Drivers license ?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by a_springfield, Nov 10, 2017.

1. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

I am confused on the wording of this.

1. Single vehicle less than 26,000lb
    2. Any vehicle towing trailer less than 10,000lb
    3. Any vehicle towing trailer more than 10,000lb, as long as they but are less than 26,000
    4. Any RV

Don't two and three contradict each other?

2. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

I don't think so. I see three separate possibilities. V = vehicle weight and T = trailer weight:

1) V <= 26,000lb
    2) V <= 26,000lb + T <= 10,000lb
    3) T > 10,000lb; V+T <=26,000lb

So if your trailer is <10klb, your vehicle can be up to 26klb for a total weight of 36klb. If your trailer is >10klb, then trailer plus vehicle can only be 26klb total.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

No, the law says “any SUCH vehicle.” Not “any vehicle.”
    The vehicle towing the trailer has to be rated for a gross weight (which includes any bed or cargo carrying capacity using that same frame and axles) of 26K lbs. or less.

Actual curb weight doesn’t matter here.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  4. gunsmoker

As GoDores observed, the law treats lighter trucks with extra-heavy duty trailers differently, putting an absolute 26,000 lb capacity limit on them.

This makes sense because it’s safer to tow little trailers with big trucks than to try to keep control of a heavy trailer with a small truck.

5. gunsmoker

The weird thing is that you need a class “A” CDL to drive a bob-tail (no trailer, no cargo box or bed of any kind) truck tractor that may only weigh 16,000 lbs full of fuel and three fat men traveling with big sets of luggage filled with rocks and tools.

What counts is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for that engine/chassis/axle setup, and such a truck (the tractor only) may be rated for 50,000 lbs.

( The manufacturer rates it that high not only so that you could tow a trailer full of cargo , but also that you could use that same engine and chassis to build some customized vehicle that has an attached cargo box right on the rails itself. In other words, you could take off the fifth wheel attachment and bolt- on a 20 foot bed to make a short flat bed truck that could carry something like one roll of steel.

6. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Ok, I was have trouble deciphering legalese.
    Then why does the back of my license say trailer less than or equal to 10,000.
    This whole weight thing is crap. An 80 year old man can drive a 50' class a camper pulling a car hauler. But I am worried about a bobcat trailer.