Dragon*Con

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by asbrand, Aug 23, 2007.

1. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

So...anybody else here, aside from me, a geek at heart?

Will you be attending Dragon*Con this coming weekend?

If so...hunt me down. I work on the security staff.

[​IMG]

Everybody calls me "Az".

2. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Good luck with this crowd...

3. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I'll be otherwise occupied

4. Ashe

Ashe New Member

I quit going to dragon con several years ago, I was on security back in the mid 90's. I got fed up with the head of security's ego and told him to sod off. never went back.

5. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

LOL - he got "fired" a couple of years ago.

New guy is MUCH nicer and nobody complains about him.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

"fired"?

what he do?

7. budder

A furry?

8. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

:lol:

I've not been in several years. The wife ain't too crazy about me going because an ex of mine was a fan. She, the ex, was also big into skimpy costumes so the wife isn't too keen on me going & bumping into the ex. I'd like to go but I don't do the gaming stuff anymore (sorry all d&d after 1st ed is just a way to make money) don't even get me started on ccg's like MTG or even worse Warhammer & it's various incarnations. Talk about something that is a money pit! OMG.... Anyway I always enjoy walking the dealer room and the art galleries and a few of the shows and music but it's a bit expensive and the only way to really enjoy it is to have a ready supply of Crowne Royal and Grey Goose on hand for extended hours of people watching. I'm getting a bit old to spend an entire weekend being moderately intoxicated.

For all those who read this thread & have never been I suggest you must go and people watch on Sat night. You don't even have to pay a dime. Just hit the main hotel find a spot at the bar and watch. Almost everyone/thing worth seeing will walk by. Some of the really good stuff to see & do can't leave private rooms. 8)

9. ber950

ber950 Active Member

10. tony218

tony218 New Member

For all those who read this thread & have never been I suggest you must go and people watch on Sat night. You don't even have to pay a dime. Just hit the main hotel find a spot at the bar and watch. Almost everyone/thing worth seeing will walk by. Some of the really good stuff to see & do can't leave private rooms. 8)[/quote]

i second that.

11. gsusnake

Hell yes.

Cons are always fun. Anime Weekend Atlanta is a blast for peoplewatching, too.

12. budder

What time of year is that? I was in town for St. Patty's this year and I saw a bunch of people dressed up at the Varsity. They said it was something at Tech...

13. gsusnake

Septemberish.

St. Patty's Day... nothing beats Savannah.

14. budder

What's about Ireland?

15. gsusnake

Never been to Ireland on St. Patty's.

Boston and New York, while fun, were not as much fun as Savannah.

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

So what does security do at this thing? Keep the elves and the orcs apart? :lol:

17. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

There is a place in Savannah called "Spanky's". I happened in there in '96 when I was down there for the All Armed Forces Skeet Tournement at Forest City Gun Club. Me and my buddy were sittin there enjoyin our beers and a guy down the bar started talking to us and bought us a round. Turns out he owns the place and when he finds out we are Marines we don't pay for anything the rest of the night! They had a bartender that was funny as heck and he kept making us all these crazy drinks I had never heard of. Even gave us a couple of polo shirts with thier thier logo on it and a dancing leprechan on em. We closed the place. Shot like hell the next day but it was worth it. If you happen in to Spankys tell the owner I said hey and thanks again. He'll remember me as the drunk Marine that puked in the planter outside his bar, but acording to him it wasn't the first time that ever happened! LOL.

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

They were not beer at all, or they were imported beer? :D

19. gsusnake

I know Spanky's well.

Love the spuds.

I spent most of St. Patty's '04 holding down a barstool in there, drinking Car Bombs until I blacked out.

St. Patty's '05 was spent in Kevin Barry's, doing the same thing...