Doonesbury nails it..... but didn't intend to.

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Fallschirmjäger, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

[​IMG]

I'm sure he meant to poke fun, but I thought it captured "a polite society" quite nicely.

2. Match10

Match10 Active Member

I am sure the irony is lost upon Gary....

3. Fallschirmjäger

I've read his comics since the early 70's, insightful commentary has never been his strong suit.

4. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

There's a poll halfway down the page...

Code:
    ============================================
    Results:               {A}     {B}     {C}
      Own Multiple Guns     35      28      68
      Own One Gun            9       8      50
      Own No Gun            28      55     482
      ------------------------------------------
      Total                 72      91     600

:shakehead:

5. gogriz91

gogriz91 New Member

Concur

6. Fallschirmjäger

People who admit/boast that they have no guns and thus no familiarity with the subject pontificating about what those who do have them and are familiar with them should do.

Reminds me of people who don't own horses voting whether English or Western saddles should be what one rides.

7. NullMatrix

NullMatrix Member

Yep, and people who don't work in law enforcement shouldn't be allowed to criticize those who do.

8. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

:roll:

9. Fallschirmjäger

People who don't work in law enforcement aren't allowed to tell departments what to drive, what uniform to wear, what to carry, what grooming standards must be enforced, or a whole list of other things. Maybe the rest of us are missing an important point....... or maybe not.

10. CoffeeMate

People who don't work in law enforcement aren't allowed to tell departments what to drive, what uniform to wear, what to carry, what grooming standards must be enforced, or a whole list of other things.[/quote:3vx2clzq]
    Except of course, when those people are FOOTING THE BILL for that law enforcement.

11. Fallschirmjäger

Except of course, when those people are FOOTING THE BILL for that law enforcement.[/quote:1yzir0en]

By 'footing the bill' are you referring to the Georgia Legislature, County Commissioner, City Mayor or some other entity?

I may have missed it but I don't recall seeing anywhere that the Georgia legislature set the grooming standards for the Georgia Highway Patrol, nor where a city Mayor has mandated that a department carry a certain manufacturer's firearm. Would you be kind enough to show an example?

12. Editingfx

Editingfx New Member

I didn't know anyone fondled Glocks.... thought that was reserved for 1911's & wheelguns....

13. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

14. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

People who don't work in law enforcement aren't allowed to tell departments what to drive, what uniform to wear, what to carry, what grooming standards must be enforced, or a whole list of other things. Maybe the rest of us are missing an important point....... or maybe not.[/quote:37mxgy7l]
    No, they instead elect officials to either do it for them or appoint someone to do it for them.

15. CoffeeMate

I'm talking about us, the taxpayers who fund the activity (law enforcement) with our hard-earned dollars, and who, by the way, are also the ones who have empowered those officials to act on our behalf.

Perhaps we as citizens should get more involved with those aspects of these, our public servants, who are acting in our name using our funding and wielding the power which we have delegated to them.

The point I'm trying to make here is that the "English version Western saddle" isn't a valid analogy.