downtown Beruit explosion

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by gunsmoker, Aug 4, 2020.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=ujhPG_1596556606

A huge explosion took out a section of downtown Beirut, Lebanon today.
    I guess there was a small first explosion or a fire and then while emergency services people were on the scene dealing with that, a huge second explosion went off.
    It looked to me like several tons worth of high explosives.

2. gunsmoker

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020

3. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

A Big Bang.

"General Security chief Abbas Ibrahim said: 'It appears that there is a warehouse containing material that was confiscated years ago, and it appears that it was highly explosive material.'
    Pointing to what appears to be fireworks shooting out of the smoke, experts said a combination of fireworks and highly flammable fertiliser could have sparked such an explosion".

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...losion-rocks-Beirut-destroying-buildings.html

4. Mstr-Chris

Mstr-Chris Well-Known Member

That's quite an explosion. Which one of you did it?

5. gunsmoker

A rich arab oilman who just got delivery of 1000 lbs of Tannerite exploding target material,
    and tested it at his private indoor range.

6. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Unless every "firework" went off at the same time, I doubt it. Regardless, that's not gonna buff out easily.

7. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Many thousands of tons of ammonium nitrate might well surprise you. All you need is the means to set it off.

8. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

In the 80s, the Gary McKee morning drive time show on WQXI FM was the funniest thing around. They had an "advertisement" about a week-long vacation in Sunny Beruit.

The hotel mentioned in the ad had "flow thru" ventilation.

It's really sick that this would pop into my mind at this time...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  9. moe mensale

Captain Obvious went with the first quote. It very well could have been ammonium nitrate. I don't buy the fireworks part though.

10. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

Yeah, ammonium nitrate. If you read the hazmat instructions, quite a few sections address fire department handling in the event there's a fire near a storage facility. I would definitely not want to be a firefighter on an ammonium nitrate storage call.

Honestly, it's almost an inevitability that, over time (and with little incident), folks just get lazy. Ammonium nitrate is supposed to be stored behind a 2-hour firewall; not sure how long the trigger fire was burning, but way less than 2 hours.

Years ago, when I worked as a radiochemist, I used to have to do the annual Nuclear Regulatory recertification, and one year the trainer mentioned the bomb grade plutonium which was removed from Georgia Tech (back in the 90s, I think). It wasn't actually possible to legally remove it, because there's too much urban density around the campus, so they loaded the containers on flatbeds and rolled them down 10th street to the Interstate at 3am, so as to have a much traffic clearance as possible. Of course, nothing happened, but that's the way it goes - relaxed standards are fine and dandy until they aren't!

DH

Harhib likes this.
  11. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

12. moe mensale

13. gunsmoker

Quote from one article on Twitter:

"The Ammonium Nitrate being stored in a Beirut warehouse consisted of 2750 tons — 55,000 pounds or approximately 25,000 kgs..."

Um, no.
    Not even close.
    2,750 TONS (at 2,000 lbs per ton)
    is 5.5 million pounds.

Heck, a single 18-wheel freight truck could carry 55,000 lbs of the stuff.

So, 2750 tons = 100 fully loaded big rig trucks' worth.

14. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Hezbollah just murdered a whole city. Whether through incompetence or malice, it matters not. Thousands of dead will be found when they dig out the rubble. Absent CCP level media control, the people will know. Hezbollah is finished in Lebanon. There will be no deflecting blame at Israel. Any identifiable Hezbollah member will be subject to instant Islamic mob violence anywhere in Lebanon. Looking forward to videos on LiveLeak.

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Too much Tannerite?

16. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

At first I was thinking the Israeli Air Force and a stealth plane. They are too careful about collateral damage to do that much destruction.

17. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

It was a rather big blast.

Nemo

https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxn...on-sat-image-1-ISI-ImageSat-International.jpg

[​IMG]