a teenager for not having a windshild in my car (datson f10) long story there,but anyway, got a ticket went to court ,and it got thrown out, the law states you must have working wipers, and no cracks that block the drivers view, no were does it state that you have to HAVE a windshield.