Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Class C

Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating not in excess of 26,000 pounds, any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating not in excess of 10,000 pounds, any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating in excess of 10,000 pounds, provided that the combination of vehicles has a gross combined vehicle weight rating not in excess of 26,000 pounds, and any self-propelled or towed vehicle that is equipped to serve as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel purposes and is used solely as a family or personal conveyance.
I am confused on the wording of this.

1. Single vehicle less than 26,000lb
2. Any vehicle towing trailer less than 10,000lb
3. Any vehicle towing trailer more than 10,000lb, as long as they but are less than 26,000
4. Any RV

Don't two and three contradict each other?

·
Like a Boss
3,034 Posts
I don't think so. I see three separate possibilities. V = vehicle weight and T = trailer weight:

1) V <= 26,000lb
2) V <= 26,000lb + T <= 10,000lb
3) T > 10,000lb; V+T <=26,000lb

So if your trailer is <10klb, your vehicle can be up to 26klb for a total weight of 36klb. If your trailer is >10klb, then trailer plus vehicle can only be 26klb total.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,534 Posts
I am confused ....
Don't two and three contradict each other?
No, the law says "any SUCH vehicle." Not "any vehicle."
The vehicle towing the trailer has to be rated for a gross weight (which includes any bed or cargo carrying capacity using that same frame and axles) of 26K lbs. or less.

Actual curb weight doesn't matter here.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,534 Posts
As GoDores observed, the law treats lighter trucks with extra-heavy duty trailers differently, putting an absolute 26,000 lb capacity limit on them.

This makes sense because it’s safer to tow little trailers with big trucks than to try to keep control of a heavy trailer with a small truck.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,534 Posts
The weird thing is that you need a class “A” CDL to drive a bob-tail (no trailer, no cargo box or bed of any kind) truck tractor that may only weigh 16,000 lbs full of fuel and three fat men traveling with big sets of luggage filled with rocks and tools.

What counts is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for that engine/chassis/axle setup, and such a truck (the tractor only) may be rated for 50,000 lbs.

( The manufacturer rates it that high not only so that you could tow a trailer full of cargo , but also that you could use that same engine and chassis to build some customized vehicle that has an attached cargo box right on the rails itself. In other words, you could take off the fifth wheel attachment and bolt- on a 20 foot bed to make a short flat bed truck that could carry something like one roll of steel.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I was have trouble deciphering legalese.
Then why does the back of my license say trailer less than or equal to 10,000.
This whole weight thing is crap. An 80 year old man can drive a 50' class a camper pulling a car hauler. But I am worried about a bobcat trailer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.