Don't Expect SCOTUS to rule on guns next term

Discussion in 'In the News' started by bdee, Jun 8, 2016.

1. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Interesting article
    http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...upreme-court-wont-restrict-gun-rights/485810/

2. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Typical gun-control propaganda. Their conclusion may be correct, of nothing else because of the stopped clock theorum, but their facts are totally in error. Much of the nation has legacy racist victim disarmament laws. Reciprocity is still a patchwork. They completely mischaracterize the 2A rights movement's victories in rolling back oppression.
    Did Katie Couric ghostwrite this dreck or is did Bloomberg's find another paid shill for his election summer anti-gun offensive?

3. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Of course they want to maintain it. They figured out its easier to leave it on the books and ignore all the violations of it than go through a mud fight of trying to overturn it.

I wish they'd never written that execrable "sensitive places" statement all the anti-s drive a gun-ban truck through now.

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Pretty much what I thought as well.

It is because of Obama, not despite him.

5. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

I found this hilarious.
    Maybe when they rewrite it to enshrine gun rights, they can take such a simple and straightforward statement and add, "shall really really really not be infringed", because "shall not be infringed" obviously isn't clear enough.

6. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

"The NRA would push for a constitutional amendment to enshrine gun rights and would likely include language, like it has in a series of recent amendments to state constitutions, making it much harder to restrict guns."

What if they had said this? - "The NRA would push for a constitutional amendment to enshrine personal self-defense rights and would likely include language, like it has in a series of recent amendments to state constitutions, making it much easier to use a handheld tool to protect your life."

7. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Doesn't the 2nd Amendment already do all of that?

8. Taurus92

That's my point. If they (whatever administration, Supreme Court or local government) don't respect the utmost supreme law of the land that every official swears to uphold, another amendment is just as worthless. The only thing that could come out of Constitutional Convention is a weaker statement. Enforce the Constitution, don't pretend to rewrite it so it's worthy of enforcing.

9. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Maybe some teeth need to be put into the Second Amendment?

"Any government official or representative who violates a citizen's Second Amendment Rights shall be fined a minimum of $1000 per occurrence, to be from personal funds."

10. Taurus92

Anyone violating their oath of office shouldn't be in office.

11. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

How about making the violation of someone's civil liberties by a public official at least a class B felony? It should have a real chilling effect on the way police and other government officials treat local civilians.

You search someone's car without permission or a warrant, and you spend 25 years in federal prison. Think of how many cops would risk that in the future. Detain or arrest someone for openly carrying a firearm without any indication that they were committing a crime, go to federal prison for 25 years. It just might have an impact on the way policing is done in this country.

12. MouserGun

MouserGun New Member

If anything will make me actually vote for Trump, that court just did it

13. MouserGun

MouserGun New Member

Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in awhile.

14. Siege

Siege Active Member

I prefer the phrase "Even a blind clock finds a broken squirrel once a day."

15. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Sorta like "This isn't rocket surgery"?

16. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

If when the 2nd Amendment actually gets put into use in the - unfortunately - not to distant future, don't you think there will be enough "teeth" to get the pols' attention?

17. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

I agree with this 100%.

18. Taurus92

The 2nd Amendment is always in use. At the time of taking up arms because the SHTF, there aren't going to be any courts taking up 2A cases. The purpose of the 2A is to be prepared, in advance, for that, so declaring the public shouldn't have "militia" type arms is asinine and flies in the face of the 2A. It's not about hunting, sheltering in place in your "home" or even self-defense on the streets. All of those are side benefits of the 2A.