Dougherty County

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by slabertooch, Mar 1, 2007.

1. 1-30 days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 31-60 days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 61-90

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 91-120

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 121+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Still waiting beyond 60 days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Still waiting, but not yet 60 days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

My wife has started to take an interest in shooting with me on a regular basis. This is good, considering that when I first purchased my pistol her reply was "We are keeping that thing in a safe all the time!" Now I think it's time that she got her GFL.

When I did it I had to keep badgering the Probate to issue, and she finally did after 90+ days, and many emails (thanks MP for the assistance) even though she admitted she hadn't recieved the background report yet.
    We'll see how it goes this time around, I'll keep this thread updated as the time goes on.

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Both me and the Mrs were a bit over 100 days in Lee County.

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I applied for mine the 11-30-05 in Forsyth County. The issue date is 3-28-06. Almost 4 months to the day.

4. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

OK, update on Dougherty Co.

Called Probate Ct clerk and they have changed the times that you can apply for your GFL to 8:30am to 10:45am and 1:00pm to 3:45pm.
    $15 cash for the Probate Ct. and a $24 money order made out to GCIC.

My wife and I will be applying for her GFL on Friday, and I am going to see if I can talk to the judge while my wife is jumping through hoops. Try to pin down what exactly is going on with the problems we are having with the 60 day issue.

5. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

The Mrs. and myself went and applied for her GFL on Fri. They DID take down her SSN ( I wasn't able to stop her, chasing after my son), she also asked my wife her employment information, to which she responded "Housewife!"(good girl)
    The Clerk, Sue Pearsons, was not aware of the 60 day limit, but did give me her email so I could send her the Code (wtf?). The whole process took about 45 minutes total. Tried to get a meeting with the Probate Judge while I was there, but she didn't have any time available, so I'll try later.

6. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

If memory serves, it was 124 days in Cobb.

7. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Ok, here is the copy of the email that I sent Mrs. Pearson, who is the one of the Probate Ct Clerks. She was not aware of the 60 provision in the law and asked that I email it to her.
    this is what I sent

Mrs. Pearson,

Thank you for taking the time to go over this. I have included the text from the Georgia Annotated Code copied directly from the legislatures website, and included the link to that site. It is:
    http://w3.lexis-nexis.com/hottopics/gacode/default.asp
    The Code concerning this issue is located in:
    Title 16 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES
    Chapter 11 - OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
    Article 4 - DANGEROUS INSTRUMENTALITIES AND PRACTICES
    Part 3 - CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS
    Paragraph D - Investigation of applicant; issuance of license; renewal.
    Subparagraph (4) -

And reads as follows:

(4) The law enforcement agency shall notify the judge of the probate court within 50 days, by telephone and in writing, of any findings relating to the applicant which may bear on his or her eligibility for a license or renewal license under the terms of this Code section. When no derogatory information is found on the applicant bearing on his or her eligibility to obtain a license or renewal license, a report shall not be required. The law enforcement agency shall return the application and the blank license form with the fingerprint thereon directly to the judge of the probate court within such time period. Not later than 60 days after the date of the application the judge of the probate court shall issue the applicant a license or renewal license to carry any pistol or revolver if no facts establishing ineligibility have been reported and if the judge determines the applicant has met all the qualifications, is of good moral character, and has complied with all the requirements contained in this Code section.

I have highlighted two sections of the Code that are of concern.

1. When no derogatory information is found on the applicant bearing on his or her eligibility to obtain a license or renewal license, a report shall not be required.
    This would imply that the reason it is taking 4+ months to process an application for a Georgia Firearms License, is conceivably because the reporting agency is following the Code and not providing a report. Granted this only applies to persons who have no derogatory information that would preclude them from receiving a Georgia Firearms License.

2. Not later than 60 days after the date of the application the judge of the probate court shall issue the applicant a license or renewal license to carry any pistol or revolver if no facts establishing ineligibility have been reported and if the judge determines the applicant has met all the qualifications, is of good moral character, and has complied with all the requirements contained in this Code section.
    The Georgia Code is very clear that if no facts establishing ineligibility have been reported, (see #1 above) and the applicant is determined to be of good moral character, "the Judge of the Probate Court shall issue the applicant a license or renewal license to carry any pistol or revolver." This appears to be a directive of the law, due to the language "Shall Issue".

I have also placed the entire text of the Code of 16-11-129, which I have copied directly from the website, attached to this email.

Thank you for your time, and if either yourself, or Judge Stephenson would like to discuss this matter, or have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Slabertooch

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

slabertooch, I am writing a research paper on the 60 issue and I am very interested in the response that the judge gives.

9. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Sure, I'll keep you posted.

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Thank you very much.

11. merlock

merlock New Member

7 days for Houston County. :D

12. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

98 days for myself, 15 days and counting for my wife. After applying we went to the local Gunshop to look for a carry pistol for her. She was down at the other end of the display rack and I hear her say,
    "Ooooh, that one looks pretty, can I see it?"

So naturally I am interested and go over to my wife, who has a big grin on her face, as I get there, she turns and says,
    "I want this one"

[​IMG]
    :shock:

Who would have thought, my cute little wife wanting .45 of BG stopping goodness!!!! :woohoo:

13. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Update*

Yep you guessed it, nothing.

89 days and counting for my wife's GFL.

14. Cupid

Cupid New Member

Still Lengthy?

I have a buddy, who is interested in obtaining a GFL. Actually, has applied with Dougherty for a GFL. The clerk stated 4 to 6 months! :shock: Holy Cow!! I got mine in 2 days from Lee County. Is Dougherty's process still this long?

I'm going to make the assumption that if you live in Dougherty, you cannot apply with Lee County? This doesn't make sense to me....I mean....we do live in the same state, don't we?

15. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Actually the notice for my wife's GFL came at after/around 100 days. She still hasn't picked it up yet, a year later. :roll:

I wonder if they keep it on file there, or if it gets destroyed after a certain time period.

I never did hear back from anyone at the Probate Court about it, sent several emails and no one responded, I'm guessing the time frame is about the same.