DOT Weight Watchers

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by maggie, Jul 27, 2016.

1. maggie

maggie New Member

They used to be called, now they say motor vechicle enforcement or something, anyway, they were all over I20 inside the perimeter today. Saw two different ones , doors open using laser , new to me anyway. Do they have same powers as GSP?

2. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

They are always on 575 getting the trash trucks for overweight. They mainly stop commercial trucks doing dot checks, but I have see them pull over cars when they were going crazy fast.

3. maggie

maggie New Member

Same here , just never before saw one with speed laser in his hand clocking

4. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Just more to add when they do a complete roadside inspection. 5 cents a pound fine I'd not enough for weight.

5. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

I've seen them enforce HOV lane laws as well.

Az

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

https://dps.georgia.gov/motor-carrier-compliance-division-0

Another role for the Motor Carrier Compliance Division is the enforcement of High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes in the metropolitan Atlanta area. MCCD Officers patrol the highways, identifying and apprehending those who use the HOV lanes improperly.​

7. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

They are Peace Officers so the recent rulings about their authority being comprehensive, state-wide a better term, holds for them as well.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Huh? Context?

9. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Didn't we have a ruling sometime in the recent past that said that Peace Officers do not have to be in their jurisdiction to exercise arrest/detention powers? The DOT enforcement office was initially set up to enforce ONLY commercial compliance with DOT regulations, then it was expanded to cover HOV lanes. The initial post said nothing about either Commercial or HOV but instead said generic speed enforcement on I20. However, if these agents of the DOT are sworn officers then they can enforce non-commercial traffic violations just like any other Peace Officer, or did I mis-remember something?

10. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

I don't remember when they started, but I remember these guys enforcing the HOV lane way back before the Olympics. So it's not a new thing.

Az

11. MedicOxford

MedicOxford New Member

Any LE in GA can write you a ticket.

12. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

I thought only Sheriff's departments could do that.

13. Jasonnib4

Jasonnib4 New Member