Double Tap technique?

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by gunsmoker, May 3, 2016.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

For years I've heard the term "double tap" and I thought it meant something different from what this article describes.
    It turns out that what I assumed was a "double tap" technique was really a "controlled pair."
    Two shots, fired as rapidly as possible while still getting a sight picture (even if an imperfect one) for each shot.

http://www.breachbangclear.com/double-taps-vs-controlled-pairs/

It turns out "double tap" means pulling the trigger twice after establishing the sight picture once, and the second trigger pull comes ASAP without regard to the sights, and no attempt to re-acquire a sight picture.

I have tried shooting so rapidly that I can't re-establish any semblance of a sight picture. The results are terrible, as far as group size goes. I could completely miss a man-sized target at 7 yards with some of the shots. At 3 or 5 yards, though, point-shooting without sights seems to work O.K. This includes double and triple taps, where only the first shot was fired with the benefit of sights, and subsequent rounds came as soon as I could get trigger reset and visually confirm the muzzle was down more or less in line with the target.

This guy posted a video where he explains the difference between double taps and controlled pairs, and he shoots very tight groups with both techniques. I don't know what distance he had between his target and his 1911, but his rounds hit within a couple inches of each other, right in the center of the target. I can't do that beyond about 3 yards-- spitting distance.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGAtgqAEnM0[/ame]

P.S. the guy in the video above talks about "2 sight pictures" for a double tap. He means one sight picture before you begin shooting, and one after the two shots have been fired, as you evaluate the target and see if that target needs more shooting or not. That's why he talks about how you get 3 sight pictures in the "controlled pair" process-- 1 before you shoot, 1 in between shots, and 1 more as the gun settles back on target after the "last" shot.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  2. GlockGary

GlockGary Glock Block Supporter

It takes practice, I do a quick draw, point shooting exercise as part of my range time exercises. I draw and fire three shots, without using my sights at about 5 and 10 yards. At first my groups were all over the place, now I keep them center mass and sometimes my grouping is 6 inches. I'm hoping with more and more practice my groupings will be more consistent 6 inch groups.

3. Wings06j

Wings06j Member

It all takes practice... lots and lots of practice. After 5 days of 8 hours/day at the range (excluding lunch) expending thousands of rounds from various positions and ranges (and even more dry-fire training) 20 of us who had never tried firing a pistol from the hip were consistently getting 95%+ on paper and most within a 6" group at 7 yards. Who knew you could actually hip-fire a pistol accurately??? I didn't. We did everything from single shots to weapon transitions, malfunctions, team shoot-and-move, and of course double taps. I wish i had been able to keep up with the practice on it. Appreciate the video.