Dozen dead in bar shooting

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018...lifornia-bar-authorities-181108082412734.html

Dean said Long was armed with a Glock 21, a .45-caliber handgun designed to hold 10 rounds plus one in the chamber.

But the sheriff added the gun had an extended magazine that is illegal in California. The sheriff said he does not know how many rounds that magazine can hold.

There were also reports that the gunman used smoke bombs before opening fire. ​

2. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Former Marine that had a few run ins with the law who thought he may have PTSD.

Shot the security guard outside before entering. Also killed a officer. Report of smoke bombs seems to have been false.

3. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Extended Glock mags can hold up to at least 30 rounds.

How's that ban working out in CA?

4. Malum Prohibitum

Apparently targeted multiple security guards inside first as well.

5. Malum Prohibitum

I guess having half a dozen armed police officers already there inside does not stop mass shootings, either.

6 off-duty officers were in the bar last night

There were six off-duty officers from various agencies inside the Borderline Bar & Grill at the time of the shooting, Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean said.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/california-shooting-intl/index.html

6. Malum Prohibitum

"This guy just came out of nowhere and came out with a gun and shot people in Thousand Oaks, California," Harrah said. "And that's what's really blowing my mind, it's a really safe area."

Comment from bar patron. :roll:

7. Malum Prohibitum

Investigators knocked on doors of surrounding residents to find out what they may know about Long. One neighbor who knew Long said he was a veteran who suffered from PTSD. She said, "I don't know what he was doing with a gun."

Others said Long lived at the home with his mother. Richard Berge, a friend and neighbor Long's mother, said Long's mother was worried about her son.

"He wouldn't get help," Berge said.
    https://6abc.com/thousand-oaks-shooting-suspect-what-we-know/4645948/

8. DKW

DKW Active Member

Article doesn't say they were armed. Could have been but might not have been. wonder what the CA law says about off-duty officers being armed while consuming alcohol (which i assume they were doing).

9. Malum Prohibitum

If I understand the article correctly, they were working security off duty. Or maybe I just read that into it, since I used to be an officer and figured that is what was happening due to the event taking place . . .

And I can assure you off duty cops carry even if consuming alcohol. I'm just saying.

10. Malum Prohibitum

"It appears he walked up to the scene, shot the security guard that was standing outside, stepped inside, turned to the right, shot several other security and employees and began opening fire inside the nightclub," the sheriff told reporters. "We have no idea what the motive is at this point."
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ne-bar-grill-thousand-oaks-california-n933831

I assumed those would be the off duty officers, but I could obviously be wrong.

The bar had hundreds inside.

11. Malum Prohibitum

12. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

So, let's see what we have here:

Suspect had prior encounters with the police.
    Bar had security guard.
    Bar had literally a squad of off-duty, almost-certainly armed policemen inside.

Bar got shot up anyway, in spite of this being the "good guys with guns" fantasy scenario.

So what's the solution here? I can think of the OBVIOUS ones, but interested in hearing what the realistic countermeasures go beyond "have a bunch of armed good guys on hand"?

DH

13. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

CA does not allow carry anywhere that alcohol is sold for consumption. I don’t believe they have exempt off duty officers from that.

14. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

In my experience, off-duty police tend to ignore two things: traffic ordinances and most gun laws (public gathering, bars, etc), so I would be pretty surprised if they weren't carrying.

We shall see as reports unfold.

DH

15. DKW

DKW Active Member

That was my thought about the "off-duty cops" as well.

16. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Various news reports I have viewed stated the officers were unarmed.

News reports I have viewed (sheriff news conference) stated the prior police contact were a traffic ticket, a separate auto accident for which he was not given a ticket and a neighborhood disagreement.

The neighborhood disagreement resulted in the mental health services being called in. They determined on scene that their involvement was not needed and shooter was not taken into custody or detained.

I believe the Sheriff called that a 1051 or 1056 evaluation. Similar situations in FL are referred to as Baker Act.

Also, the Sheriff's news conference confirmed the cops inside were unarmed.

Nemo

17. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Anything to promote a safe space... :roll:

18. Malum Prohibitum

Cite to California law, please?

19. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

New report from CBS says that Sheriff and local mental health emergency response team cleared the shooter this year and decided against involuntyarily committing him for observation. Also, as for the 6 peace officers and not carrying - as of 2018 CA Law does NOT restrict carry in places that serve alcohol.

YES
    In Restaurants That Serve Alcohol

“Yes” or “No” states if you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Some restaurants may be posted with “NO GUN” signs. Check with the staff if this means just the bar area. If we have indicated a “Yes” then it should be legal to have a meal without drinking alcohol.

The California issuing authority can put a restriction on your permit stating No Bars, if that is the case you cannot enter any place that serves alcohol.
    https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/california-gun-laws/#ca-law

20. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

That's a pretty interesting restriction!

"Sir, can I carry a gun?"

- "Sure son... wait, you're the boy who got drunk at the county fair and caused such a ruckus, if I rightly remember?"

"Yessir."

- "Well okay, you can carry a gun, but you steer clear of them bars, you hear me?"

"Yessir!"

DC