Don't Let The Kids Go Outside

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Nemo, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Japan's mostly mono-cultural society and traditions contribute greatly to the safety there. Still, any reports of violent crime would give me the willies if my child was just out with other children.

However, I certainly like the idea of kids being able to go out alone, and would never support a law prohibiting it. It should be the parents' decision. I'm glad I got to ride my bike miles around my neighborhood for five years with other kids starting at age 12.

2. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

I've had some business interests there since the early 90s.

I lost so much money owning real estate in Japan that it's not even funny (early 90s was the tail end of the real estate bubble there, so...) It's a cool country, though! Everyone should visit it; it's a trip. Every twenty feet there's another amazing restaurant - one of my favorite food countries.

DH

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    moe mensale likes this.

3. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

We used to play football in this widow's back yard; she had the largest yard in the neighborhood. I don't think we ever asked permission.

She would makes us cookies and lemonade for halftime!

As for nature, I used to play with frogs and lizards.

4. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

When I was maybe 7-8 years old, I pretty much lived in the woods. About a mile down a creek from my house, there was an architect's house; it was a pretty cool house, and it ran off a generator ("the woods"), and had a swimming pool (well-fed? I'm remembering this almost half a century ago.)

My two best friends and I used to trek down the creek during the summer to use their pool. They were cool with it. The architect's wife was always there, and she was some kind of artist. She was probably twenty-something, always with big hoop earrings and wearing paint-covered overalls. Bare feet. She would be in yoga attire nowadays, that kind, but this was the mid-70s. We'd hang out with her in her house, having a snack after swimming. She was very into Native American art, and had a ton of books about it, and my friends and I were interested in Native American (we called it "Indian") stuff, so we'd leaf through them. She gave me one once to take home.

You can imagine the reaction nowadays to a 20-something woman having fresh-from-the pool kids in her house for snacks and convo. I seriously doubt anything she fed us was gluten-free.

It's not even "Karens" calling the cops on free-range kids, it's (American) parents themselves, frozen in terror at the thought of their children out unsupervised. I think it really started with the Atlanta Child Murders, and the "Do you know where your children are?" ad campaign at the end of the 70s/start of the 80s.

My mother had a triangle which hung on the back porch, which she'd ring when it was time to come home for lunch or dinner or whatever. You could hear it for a mile at least, because of the contour of the woods (kind of in a valley carved out by that creek, I guess). When that rang, I had maybe 10 minutes to get home to avoid a hide-tanning. That set my "free-range" radius.

DH

atlsrt44 likes this.
  5. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

A big part Japan's stability is the nature of neighborhoods. In my neighborhood in Nagoya, you might have the 4th or 5th generation of a family living in a house, so not only do neighbors know each other, but their parents knew each other, and their grandparents, and so on, pretty much back to the Meiji era, at least. Even in Tokyo, the actual neighborhoods *really* are villages: go back 300 years, and they *were*, they're just linked up by subways and have more skyscrapers now.

You also don't have the income inequality there which balkanizes neighborhoods here. On one Japanese street, you'll have a doctor, a school teacher, the owner of a local sweet shop, an auto mechanic, etc. all next door to each other. Often, people's shops are the first floor of their house, so "street" activity is lively there. It's much more social than, say, an East Cobb subdivision.

Contrast to the USA where it's pretty uncommon for an adult to actually live in the town they grew up in, much less on the same street, or in the same house. A USA residential street is populated by socioeconomic level, not by geographical origin. On my street in Atlanta, it's mostly doctors and attorneys. I definitely don't have any school teacher or auto mechanic neighbors. There's no real basis for community.

It's really that "village" structure which has vanished in the USA, in particular in cities (practically all of Metro Atlanta's growth in the past 40 years has been migration, not birth.)

DH

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    TimBob and Phil1979 like this.
  6. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

This is also a city thing. I grew up in a small town in pa and was gone more than I was actually home. I go to visit and not much has changed. Besides meth trying to creep in like every small town nowadays...

7. Oliverwilson1987

Oliverwilson1987 New Member

I grew up on the street playing different games with my friends. And now the children do not take their eyes off the screens.
    I try to keep my children away from phones and kick them out into the street.

8. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Child abuse! Karen is reporting you.