Don't Shoot! I'm Unarmed!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

2. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Isn't shooting someone with a Taser, who's 10 feet off the ground, dangerous enough? It seems to me the risk of serious injury is high in taking action that is likely to cause someone to fall that distance. Nothing in the article says why tasing him was necessary (let alone turning him into the victim of a gunshot wound).

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

What provocation does one need to shoot someone with a Taser? Why, it is such fun that some officers purposely goad people into becoming enraged so they can pop them with the Taser! Some officers even Tasered a little 7 year old schoolgirl. I'm telling ya', they love those things.

4. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Given that Tasers now have been shown to cause death in some cases, my opinion is that great provocation is needed.

5. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

If he had no arms how was he holding onto the branch? :lol:

6. Taurus

Taurus New Member

Ok, that just ain't right at all...LOL...But it sure is funny as hail....

Now how in the world can someone mistake a gun for a tazer.... ? I think they oughta run a BAC test on this cop while their at it...

Besides, someones in a tree and you shoot them with anything??? I think the better option would be to have a few backups arrive with a trampoline and have someone throw the guy out of the tree.....

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Several things come to mind, but it boils down to very poor training and really bad departmental procedures.

8. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

I can understand if the officer was in the heat of the moment, of say a deadly situation, and pulled the wrong piece of equipment in order to quickly diffuse a dangerous situation. But I don't think coercing someone out of a tree would warrant the use of deadly force, or even the use of less lethal force like a taser, much less be considered in the heat of the moment. The officer clearly used bad judgement and I hardly see it as a mistake.

As far as being in the heat of the moment, I had a similiar situation when bringing back an inmate from a bond hearing. The judge had denied this inmate bond because the nature of the crime(s) committed. As the both of us were walking back to the sheriff's office(the S/O and C/H are next to each other were I worked), he decided to give himself a bond and bailed out on me. I had my hands full with his court papers and with arrest warrants I had just picked up from the solicitors office to be served to some people that we were holding. I immediately dropped all the papers I was carrying and tried to grab him but was un-successful. As I was chasing him through the parking lot heading towards the woods, I was fumbling with my radio screaming into it that my inmate had bailed and that I needed backup. To my consternation, no one answered back. It took me a second to look down and realize that I had turned off my radio because I was in a hearing. The judges get somewhat upset when they hear the chatter of radios during a hearing. I got the radio on and radioed for backup and I caught up with the inmate in some briar patches with the sheriff himself and 2 deputies with shotguns backing me up.

In the heat of the moment I had forgot that I had turned off my radio during the court hearing and it nearly got me into something that could have turned nasty. Needless to say from that day on when I came back to court, I never turned off my radio, but only turned the volume down...

Sorry for going OT, but thinking about spilt second decisions in dangerous situations brought this up in my mind.

9. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

Muscle memory or Covering his own butt?

I wouldn't be suprized if the cop made the wrong decision in shooting the guy. And when she relized he made the mistake, she like anyone else was looking for a justifiable excuse. So she trys to justify the accidental shooting with something that could seem likely. In this case a less lethal means.

But... On the other hand muscle memory is no joke. That is where most of your shooting skills come from. At least in my experiance. Your body goes into robot mode and you just act how you were trainned. There are many storys about how muscle memory either helps or hurts you in a situation. If you have bad habits they will come out. So who know's, but to be fair to the officer maybe he did just as a reaction go to his primary weapon in this case his pistol in the heat of the moment.

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Re: Muscle memory or Covering his own butt?

That is exactly why I think it was stupid to have the taser on the same hip/leg as the firearm. This was not the officer that did that, that was the department that told the officers where to put it. Though you would think it would make it quicker to learn to use the taser by doing that (since they have been trained on drawing the firearm) you are really just introducing a death waiting to happen. The person in the tree (and the officer) are just lucky.

11. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

I think she is just luck her shooting skills must not be the best. Considering she hit him in the leg. If there was a death, gezz think about the paper work on that one. I'm pretty sure even with a tazer you aim centermass.

There wasn't much of a background story. "Several Kitsap County deputies gathered under a tree in a Bremerton lot where a man – shouting and dressed only in underwear – refused to come down." - King5.com. So how did this guy even need a tazer pointed at him in the first place? One witness even heard him yell that he was unarmed. So why didn't the deputy sheriff's let this dude just chill up in the tree till he decided to come down?

But I am not one to judge a lawmen or any member of the military from miles away in the comfort of my computer screen. With that being said I have come to the conclusion that the news article simply didn't go in detail about the situation. And that the officer was justified to use the tazer and a accident occured. And I have faith in our system the right disiple actions will be taken against her.

12. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

GA just passed a law (HB 1019) requiring training and certification for LEOs to use Tasers. It also requires written standards and policies. An officer using a Taser not in conformance with such standards and policies, or who does not have a certification, can lose his LEO status.