Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What term do leftists and the media use to refer to you?

Brain dead hick? *******? Clinger? Tea bagger? A hateful bigot?

That's all fine and good; those of you who work hard, pay your taxes, take care of your families, abide by the law and happen to disagree with leftists can be stigmatized and marginalized until the cows come home.

But we should stop referring to felons and convicts as felons and convicts.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/05/doj-to-nix-felon-convict-terms-deemed-stigmatizing.html?intcmp=hpbt3

Instead, Assistant Attorney General Karol Mason said the “disparaging labels†will be replaced by “person who committed a crime†or “individual who was incarcerated.†The new lexicon is set to be utilized in “speeches, solicitations, website content and social media posts†emanating from the Office of Justice Programs.

“I have come to believe that we have a responsibility to reduce not only the physical but also the psychological barriers to reintegration,†Mason wrote. “The labels we affix to those who have served time can drain their sense of self-worth and perpetuate a cycle of crime, the very thing re-entry programs are designed to prevent.â€
J. Christian Adams, an attorney and ex-DOJ official, said the move is the latest attempt by the Obama administration “to destigmatize the most abhorrent behavior.†Referring to ex-cons as “felons†is a good thing, Adams told FoxNews.com.

“It helps people make important decisions about hiring, about renting, about associating with people who have shown a proclivity to break the law,†he said. “Shame is not a bad thing. It’s helped civilization rise. And people who cannot be trusted, who have committed violent crimes in the past, there’s nothing wrong with calling them exactly what they ar â€" and that is felons.â€

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,695 Posts
These folks should be referred to as "freedom challenged."

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
When someone says "convict" you picture someone convicted of rape, murder, assault, etc. The fact is, in 2012, less than 50% of felony incarcerations were for violent crimes (and if you've ever looked it up you should know that there is about a 0.001% chance that any given person could NOT be convicted of some type of felony crime in the US and join that convict club).

This guy kinda is making the DoJ's point for them when he effectively says all felons have committed violent crimes, after insinuating that the action which resulted in their conviction/incarceration is who they are and should prevent people from hiring them, renting to them, etc and that they cannot be trusted.

J. Christian Adam said:
"It helps people make important decisions about hiring, about renting, about associating with people who have shown a proclivity to break the law," he said. "Shame is not a bad thing. It's helped civilization rise. And people who cannot be trusted, who have committed violent crimes in the past, there's nothing wrong with calling them exactly what they are - and that is felons."

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,413 Posts

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
When someone says "convict" you picture someone convicted of rape, murder, assault, etc. The fact is, in 2012, less than 50% of felony incarcerations were for violent crimes (and if you've ever looked it up you should know that there is about a 0.001% chance that any given person could NOT be convicted of some type of felony crime in the US and join that convict club).

This guy kinda is making the DoJ's point for them when he effectively says all felons have committed violent crimes, after insinuating that the action which resulted in their conviction/incarceration is who they are and should prevent people from hiring them, renting to them, etc and that they cannot be trusted.
So we should lock up fewer people, only the people that truly need it so that we may continue to call them felons and convicts...

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
If Assistant Attorney General Karol Mason truly wanted to be kind to them, she'd advocate for restoring 2nd Amendment Rights to non-violent felons as soon as they are released from prison.

This is just fluff over substance. Typical pablum from leftists.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,144 Posts
How about calling them law abidingly challenged.

Nemo

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
So we should lock up fewer people, only the people that truly need it so that we may continue to call them felons and convicts...
Not sure where you got that from my post....

If you want my opinion on the justice system punishments and follow on though, ask and I can give a few paragraphs on the subject.

·
يفخر الكافر
3,938 Posts
And inmates are just "individuals on a vacation in a prison cell." Give me a break...

If they don't want to be called convicts then maybe they should try a little harder not to be convicted of a crime.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Criminally inclined?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I know of a ex-con that was recently paroled. I believe he contacted Georgia Work Force for guidance on obtaining employment.
When he met with his guidance counselor or what ever they are called she recommended that he put on his applications that his last employer was the State of Georgia.......... being he was a trustee and performed work for the state.:rotfl2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts