Drive-By Shooting Suspect Killed By Police

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Sharky, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Drive-By Shooting Suspect Killed By Police

POSTED: 5:58 am EDT June 25, 2007

ATHENS, Ga. -- Police shot and killed a man and arrested three others after two drive-by shootings that took place in north Clarke County.

Cesar Wilfredo Lopez, 22, was fatally shot by Athens-Clarke County police early Sunday, said the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, which is investigating the shooting.

The shooting happened when two officers on patrol spotted a vehicle matching the description of a car used in drive-by shootings and after a short chase, stopped the car carrying five men.

While the driver remained in the car and was arrested, the four others fled. Two of the men who fled were caught and arrested and one got away.

But the officers said they shot Lopez after he pointed a gun at them, said John Heinen, special agent in charge of the GBI's Athens office.

Heinen would not say whether Lopez fired at the officers.

"We will have to do more investigating into that," Heinen said, though he added that the officers and witnesses tell consistent stories about what happened.

In the meantime, both officers have been placed on administrative leave, a routine step as the GBI investigates the shooting, according to Assistant Police Chief Alan Brown.

The three men who were arrested all have gang connections, according to Athens-Clarke County Police Capt. Clarence Holeman.

Jose Herman Ramirez, 26; Luis Ernesto Sanabria, 30; and Alfredo Sanabria, 20, have been charged with four counts of aggravated assault and violating the Georgia Street Gangs Act.

Luis Ernesto Sanabria and Alfredo Sanabria also were charged with obstruction of a law enforcement officer. Ramirez, who was wounded in a gang-related drive-by shooting in 2004, was driving the car, police said.

2. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Glad to see one less bad guy in the system!

3. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Reminds me of that saying I think I saw on a Marine Corps bumper sticker - "Kill 'em all and let God sort it out. Our job is to arrange the meeting."

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, I've seen variations of that one, too. 8)