Featured Dog Attack Weapon Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by GM404, Nov 19, 2017.

1. jreXD9

jreXD9 Active Member

that's what I was going to suggest. I've got one. whack whack whack and if it turns on me then it'll get a 9mm or .45.

2. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

I smell a spammer. One or two word replies sometimes in old threads. So obvious.

3. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

I've noticed that in several old threads also.

4. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

Actually, this is a "Featured Thread", much like headline news. It's the first thing you see when you come to this site. Other than that, one or two word posts from newbs? Yeah.

5. awanatech

This same new poster has commented the same "interesting story" or something very similar in many years old threads in recent days. There's never any comments other than 1 or 2 word posts.

6. Taurus92

I was agreeing with you. However, if I wanted to argue the point, I would recommend going to the user's profile page and clicking on their "Recent Activity" which would show only 4 posts total at the moment. Three meet the 1-2 word old post criteria and one that is actually a short paragraph of information. But then again, I'm not arguing. lol

7. awanatech

Lol. I realized after I posted that I probably misread/ misunderstood your post. I didn't check hussamabad's (?) post count to see that it was only the 3 short posts. I was thinking that I had seen more recently, but I guess that's all he had posted.

8. Taurus92

I've thought about putting a sarcastic disclaimer in my signature about my being sarcastic. It happens that much. Now, when I remember (CRS and all), I try to add [/sarc] to the questionable stuff.:)

9. awanatech

Lol, understood.

10. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

hussamabd shows up on numerous Forums with the same one or two word comments. Of course there are countless hussamabd names out there.

AtlPhilip likes this.
  11. Taurus92

Forums? You mean there are more of these places? lol

12. awanatech

13. moobot

moobot New Member

I've had a couple dog attacks before, mostly by the same 2 german shepherds. Their owner wanted "guard dogs" but his method of training them was just to torment them until they attacked anything that moved.

The first time I was alone, walking down the beach at night and these 2 must have gotten of their chains and came out of nowhere with barely a sound. 1 leapt and I had just enough time to brace myself and put up my hands to protect my face so he didn't knock me over. he kind of froze, snarling in my face trying to decide what to do since I hadn't fallen. So he snapped and bit my shoulder. I grabbed the forearm I could reach and just twisted and squeezed until he started screaming and I twisted and squeezed some more until he wriggled free and ran home. The other just stood by watching and never engaged. I still have a scar on my shoulder where I got bitten though.

The second time it was the same 2 german shepherds, but I had started taking a knife- a fixed blade, 2 sided dagger type thing with a concealed holster that hung from my shoulder, down my back so that I could undo the clasp with a pinky and bring it to the ready fast. Same situation, at night, walking down the beach and these dogs came out of the shadows and closed the distance fast. This time though as I brought the knife up I sliced right through his nose. That stopped the attack then and there and he took off back home.

The third time was during the day, I was walking my little Bichon and the things went right for him. This time the second german shepherd got involved, defending the dog that had grabbed my bichon. This was hard. They were killing the little guy, shaking him like a rag doll and doing a good job of keeping him between me and themselves. And I didn't have my knife. I did finally manage to get the attacking one against a wall and just kicked and kicked. It took about 4 good kicks and what sounded like a rib crack before they let go.

A few months after that someone threw poison meat into their yard and killed both the dogs. Of course the owner blamed me and I was kind of concerned about legal ramifications since the dogs were clearly killed illegally in a non-self-defense situation. He never pursued it though but I resolved that if a dog was going to attack it's better to kill them during the attack rather than let someone else kill them illegally and leave me as the most likely suspect.

The 4th time was a different dog and it was my little dog's fault for growling and barking at this big Rottweiler mix looking thing. It grabbed her by the ear and was shaking her real hard. Again kick kick kick, that's all I could do to get the dog off my dog. I was totally unprepared though, no knife.

From those experiences, I think I would go with a sharp stick. With spray, I don't think it would work at all and you risk spraying your own dog and/or yourself. With a stun baton it would have to be a hell of a charge get it to faze them, plus you have to get through hair, and then I would worry about it passing through my dog as well. And with a non-lethal in the end they're still going to be out there attacking more animals and people. They may attack you or attack your kid or someone else, and in the end they're going to get put down or killed by someone else. It's better to end it legally, in self defense and be done.

With a knife you have to get close and put yourself in the danger area. I got lucky with that knife, slicing the nose open. That's a real sensitive area. If it's attacking my dog that's not an option and I'm not sure that stabbing them would even break them out of it unless you get somewhere sensitive. With a gun, I think it would be just about impossible to reliably hit a attacking another dog given how much they flail and shake around. So, with that: I'd go with a sharp stick or maybe one of those things they use to spear bits of trash. It's inconspicuous, it gives you some range but you can also control it, reach over your dog getting attacked and put it right against the attacker's face, or put it against their ribs, right in the sensitive area near the dog's armpit then give it a good jab. The attacker may die but you don't have to look like Rambo in front of the neighborhood kids. Plus it's a pretty inconspicuous weapon and that doubles as a useful tool: you can use it to spear a bit of trash and clean up the area when you walk, so 99% of the time that you're walking and not being attacked it still serves a purpose.

14. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

QUOTE:

"With spray, I don't think it would work at all and you risk spraying your own dog and/or yourself. "

MY COMMENT: Did you know they've invented a "gel" that comes out in a solid, non-dispersing line from the dispenser to the target? I've seen this for sale at guns stores and online where self-defense products are sold.

It might let you be more selective about where that pepper irritant chemical goes.

OTHER COMMENT: Even if it incapacitates both dogs, isn't that still good? That gives you time to break them up and take yours to safety. Unless you think that once your dog is irritated by the spray/gel, your own dog is likely to snap at you and NOT let you touch her /him?

15. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Sounds like the knife worked good. After that one time, I think I'd always be carrying one.

And savage dogs aren't the only reason to carry a pistol.

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I've used pepper spray on dogs. It worked when I did it.

So does growling at them, facing them, and stomping your foot. If you can hit them in the rear with a rock, hard, as they turn to run, they will yelp and jump in the air and run faster and usually will not come back out in the street after you the next day. They'll just bark from the front porch.

At night, a flashlight in the eyes works very well.

Do not let the dog get behind you. If multiple dogs, they will try to separate and get one behind you. Keep them in front of you, and it is usually not necessary to shoot.

17. M@ck28

[email protected] New Member

I was at a dog park in Florida 2 years ago and 2 lab mixes got into a fight and they both had a mouth full of each other. One person sprayedsepper spray but all it did was get in everyone's face that was trying to break the dogs up. There were also people shoving fingers in there butts, making loud noises and it wasn't helping in anyway at all. What we had to do was use the leash and rap it around there necks to chock them out. When they went to try and take a breath we were able to pull them off with the leash.

Sorry for the long story. But I hope it helps in some way or another.

I'm also new to the forum and new to GA so hello everyone . :)

Bkite likes this.
  18. Urban Outdoorsman

Urban Outdoorsman Previously mark warlick

When a pair of pit bulls set upon my Springer spaniel in my own garage, I grabbed up a walking stick that I kept by the door.
    They didn't like having me beat on them with that stick.
    It was of the type known as a "cattlemans cane".
    Hickory, about 1" in diameter.
    I used it to jab downward with the tip like a spear, and also downward like an axe strike.
    Not anything I planned in advance, but it worked really well.
    It also helped that my dog was on her own turf, large enough and strong enough to put up a good fight, and did zero backing down.
    They left with thier tails tucked and in a hurry.
    The whole episode took maybe 10 seconds.