Dogs and Tick Control

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Malum Prohibitum, May 19, 2012.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The ticks are terrible this year!

What do you do to control ticks in your yard? What do you do to control ticks on your dog?

Have you tried some things that work?

Have you tried some things that do not work?

2. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

Frontline for the dog. Permethrin for my socks, gaiters, pants, etc.

Daily tick checks are always a good idea, but with these methods I've only found a few dead ticks in my socks. Never any on me or the dog.

Az

3. German Longshot

German Longshot New Member

My grandparents use a pill called Trifexis. It seems to do pretty well for their 3 dachshunds. What might also help is getting some lime powder from lows and sprinkling your yard.. It seems to help with ants, and other creepy crawlies. Trifexis is also offering a $10.00 rebate on a 6-month supply, and $20.00 rebate on 12-month supplies..

4. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, Guinea fowl eat ticks like crazy. Let a few of those roam loose in your yard and you won't have much of a tick problem. And you can eat them when winter comes!

Az

5. Malum Prohibitum

That is a parasite control, which is not advertised for ticks. Does it work for them?

6. Malum Prohibitum

Anybody try Bayer's Advantix II?

7. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

Advantix is very similar to Frontline.

BTW, they both contain permethrin.

Az

8. samman23

samman23 New Member

I have and it works well. I can't tell that it works better then frontline but it works. be sure you put it in the center of the spine where it is harder to lick. And it is a little oily so keep the dog outside till it absorbs down a little otherwise the dog will try to rub it onto the furniture. And be sure you separate the fur so you can get it onto the skin as much as possible.

but keeping the lawn mowed keeps a lot of the ticks away too.

9. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

+1

10. Match10

Match10 Active Member

That is a parasite control, which is not advertised for ticks. Does it work for them?[/quote:1rxtmad0]

Spinosad, one of the two ingredients in Trifexis, is upwards 94% effective on dog ticks according to published reports. Tick controls is important to us... The medication is not labeled for them though because it did not have a slightly higher rate. (Remember, fleas are not 100% with anything either.) We switched to it Wednesday, and will let you know. The other parasite efficacy is worth the medication cost.

11. RebelCowboySnB

RebelCowboySnB Opinion Taken Elsewhere.

Chickens eat ticks too, taste way better an make less noise.

I use frontline plus an it still works great on ticks. Not working very well on fleas though. I think its killing them but the yard is full of them

12. GlockGary

GlockGary Glock Block Supporter

Diatomaceous Earth, this is all natural and a wonderful product. Do some research and you'll see it's amazing. Just make sure you wear a respirator while applying so you don't inhale the dust. Good luck.

13. rcsob657

rcsob657 Active Member

Why on earth do you want to control dogs? Ticks and fleas sure, but dogs? :D

For ticks and fleas, general prevention we use the standard Frontline. We've also generally defoliated most of the trees in the back yard.

14. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

K9 Advantix is the best.

Don't use any Hartz products. Their products are harmful.

15. RebelCowboySnB

RebelCowboySnB Opinion Taken Elsewhere.

16. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Damn! Sorry that happened to your little buddy Rebel. Hartz is evil.

17. DogLeg

DogLeg New Member

One noticeable thing that helps control fleas and ticks in my yard is collecting/bagging the grass clippings instead of it fly all over the yard.

18. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

Advantix has been useful, but not 100% effective. I would still use it though. If infestation is heavy (more than a couple removed a day), also use an Amytraz (ingredient) collar, such as Preventic or Zema Tick Detach. Same collar, big difference in price (try ebay for new old stock). Either good for 3-4 months.

Nonetheless, check dog daily, and remove ticks correctly. Keeping pet trimmed short often helps spotting pests.

Keep grass cut well back. Cut tree limbs touching the ground. Try to keep dog from moist, humid areas of yard. Treat the perimeter of the house with an appropriate product. A large, well known, commercial pest control company would use Talstar P.

Keep the interior of the house vacuumed, as well as furniture. Avoid any dampness. Treat the interior of the house with an approprate product. A large, well known, commercial pest control company would use Precor 2000 Plus Premise Spray - 16 oz. can (with IGR).

For DIY, I have found these folks very helpful. They are located in Norcross, and will answer your question 9a-5p, M-F. I had someone on the phone for about 20 minutes. They also have extensive Q&A sections. They sell what my pest control company comes to my house and applies. Shipping is free, and perhaps are not yet collecting sales tax.

domyownpestcontrol.com/ticks-c-227.html

WARNING 1: be prepared for some (sad) pics of two dogs heavily infested with ticks.

WARNING 2: be sure to monitor the pet for toxicity for any insecticide products used, since one is applying (hopefully) enough poison to kill the pest, but not the pet.

For clothes, permethrin is very effective, but not on skin - I think the sweat breaks it down. Spay it on, let it dry over night. It last awhile. I'd like others chime in on how long. Lots of good sprays out there

HTH

19. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I've noticed this as well, the ticks are horrible this year! I find them all over me, I find them on my dog and my child. Its getting bad.

20. pml

pml Active Member

We use Frontline. I've only seen one tick this year and it wasn't on the dog.