Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boxing promoter and convicted killer (served time in prison 40 years ago, for manslaughter) DON KING had some .38 and .357 ammo in his carry-on bag when he tried to board a commercial aircraft the other day.

TSA just confiscated the ammo and let him go on his way.

I wonder if us "little people" would get the same result?

And I wonder if TSA ran a background check on him once they found him to be in violation of their security protocol? If they DID check his background, wouldn't they find that as a convicted felon he is barred from possessing firearms or even ammunition under federal criminal laws?

(Unless he has quietly gotten a pardon or something... which I never heard about. As far as I can tell on a quick Google seach, he's still a convicted felon).
LINK to AMMO-IN-BAG article : http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/12/13/ohio.don.king.airport/

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,468 Posts
This made the noon edition of Sportscenter. It was reported in a rather matter-of-fact fashion.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
I am amazed at this.... I'd be in lockup.

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,468 Posts
Match10 said:
I am amazed at this.... I'd be in lockup.
Me too. Can't afford to post bond! :(

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
I was reading on another forum where a guy in the Army went through (Traveling on orders) and had 2 loaded M4 mags in his carry on (using his assault pack, it actually happens often). They confiscated the mags and ammo, and a few weeks later got a citation in the mail with a fine.

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,468 Posts
gruntpain1775 said:
I was reading on another forum where a guy in the Army went through (Traveling on orders) and had 2 loaded M4 mags in his carry on (using his assault pack, it actually happens often). They confiscated the mags and ammo, and a few weeks later got a citation in the mail with a fine.
I guess he had to pay for the loss of Gov't Property, too?

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
TimBob said:
gruntpain1775 said:
I guess he had to pay for the loss of Gov't Property, too?
Is it a loss of .Gov property when the .gov takes it own property from it's own employee??

The mags are expendable items. They are actually "Designed" to be used once then tossed. Everyone keeps them and reuses them though.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I managed to forget an ASP baton in a bag that was getting carried on. They just took it. People forget things, so, I'm a bit torn on Don King Getting jacked up for the ammo at the check point.

Now, what he's doing with ammo in the first place as a prohibited person is another question. Does anyone know if he had his rights re-instated following his prison sentence?

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_King_(boxing_promoter)

The picture is interesting.

Also:

Don King was born in Cleveland, Ohio. After dropping out of Kent State University, he ran an illegal bookmaking operation, and was charged for killing two men in separate incidents 13 years apart. The first was determined to be justifiable homicide after it was found that King shot Hillary Brown in the back and killed him while he was attempting to rob one of King's gambling houses.[1] King was convicted of second degree murder for the second killing in 1966 after he was found guilty of stomping to death an employee, Sam Garrett, who owed him $600.[1] In an ex parte meeting with King's attorney, the judge reduced King's conviction to nonnegligent manslaughter for which King served just under four years in prison.[2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts