Don't Fly With RPG

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Nemo, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

2. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Ok it was a replica but damn buddy. Why would you think that would be ok?

3. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Moron should have just declared it like any other weapon.

But hey! Let's give the TSA a big hand :applause: for finding it in the first place. There must have been soiled pants around everywhere. :panic::panic::panic: :lol:

4. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Let's see, in checked baggage, not real...who cares? Sounds like some tsa moron just wanted to create a funny news headline.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

How else are you supposed to fly your replica RPG from point A to point B?

Story says, "No realistic or replica weapons of military nature are allowed to be brought onto airplanes." Is this true?

6. moe mensale

The launcher was in a checked bag. Somebody's lying.

http://tsatraveltips.us/guns-cases-and-air-travel/

7. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

If its an RPG, as in rocket propelled grenade type firearm, with a grenade. Anyone (that ain't all stupid) watching an x-ray machine is going to question it. There is probably a section in the code that says no explosive devices in carry on or checked baggage too.

Nemo

8. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

1-- even if passenger says his bazooka /RPG / Stinger missile / AK47 is actualky a replica, do you expect TSA folks to take his word on that? What proof would you want him to show? A receipt? What if it's a receipt for a fake MKII "pineapple" fragmentation hand grenade bought from an Army-Navy store, but THAT fake grenade is at home. The passenger is carrying a live M26 High Explosive grenade, a decade newer and with a smooth body. An EOD tech or late 1950's veteran would know the one on the receipt isn't the one that the dude took to the airport, but do you expect a $17/ hr. federal security guard to spot that discrepancy?

9. gunsmoker

2-- any passernger bringing replica weapons of war to the airport has access to them BEFORE the bag is checked into the airline's custody, and AFTER he lands. What if he opens the case and walks through the airport with that replica M60 machinegun and a 100-round belt of dummy carridges carried in his arms?

Do you expect the flying public to assume it's a harmless replica gun with fake ammo?

10. moe mensale

I think the guy was within his rights to bring the inert launcher as checked luggage. See post #6. But he screwed up twice. First off, he probably should have declared it like a regular firearm. Secondly, the grenade (real or inert) was a no-no. See below.

http://tsatraveltips.us/can-i-bring-it-on-an-airplane/

11. moe mensale

Yes. I expect them to follow their own rules which permit replica weapons. But the passenger had some responsibilities too. See post #10.

12. moe mensale

See posts #6 &10. Real and replica weapons are allowed. As is real and replica ammunition with the exception of real or replica "explosives." The passenger also has rules to follow.

13. moe mensale

Why am I - or you or any gun owner - supposed to care about that? Doesn't the TSA allow real weapons and ammunition on board?

14. gunsmoker

Well, an RPG doesn't look anywhere near as menacing without the warhead of the rocket protruding from the end of the launch tube.

So how about a bazooka, where are you can't tell if it's loaded or not because the entire rocket (warhead , body, and stabilizing fins) are all contained inside the tube so that it looks the same to casual observers, loaded or not?

I agree that TSA folks can be expected to distinguish between a hollow tube that's empty ( you can look right through it end to end ) and one that has a real or dummy rocket in it.

But, again, what if the traveler takes it out at an airport and the public sees it? Don't you think a person with a bazooka or Stinger missile propped on their shoulder in the parking lot of an international airport will cause more of a panic then somebody who is carrying regular small arms, even an AR-15 ? I do.

15. gunsmoker

24C0EAA4-243A-4514-9FE9-47236CFFA136.jpeg

The only pic I can find of a civilian with a fully-enclosed rocket launcher.
    But... we can see that these tubes (at least 3 out of 4 for sure) are empty.

16. moe mensale

Well, of course it's a tad out of the ordinary! But since TSA rules allow various unordinary weapons to be transported, I guess the passenger should take the responsibility of seeing what he needs to do. I put the burden on the passenger. Beats going up to the counter and exclaiming "Look what I gots!" :lol: