Dog Breed Identification

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by kineticmind, Aug 14, 2016.

1. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

I know we have a lot of dog lovers here, so I thought I'd see if anyone can help identify this breed?

She showed up in my yard about a week ago with two puppies. I've adopted one of the pups and the neighbor took the other. Momma is skittish and won't let us near her so this is the best pic I could get. Not sure if she's a known breed or a mutt.

Attached Files:

2. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

Looks like some kind of English Pointer mix to me.

3. dam294

dam294 Active Member

I was thinking some sort of pointer mix also.

4. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

With some beagle mixed in?

Nemo

5. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Definitely some pointer mixed in there. I used to hunt and work with those breeds.

6. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

Thanks, guys.

This is my family's first foray into dog keeping, so I'm just trying to get as much info on the breed/mix as possible. The pups have been washed, dewormed, and given their first round of vaccinations. My kids are already in love with ours. We named her Sadie. She's the one with her tongue hanging out.

[​IMG]

7. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Attached Files:

8. FrontSight

FrontSight Well-Known Member

The pup that is sitting has a coat characteristic of a German Shorthair Pointer.

9. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

Thanks, CM. I didn't even realize my first picture came out all wonky.

You're the second person to mention that. Judging by the pictures I've looked at, I agree they share similarities. I guess I might get a better idea as she grows what she's mixed with.

She's a sweet little girl. I'm already starting to understand why dog people are dog people! She's already more affectionate than any other type of pet I've ever kept.

10. EJR914

That would explain the long legs of the momma. GSPs have the longest legs of any pointer I've had dealings with.

11. EJR914

Dogs are the best pet, and I've had some great cats too, I've also had some bad cats, but never a bad dog. They can be very loving and affectionate if treated right.

What's funny, is that one or a few bad experiences for a dog especially as a puppy and it can effect that dog for the rest of its life.

12. FrontSight

FrontSight Well-Known Member

I'd find some pigeon wings tie them to a bream buster with aprox. 8 ft of line. Drag them over the grass in the back yard and leave them in the grass. Put those pups on a lead and see which one picks up the scent. They might even point the wings.

GSP's are well mannered dogs, and are sensitive, just a stern scold will get their attention, no need for physical discipline.

13. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

Thanks, bud. We'll try that this weekend! She's only 7-8 weeks old we've been told, so I'm not sure how soon we could expect her instincts to kick in.

There won't be any physical punishment of this little girl. We know she'll make mistakes as she get older and we're prepared to deal with that. My oldest son is already volunteering to take her out for short walks and bathroom runs. Hopefully he'll keep that enthusiasm in the winter when it's bone chilling cold and the pup needs to be walked!

We're working on crate training now since she'll spend a lot of time in the house and will continually work on training as she gets older. It'll be a humbling experience for my family I'm sure, but well-worth it in the end. I'm excited for her to grow some more where I can start taking her out on hikes and bike rides with me.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  14. EJR914

Pointers and Setters will both start showing attraction to wings on a fishing pool at about 4 weeks of age, definitely 6 weeks of age.

I usually train setters and I use quail or pheasant wings.

This is totally meant to just be fun training. You can even"whoa" them and start to teach them to stop their prowl and to start to point.

Don't ever let them catch the wing, only start doing this for 5 mins at the time. When they get older 15 mins a day is fine. Do it every day it is a lot of fun. Nothing more cute than a litter of puppies pointing a wing. They are adorable.

15. wee

wee Active Member

One suggestion I can give is when the puppy is eating have the kids mess with them and the food from time to time....You and the wife need to do the same....Most kids get bit over food. I could take a T-Bone away from any dog I raised from a pup.

The best way I have found to discipline pups is to establish that they are NOT the leader of the pack....I will roll them over and hold them down by the chest much the same way a wolf will in a pack. This process can be done gently.

A beginner obedience will do wonders as well.

All the above being said I have ZERO experience at training any dogs that do not belong to me.

Brian

16. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

Thanks for the suggestions, Brian.

I tried messing with her bowl while she was eating and it didn't bother her at all. Same with one of the chewy bone things that she really seems to love. She doesn't appear to have an aggressive bone in her body... at least not at this point.

17. mog

mog Active Member

You'd be amazed.