[dpms lr-308] Done [Finally]

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by BWCustoms, Nov 19, 2010.

1. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

Have the quad rail, not on yet - but shes good to go for her first trip sunday to the range.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Not enough black. Needs more black. :lol: Looks good as is. Looks nice and sleek right now.

3. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Join GCO and come out to pick up trash on Saturday,

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=53018

and we'll take you to a short range on the farm. :wink:

ETA: MY Bad! "DJ" is a GCO member. IDK what I was thinking! :oops:

4. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

BTW; This is a work of art!

5. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

6. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

I also see a set of good books behind there..... the Dark Tower series. :righton: (You did know that the book The Talisman also has some of the Dark Tower story in it didn't you?)

7. seajay

I think we need a AR .308 thread. After you get it broke in we need a range report with what ammo works best and group sizes.

That's a mighty fine rifle you have built. The look is fantastic as well.

8. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

Zero'd @ about 100 bang bang

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. JMan

JMan New Member

where is this range at?

10. seajay

So how did it shoot?

11. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

Range is out in Edgefield, SC - I dont know the name of it - about 30 minutes from Augusta

Shoots perfect minus some feeding issues with the mags, either they need to be worn in more, oiled up real good, or replaced out right.

I have some Magpul Polly mags inbound just in case.

12. foxtrotterz

foxtrotterz New Member

Good looking rifle! What model scope is that?

Also, hope I don't come off as rude, but that looks like an energy drink on the table(maybe not even yours). If you are just trying to zero, maybe that doesn't affect you much. Personally, I avoid all caffeine, I am talking coffee and coke, I couldn't imagine drinking an energy drink before/while shooting the smallest most accurate groups possible.

13. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

Simmons WTC 6.5x20 50mm

As far as the energy drink goes I noticed about an hour into shooting I was getting a bit rowdy - but I already had the scope zero'd perfectly by then. By that time we were shooting for fun, like a nice pumpkin someone left for us @ the 100 yard line. :shattered:

14. seajay

What ammo were you using? I have 15 ([s:3qf50c03]20[/s:3qf50c03] er 19 round) DPMS mags and never had a feed problem with any of them.

15. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Describe your feeding issue.

What I'm kinda looking for is the behavior of the bolt when stripping/feeding a round....

Did it seem as though the bolt slowed down too much feeding ammo that it lost the energy to fully return to battery?

Did the ammo not seem to feed correctly?

Was it extracting and ejecting properly?

It may just need some breaking in and some heavy lube til it gets going... but I'm curious.

16. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

Wolf Ammo. (an ammo I use for my pistols all the time for range plinking without anything issue)

All rounds extracted just fine (when it fired).

Out of 100 rounds only about 3 jammed halfway.

About 20 rounds would not feed from the magazine into the chamber (2 stock mags, 1 C-Knight 10 round mag). As in the previous round would fire and the bolt would open and close completely as if a new round was fed, but you pull the trigger and just *click* - nothing. Had to pull the charging handle back, jimmy the mag a little, then let the charging handle go and it would load.

Even for cheap grade ammo, I just find THAT many failures a bit odd.

17. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

i dont like the wolf ammo in my ar. pmc is my cheap ammo of choice.

18. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

In a few weekends Im going to go buy some "mid-grade & hi-grade" ammo to see if the issue persists.

I just dont see how its the ammos fault if when the spent cartridge is ejected just fine, but the new round fails to even leave the mag. The whole cycle of eject to reload works flawless, minus the fact the new round would sometimes not even leave the mag...at all.

Edit: By the way my $21.00 Bi-Pod is working just fine for those wondering :cantsay: (you'd have to read my dpms build thread to understand)