Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are there any beaches close to savannah that you can drive out on, or do you have to go to florida? im buying a 4wd truck soon and we want to take the grill and go to the beach and have a nice afternoon.

any help is appreciated.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
4wd truck + salty beach = RUST!

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,723 Posts
id go to the river....you can drive right on down to the beach on them here in a few places and its not salt water :p

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
308sniper said:
are there any beaches close to savannah that you can drive out on, or do you have to go to florida? im buying a 4wd truck soon and we want to take the grill and go to the beach and have a nice afternoon.

any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rmodel65 said:
i dont believe you can drive on any beach in GA.....and the closest one i know of is Daytona....
thats what im afraid of.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Savvy Jack said:
Not from just a 1 time weekend deal. This happens over a period of time Just sayin

BTW we go to daytona and you can drive there but it's 15 bucks and they have strict rules about camping with a grill and party time . I even think we saw a sign that says something to that nature of not allowing it . I guess from people throwing trash on the ground .

Also you don't need a 4x4 we used a honda fit

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,109 Posts
I rode a bicycle along the beach for a few hours one weekend at Jekyll Island. I never went "in" the water but I got some moisture from the spray, since I was riding on the hard-packed damp sand maybe 5-10 feet from the water's edge, not on the very loose dry sand.

My bicycle rusted badly. I rode it on Saturday and Sunday, took it home Sunday night, and didn't get around to washing it off until maybe Tuesday. Lost of rust on all the steel parts.

G

·
I worked at a bike rental shop on the beach in High School. No amount of washing you do can get the fine salt and sand off your bike (or truck) and it will rust.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
Tech5 said:
Savvy Jack said:
Not from just a 1 time weekend deal. This happens over a period of time Just sayin

BTW we go to daytona and you can drive there but it's 15 bucks and they have strict rules about camping with a grill and party time . I even think we saw a sign that says something to that nature of not allowing it . I guess from people throwing trash on the ground .

Been many years since I've been to Daytona Beach. Am I to understand they now charge to drive onto the beach?

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,723 Posts
gunsmoker said:
I rode a bicycle along the beach for a few hours one weekend at Jekyll Island. I never went "in" the water but I got some moisture from the spray, since I was riding on the hard-packed damp sand maybe 5-10 feet from the water's edge, not on the very loose dry sand.

My bicycle rusted badly. I rode it on Saturday and Sunday, took it home Sunday night, and didn't get around to washing it off until maybe Tuesday. Lost of rust on all the steel parts.
an aluminum bike is your friend ;)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
phantoms said:
Tech5 said:
Savvy Jack said:

Been many years since I've been to Daytona Beach. Am I to understand they now charge to drive onto the beach?
Yes it was free few years ago, now they do charge you to ride on the beach and you can only drive so far also.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
gunsmoker said:

I have drove on the beach and even got close enough to have water all over the wheels and underneath the vehicles , I have been doing this for years and years , as we go every 6 months . NEVER a single rust sport at all , I am sure metals on a car vs a bike is complete different as most all cars comes with coating that helps protect from rust unlike a bike. And yes I jack all my cars up and service them and check thru out the vehicle to check for any problems . And never once a single rust issue .

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
rmodel65 said:
gunsmoker said:

an aluminum bike is your friend ;)
Or plastic :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
563 Posts
It's been quite a few years since I've been there, but we used to drive on the beach at St. Augustine. It cost like $10 or so back in the early 90's. It is also slightly closer. Not sure if you still can though. Call 411 for the PD down there, and ask.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Daytona still allows it though it is not one contiguous run like it used to be. They make you get off for a good deal of the central area. used to be able to drive on part of Amelia Island beach. At no time will you need 4 wheel drive

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
YZ#58 said:
It's been quite a few years since I've been there, but we used to drive on the beach at St. Augustine. It cost like $10 or so back in the early 90's. It is also slightly closer. Not sure if you still can though. Call 411 for the PD down there, and ask.
Yes, you can. And there's a fee only during high season.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Wait a while. The beach will come to you,.................on December 21st, 2012. :lol:

When I want to drive on the beach, it's well worth the cost of a rental car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts