Draw your weapon, or not?

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by AtlPhilip, May 3, 2016.

1. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Had an interesting discussion this morning regarding care burglaries and armed response. Given the picture below, I had a husband and wife both argue that they would not draw their weapon. I disagreed completely, but I'm curious if anyone else here shares their opinion, and why.

First, the picture offered for discussion
    [​IMG]

And a few of their comments:

Her:
    "as a responsible gun owner I wouldn't draw out on him unless I absolutely had no other choice"

"aside from this guy breaking into a car he isn't a "threat" to "my" life by walking up on him according to this picture"

"with my weapon on me.... but as far as drawing on them without reason that my friend is absurd"

"they aren't all bad like I said you don't know thier situation.... but of course if you come with a gun pointed to thier face then yeah it could make the situation automatically turn for the worse."

Him:
    "restraint is key. My rule which WILL differ from a lot of views is simple, If I draw I'm discharging simple as that."

"It's clear both of his hands are visible therefore you have the advantage, ahh aggressive movements will requirea draw from me and like I said a discharge"

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  2. Feral

Feral Active Member

If I was that close to them, they could easily close that distance and attack me.

I would draw. I wouldn't fire yet, but my firearm would be at low and ready.

This is assuming I stumbled upon the crime. If I was at a SAFE distance then I would not approach them. I would call the police.

3. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

If it were me , I would draw and make ready to fire. If he walks towards me I will probably fire.

4. AtlPhilip

Forgot to mention. This is your car, in your driveway.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  6. AtlPhilip

I know you're kidding, but that was actually a suggestion by a different person.

"pistol whip him up the back side of the head. Amazing how many people are just apt to pull the trigger."

7. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

Hmm. All I really know that he looks like he's related to one of THESE guys...

Coincidence?

Attached Files:

8. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

As Feral said, distance is key. Less than 25ft, I'm going to draw and be in low ready at the very least. He could possibly have a screwdriver or other tool in his hand and could easily close that distance.

Beyond that distance, probably not draw, but certainly be ready to.

Az

9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

The car thief I interrupted had a pry bar, but no mask.
    I challenged him from 50 feet away. He tried talking his way out of it as he walked closer. At 25 feet I drew and ordered him to stop. Had my handgun at low ready. He turned and ran.

10. AtlPhilip

You're nervier than I. As soon as he began closing I would have acquired a solid sight picture.

11. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Not sure if that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, but it's certainly in the running for top spot.
    I can't imagine the millisecond timing it would have to take to only draw when the threat was 'real' enough to warrant shooting and killing someone. A millisecond too late and you risk being killed. A millisecond too early, when the perpetrator drops the weapon as he sees your response and you've killed a man.
    Any half decent county solicitor would have a field day if they could attribute that quote to someone who had been forced to kill someone in self defense, they'd point out to the jury that it indicated the shooter was predisposed to shooting and murdering someone, just looking for the opportunity to come along.

12. phaed

phaed Active Member

if i had to guess, i'd probably at least draw.

13. Malum Prohibitum

LOL! If you had to guess . . .

14. MouserGun

MouserGun New Member

I'm not good at art:

[​IMG]

15. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Absolutely draw, go to low ready, and I'd be yelling. "Stop!" "Get on the ground!" And call 911. (and hope he runs away) Be a good witness but armed and ready.

You can use force or the threat of force to stop a property crime, but not deadly force. Deadly force allowed, if justified by a bad guy attack where you fear for your life or serious injury to yourself, or to others.

16. phaed

phaed Active Member

i think other interesting questions might be: what would you do in this situation if there were no government? and, does this answer differ from the initial one?

17. Malum Prohibitum

How long does it take you to draw your weapon? Have you been practicing?

18. Siege

Siege Active Member

Would I draw? Yes. Someone in that kind of get up, caught in that particular act, is very likely to have a high propensity for violence - regardless of whether it was in my own driveway.

But pull the trigger?

That's an easy answer: only in defense of self or other innocent from a violent (or "forcible") felony, which is not what is pictured: merely a burglary.