Featured Dog Attack Weapon Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by GM404, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

I wouldn't want to stab an animal or human for that matter either. I carry a small knife in case of a gun grab attempt, but hope to never use it. <--- just as I hope to never have to shoot anyone. But yeah, the thought of stabbing living flesh gives me the willies too.

My prior post about the bangstick was humor only, but a good collapsible baton might do the trick if you didn't have a clear shot with your pistol.

2. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

3. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

Stun guns and cattle prods are best used in the irresponsible owners of these dogs. Dogs are just being dogs, guarding their property against what they perceive might be a threat. It's the owners who don't take measures to prevent that who are asshats.

4. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

So, stun the owners?

5. Glockenator

Wishfully thinking, yes. But not if I am on their own property. If I am on the street or in some public place.

6. Taurus92

Can't say I would recommend it in either case.

7. Glockenator

That's why I said wishful thinking.

8. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

But certainly earned and deserved in described situation.

Nemo

9. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Asp? (collapsible baton)

Whack the dog upside the head hard enough, it’ll stop.

10. Glockenator

Yes. If I am on someone's property - not quite so much. If I am on a public street or in a dog park, then definitely. It is much more the owner's fault than the dog. Dogs cannot reason or think anything through, period. They have binary minds.

On a hike once, I found myself accidentally on someone's property, with no feasible way to get out of the situation without just continuing across the property to a road (or backtracking and adding 5 more miles to my hike). Then I started getting worried about their dog attacking me. And how terrible I would feel if I had to kill it to protect my life. And with that, concern about legal problems I could have. Plus, it could turn into a confrontation between the owner and me, and either a fist fight or maybe even guns involved. Thankfully, nothing happened. But I would have tried my very best not to injure or kill a dog that rightfully came after me on its own property.

11. Taurus92

I think if you step into a dog park it's like stepping into a boxing ring. You better expect what's coming. Different rules than a public street with leash laws.

I'm sure somebody else will be along soon to discuss what might happen to someone on their property killing their dog.

12. Nemo

Here I am Taurus. Simply put, I would kill them. They killed my dog and were trying to kill me.

Nemo

13. Taurus92

Yeah, the past responses on harming people's dogs were usually quick and without compromise. I'm saving up for autonomous attack drones.

14. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Nemo, you'd kill the guy that kills your dog on your property (not in a fenced-in area near your house, but your land in between a large tract of woods (or park land) and the nearest public road that you live off of?

Would you do this when you know your dog attacked this person and was actually biting him?

When you say the person "attacked you" is that something you are assuming would happen next? Sounds like wild and unreasonable speculation to me.

Or would you just LIE and tell the cops whatever BS story you think will get you in the least trouble, and "after he killed my dog, he attacked me..." sounds better than "I was angry at him for shooting my dog, so I shot him in revenge."

???

15. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

To answer the question, I think a cattle prod made for livestock would be the best tool where you have a legal green light to kill the attacking dog, but for safety or other reasons you don't want to discharge a firearm in public right then and there.

That being said, I don't think I'd carry a cattle prod or stun gun device just for this scenario. Too bulky, too heavy.

I'd have my my gun, maybe with a small knife, too. No other weapons.

WAIT !! A sturdy walking stick. One that's made of hardwood, a full 1" to 1.5" thick, and tough. That may or may not be enough to beat one dog off or pry them apart, BUT, after you try to use the stick and it fails, THEN you can use the gun with much less risk of being accused of animal cruelty or using excessive force. You can say you tried the non-lethal / less-lethal method first, then used deadly force second.

(Although as used against humans, the kind of stick I just described is almost always going to be considered a deadly weapon. But as to dogs, probably not. People expect dogs to survive a beating with a stick and not be killed or maimed.)

16. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Modern cattle prods come in designs that are neither bulky or heavy. They are not much different than a good ash hiking stick. DuckDuckGo it and you will see many or drive down to the country and you can have hands on.

17. Nemo

My dog would not do that. It would be better trained and controlled so as to not permit that.

I know it would happen based on my assessment and personal observation of the circumstances at that moment.

I would give them the facts as occurred and I observed at that time.

Nemo

18. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Well-Known Member

I'll +1 the recommendation for a contact stun weapon if you don't feel up to shooting the dog in such a situation.

If it becomes necessary to shoot and a dog is tangled with your own then drop the leash, grab a fist-full of whatever you can grab of the other dog and deliver a press-contact shot.

I'll also add that I've seen simple brute force not work on a dog. Several years back a neighbor's pit bull got ahold of an uncle's Border Collie. Fists, steel-toe boots to the ribs, and a several strikes to the head with an aluminum bat did nothing to that pit who was clamped on at that point. Can't remember what finally got the dog off, but my uncle's dog didn't survive but a few hours after.

Needless to say AC came and got that dog, and a few months later the owners went to jail for manufacturing and selling meth. Karma.

19. wee

wee Active Member

Not the same scenario as gunsmoker suggested because my dog is in my fenced backyard with no reason for anyone to enter, but like Nemo I would shoot back if I caught someone shooting at my dog....If my dog got out of the fence and attacked someone and they had to shoot him that is a different story.

Brian

20. SgtRock

SgtRock Member

I carry either a baseball bat or a One-Wood golf club as my dog eradication device.