Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
68,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 x 6 foot run for a dog. All vegetation is of course dead, leaving mud. I understand that smooth concrete is the best, but it is out of my price range. Is there any downside to building what is essentially a wooden deck, like a deck for a house, for the dog? He sure likes lounging around on the deck, so it seems that he likes it. I was thinking a floor of the same type might be something nice for him when he is in the run.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Wood is okay if he isn't using the bathroom on it. You could possibly leave a small section of bare earth for him to use for that. If he used one end over the other, leave that end open. If he is a chewer, don't use treated lumber as it has cyanide in it. If it's not shaded very well, raise the deck enough for him to get underneath to stay cool. You could also build a second layer to create shade and a den-like environment depending on how high your run is. You don't want him jumping the prison walls. Drainage and clean-ability is the key. A solid floor I don't think is wise.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,014 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
I have a 12 x 6 foot run for a dog. All vegetation is of course dead, leaving mud. I understand that smooth concrete is the best, but it is out of my price range. Is there any downside to building what is essentially a wooden deck, like a deck for a house, for the dog? He sure likes lounging around on the deck, so it seems that he like it. I was thinking a floor of the same type might be something nice for him when he is in the run.
Not if you build it right. Wooden floors in dog runs offer almost the same protection for your dogs as the concrete. There are additional problems when building them though. Make sure the lumber doesn't have any splits that may splinter and stick in their paws. Use a landscape weedblock fabric on the ground to keep weeds and grass from growing up through it. You will also want to use a tighter spacing than you would on a normal deck to keep toe nails from getting stuck in the gaps. Predrill and counter sink the screws. Do not use nails to fasten the deck boards. Lightly sand it smooth. Use a good sealer on the wood to prevent fecal build up in the wood. Bleech and reseal at least once a year (twice is prefered). Make sure to hose it out weekly or if the dog soils it.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Have you thought about using pavers? They make some that are maybe 18x18x2. Might be an option for you.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,014 Posts
Ga_Regul8r said:
Wood is okay if he isn't using the bathroom on it. You could possibly leave a small section of bare earth for him to use for that. If he used one end over the other, leave that end open. If he is a chewer, don't use treated lumber as it has cyanide in it. If it's not shaded very well, raise the deck enough for him to get underneath to stay cool. You could also build a second layer to create shade and a den-like environment depending on how high your run is. You don't want him jumping the prison walls. Drainage and clean-ability is the key. A solid floor I don't think is wise.
Presure treated lumber no longer contains arsenic or cyanide. It all has to be enviromentally firendly. The amount that was the the older stuff was so minimal you would have had to eat a couple of train loads in one sitting to even feel the effects. The issue came up when they started using it for playground equipment instead of metal. Some soccer mom read the lable and went :panic:

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Wood is an injury risk when wet, both for you and the dog. I wouldn't use it. Pavers work well, and I've use them before, but left an area about four feet wide at the end that I filled with gravel. The dogs preferred dumping on the gravel, and it still wasn't to difficult to scoop out, or hose out. Use the wood to build shade and shelter.

·
68,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:-k Never really thought about pavers . . . but that could get expensive. Maybe I will check into it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I used the composite decking for the dog runs on the ranch at home. It was a little more expensive than lumber, but last time I went home it was still in good shape. It was a little more than eight years old and had an average of 8-10 hounds in it.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
:-k Never really thought about pavers . . . but that could get expensive. Maybe I will check into it.
Southern Lawn Design(Senoia) has them on sale, as mixed and partial pallets. If memory serves, it's a buck per square foot.

·
Registered
754 Posts
MP I have 4 bird dogs a on raised kennel wood floor spaced about 1.5" they are about 1' off the ground on the front and 3' on the back basically a 10x30 deck with my kennels on top. I don't need to clean under them since I have them up on the edge of the woods and I'm rural its on a slope and the rain takes care of the what I wash off. I too will one day have me a nice kennel with smooth concrete going to septic but we just built a house and don't have the money to build a shop and nicer kennel yet, but one day!

I will just scrape and hose them off and then once a month or so spray with bleach and give a good washing, never had problems and know people who have kept dogs like this for a long time, you can throw lime up under the kennels to help with the smell if its where it can't drain or you can't clean it out; or put tin or some other thin metal attached to some rope where you can pull it out and clean that off if you like. I use 55 gallon plastic drums for dog houses. I got the idea from a guy (actually a Retired veterinary) who has half his kennels the same way.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
I remember when we were pricing pavers v laying concrete, the pavers were almost the exact same price per sq. ft.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts