Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Liver Abuser
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be flying to CA and driving back on I-40. I have checked the various sites and, in general, think the correct information has been gathered. If anyone cares to double check this or poke holes, it would be greatly appreciated.

Did not include off-limits restrictions. This is not vacation. Will be driving, stopping for fuel/food and lodging only.

CA - Locked in case, unloaded, ammo separated along with a flashing neon orange sign "For Your Safety" or "For the Children!" :screwy: (I am a California native and hate the laws there. . . ) GWL/GFL not honored.

AZ- Open/Concealed, no permit required. GFL/GWL Irrelevant. :righton: Roadside rest-stops OK, Signs have force of law.

NM - Open carry only, GFL/GWL not honored. Cannot carry concealed without permit. Roadside rest-stops OK, Signs have force of law.

TX - Concealed carry only. Must also be concealed in vehicle. No open carry. GFL/GWL Honored. Roadside rest-stops OK. Signs have force of law.

LA - Open/Concealed, GFL/GWL honored. Roadside rest-stops okay, unless posted. Signs have force of law. No restaurant w/alcohol carry.

MS - Open/Concealed, GFL/GWL Honored. Roadside rest-stops OK. Signs have force of law.

AL - Open/Concealed, GFL/GWL Honored. Roadside rest-stops OK. Signs do not have force of law, except in prohibited places

GA - HOME!! :D

Any input is greatly appreciated,

JDD

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
45_Fan said:
On the list? http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/
Mags over 10 rounds?
Threaded barrel?

Not sure what of that applies to something just passing through CA, but thought it was worth mentioning just in case.
Except that, as I understand the federal peaceable journey law, the gun has to be legal and legally possessed in the states you are leaving from and going to. So the federal law does not cover the gun in California if it is illegal there, although it would cover the other states between there and here.

So, is it illegal in California, is the question.

·
Liver Abuser
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No issues with California laws unless I am there over 60 days. If there that long, i have to register my gun. According to the CalGuns Foundation website, personally owned handguns brought into the state do not have to be on the DOJ list. The list refers to what 'safe' handguns can be sold in the state, not possessed.

I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
janedoedad said:
AL - Open/Concealed, GFL/GWL Honored. Roadside rest-stops OK. Signs do not have force of law, except in prohibited places
There are ZERO prohibited places in AL. The only thing off limits is at a "public demonstration" or within 1000 feet of one after being told to leave by LEO.

That being the case, there are alot of sheriffs in AL that make up their own rules.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Let's not forget the 1000 foot school zones if you are not a state permitee.....

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,108 Posts
I forget about that law all the time.

Reality check: you can't drive anywhere without passing by some school. Even if you stay on the interstate. Your interstate highway route will likely have you rolling past the campus of some college or university. And the federal 1000 foot rule applies to the distance to the property line for the grounds, not the buildings themselves.
EDITED: Well it looks like the Federal Gun-Free School Safety Zone law only applies to "elementary" and "secondary" education facilities, so don't worry about postsecondary education. Don't worry about daycares that are not licensed as schools. Just worry about normal K-12 schools (public or private).

It's impossible to obey this law and use the public highways of this nation to travel, as you will be regularly passing by schools whose property lines come within 1000 feet of the road you're on.

·
Liver Abuser
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Made it out of California yesterday, spent the night in AZ. Heading to Albuquerque tonight. NM Open carry law is kinda silly when it is cold. Oh Well, only 160 or so miles left. Then into Texas . . .

JDD

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Texas is a bore to drive thru!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts