Featured Dog Attack Weapon Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by GM404, Nov 19, 2017.

1. GM404

GM404 Active Member

So this morning while walking the neighborhood, a dog came up on (very quickly) and attacked my dog. The attack was quick and there were several puncture wounds on my dog before the offending dog's owner was able to pull him/her from my dog. When the dog was attacking, I was punching, kneeing, kicking the dog as HARD as I could to no avail...and although I am not a huge dude, I am 6'3" pushing 270 pounds, so I *can* hit pretty hard...but it did not matter. I was in fact carrying and if I could have gotten a clean shot in, I would have shot the dog. However there was no way to engage the attacking dog without significant risk of injuring my own dog (plus there were two small children that were within 20 feet of this), so I didn't pull it.

So, after some lengthy "debriefing" with myself on how I would have dealt with this better, I decided that having a stun baton is a good idea. However, I am not sure what constitutes a good quality stun baton. So, I ask the good folks here...what would you recommend?

I am not looking for Monday morning quarterbacking about how I should have shot the dog, that's not the intention here. *If* I could have gotten off a safe shot, I would have...but the circumstances precluded that remedy.

2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Pepper spray or tear gas? Do they bother dogs?

As far as the stun baton I think I would stay with the handheld box type one. Primarily to not have to carry the baton type with me. I would risk the bite to buzz the dog.

Nemo

3. GM404

GM404 Active Member

I thought about a knife, but I would prefer to not knife anything. I understand that it would justified, but I don't want memories and sinking a knife in the jugular of an animal...call me crazy, but I can imagine the 'feedback' I would get from the stabbing and I don't think it would be something I could shake for a while.

4. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

pepper spray works very well on dogs. If you have already been bitten and cannot get the dog to release, a digit inserted in the dogs anus is like a reset switch. It will let go. If it has your fist in its mouth, ram it down it's throat, it will release.

5. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Active Member

I can't make a recommendation for you, but always carry a knife and it would have buried deep in that dog. I have no desire to kill someone's dog, but if theirs attacked mine, theirs would be dead. End of story. I definitely wouldn't shoot the dog as cops seem to frown on you discharging a firearm in residential areas.

6. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

I was rushed by a large strange dog today, with a bigger sibling waiting inside the open gate. Turned out to be a non-issue (#1 wanted to play, #2 wouldn't cross the open gate line), but I too would have engaged in "hand to hand" before killing either. I pondered if several "warning shots" would disburse the two. Anyone have experience?

7. Craftsman

Craftsman Active Member

Knife. Would you rather remember standing over your dead dog and telling your kids you couldn't do anything or remember the unpleasant feeling of sticking a knife in a living being? Tough choice. Life is hard.

Not going to second guess on the no shoot. You were there, I wasn't. But if you are unwilling to kill close up, why do you think it will be any easier at a distance?

8. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

Once a fight has begun, pepper spray has absolutely zero affect whatsoever on a dog. At least it didn't on mine. At that point, I lost all confidence in the stuff. And it was the good stuff - Fox Labs.

I have a GSD that I raised from a pup. We took in a rescued GSD. They had a personality clash. Both were dominant females, and they commenced to challenging each other for the alpha role. They had a few skirmishes, then got in a death match fight. Both throats were clenched in jaws. I was not going to shoot the one I raised. I didn't want to shoot either one of them, but I would have shot the rescued one, if needed. I yelled to my daughter to bring down my pepper spray. I nailed both of them with it, right in their faces, at point blank range. Nothing at all happened, except my eyes started watering real bad and I started coughing.

Two of us each took a pair of back legs and pulled them apart. They still showed no effects from the spray. Until they calmed down. Then I could tell they were hurting.

Lesson learned: Pepper spray may stop a dog who is charging and just thinking about attacking. Once an attack commences - forget it. Dogs have binary minds. One track. When they get hell bent on doing something, very few things will change their mind. Pepper spray sure won't. Only overwhelming force will. Soon thereafter, we found another home for the rescued one.

9. GM404

GM404 Active Member

Yeah, very true. I obviously don't want a dead or severely injured dog...I am quite attached to the a**hole. :) I have no issues with killing "up close"; had I the opportunity, I would have put at least two holes in the dog, no question about it. I know it sounds odd, but I would much prefer to *not* stab something. Nonetheless, it *is* a very good weapon and probably the route I would go if it happened again.

So, in re-evaluating what went down, I would initially use hand-held Taser-type device (I believe my DW still has one from back in the day) to try and stop it. If that is unsuccessful, then I will either knife or shoot the animal, depending on the situation. I think the thing that I really didn't like was the feeling (and actuality) of not being in control of the situation. We have had lots of dogs run up on us over the years of walks, but an attack that was so FAST and VIOLENT really took me by surprise. And man, I am sore today. My back is crazy tweaked and I have several burns on my hands from the retractable leash...they are not kidding about them being dangerous in certain situations!

I thought about a warning shot after the fact and think it may have been a possible choice. What was running through my head was the kids that were close by, the attacking animal's owner (not sure exactly where he was) and watching the attacking dog viciously ripping at my dog's neck and trying to stop that. I was quite surprised at how my relentless beating on the dog was 100% ineffective. In hindsight, I don't know that I would have fired warning shots...

10. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Active Member

Years ago, a pit bull got loose and was running around our neighborhood. It chased a person up a small tree and continued to run around keeping the person up in the tree. Someone sprayed pepper spray at the dog and all it did was spread in the air and irritate all the people that were out waiting for the police to show up and deal with the dog. After it was over, I was talking to a couple of the officers and one of them told me that I should have shot the dog. They did not end up shooting the dog either, so I wonder how that would have worked out for me. Probably not good since they did not do it either.

Can't help with pepper spray as I have never used the stuff.

11. TheEngineer

TheEngineer New Member

GM404, what type of dog do you have and how big is it? I wouldn't recommend the same response for a cane corso as I would a corgi.

I don't recommend trying to stab the dog, it's not going to stop the fight immediately and it increases the chance that you will be injured, you'll stab your own dog, or you will end up in criminal or civil court.

Bear spray has been recommended to me, and I know of some people that have used it effectively but you and your dog are going to get hit as well. I carry it as a last resort but have never used it.

I have had similar encounters many times. I have three working dogs; 17, 65, and 95 lbs. With my two smaller dogs my efforts are to protect them, with my larger dog my efforts are to keep him from killing the other dog so my "defense" depends on which dog I have and what the actual threat is. Fortunately all but one time this happened with my little dog my wife and I were together and she could scoop her up while I engaged and diverted the dog. The one time we weren't together I had the good fortune of being near a fenced in yard and I just threw her over the fence while the irresponsible dog owner caught up and re-leashed their dog.

I have not been so fortunate with the other two in preventing all incidents. It sucks to watch your dog in a fight, it sucks even more when they are both your dogs and killing one to save the other is not an option. But dogs are tough, it takes longer than you would think for a life-threatening injury to occur. If the other dogs owner is around the best thing you can do is stay calm and firmly instruct them on how to assist you in breaking up the fight. If you are alone it is a bit tougher but not impossible if you know what to do; my wife has done it, and she is tiny compared to you.

How to break up a dog fight without getting yourself hurt:

http://leerburg.com/dogfight.htm

In addition to the techniques in the article and video above I carry a break stick so that in the event one dog is too stubborn to know the fight is over I don't need to put my soft hands in their mouth.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    scootch likes this.
  12. TheEngineer

TheEngineer New Member

No.

Also no.

Probably would have succeeded in starting the fight. In my experience dogs in that "mode" are only excited into action by loud noises.

Winner

It was not overwhelming force that ended the fight in your case. When dogs in that mode encounter force, no matter how large, they will respond with force. What ended your fight is the removal of force - and that is the only way to end a dog fight without both of the dogs deciding to quit or one of them dying.

13. wee

wee Member

This sounds crazy but I have seen it work on 2 occasions.....Keep a can of cola or any carbonated beverage with you....If the dogs get into a fight shake can and spray them in the nose.....Both times this has caused the larger dog to let go....Not for long, but enough time to pull them apart. I didn't come up with this, it was told to me from someone that owned pits, he said it even works on them....? I didn't know this guy from a hill of beans but I wouldn't be surprised to find out he fought dogs for sport. This info stuck with me and came in very handy to break up a dog fight.

Brian

14. I carried a cattle prod back when I used to walk more than I do now. Only had to use it one time on a large multibreed dog.It worked like a champ. No permanent damage to dog other than the next time we met he ran.
    The one I used was 3 feet long and light weight. tried to find a picture of it but they have all changed much from back then.

15. psrumors

psrumors Active Member

I will agree that there isn't going to be a lot that will stop a dog that is in "drive" but one thing for sure a spray of ammonia will work. It will cause a dog to topple over itself and run away in screaming agony. I have witnessed it myself on multiple occasions.

Many recommend a 50% mix with water but I have always used it full strength and it has worked every time. The first one I ever used it on was at the end of our old neighborhood. A fairly big mix liked to charge my motorcycle when I pulled to the stop sign. I would have to run the stop sign to keep him from reaching me. One spray and that was it. It was so traumatic for the dog that the next few trips by he would cry on his porch while I sat at the stop sign.

16. 45_Fan

45_Fan Active Member

Not sure if it will break up a fight but ammonia will certainly send dogs packing.

17. psrumors

psrumors Active Member

I have seen it break up fights as well

18. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Active Member