Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Does your GFL look somewhat amateurish?

4K views 81 replies 43 participants last post by  TangoMike 
#1 ·
Not that it matters as long as it's stamped, signed and current. But were you at least a little surprised at the appearance of your GFL when you received it? I was sort of expecting something along the lines of a driver's license or state ID in terms of quality.

Mine looks like it was shakily cut from cheap paper with a dull pair of scissors. Back and front was badly misaligned when laminated. My signature is in blue ink but the Probate's "stamped" signature is in black. In a way, I'm glad I signed in blue because it makes the thing look less like a bad photocopy.

For a document of such legal signifigance, it just looks so home made.
What did you think about yours?

#3 ·
Mine from DeKalb is low end as well.
My Texas one was just like a DL, with picture / number / state registration.
But it cost a whole lot more too.

Makes me wonder... how would a firearms dealer or LEO know if one was counterfeit ? Does each county have a 24/7 hotline to verify GFL's ?

One fellow on here told me that there is no statewide registration or connectivity between DL and GFL.

There's no end of interesting things about Georgia's laws and systems, and not just with respect to firearms and carry.

It would nice to make GFL's more like car tags, you could just carry a note that says "license applied for".

#4 ·
Lifer said:
Mine looks like it was shakily cut from cheap paper with a dull pair of scissors.
I don't think they used scissors on mine, just folded and licked the edges before tearing.

It would nice to make GFL's more like car tags, you could just carry a note that says "license applied for".
[ironically before I joined GCO] in my office we noticed how long the wait time to get your GFL was and when someone announced they applied for it, whom ever had it last would pass on the little card board card that someone wrote with a sharpy marker that said, " GFL applyed 4" misspelled of course... true story.

#9 ·
Gunstar1 said:
budder said:
Bulloch3317 said:
I'll admit, I thought I would get a bit more sparkle for $60...

Oh well, at least I have my CCW Badge!
Bulloch is $60? :bigshock: That's crazy!
More like, Illegal.

Hopefully he was just making a slight exaggeration.
Yup.

$30 and $20 to the Sheriff and Court, respectively.

#10 ·
In an odd sort of way, I'm kinda glad it looks a bit amateurish. It's like they did it just to meet the letter of the law; because they just Had to do something, rather than something they thought was of vital importance with holograms and anti-counterfeiting measures.

It'd be better still if they did the GFL like Vermont, though, wouldn't it? :)

#11 ·
gsusnake said:
Gunstar1 said:
budder said:
Bulloch3317 said:
I'll admit, I thought I would get a bit more sparkle for $60...

Oh well, at least I have my CCW Badge!
Bulloch is $60? :bigshock: That's crazy!
More like, Illegal.

Hopefully he was just making a slight exaggeration.
Yup.

$30 and $20 to the Sheriff and Court, respectively.
:-k 30 + 20 = 50 != 60...

#12 ·
New2Atlanta said:
Makes me wonder... how would a firearms dealer or LEO know if one was counterfeit ? Does each county have a 24/7 hotline to verify GFL's ?
No they don't.

New2Atlanta said:
One fellow on here told me that there is no statewide registration or connectivity between DL and GFL.
This is correct. There is no connection here. There also is no statewide database of GFL holders.

#14 ·
Adam5 said:
New2Atlanta said:
This is correct. There is no connection here. There also is no statewide database of GFL holders.
Thank goodness! All I need if I ever get stopped for speeding again is for the dispatcher to scream over the radio, "He's got a gun!" :shock:

#15 ·
Malum Prohibitum said:
Adam5 said:
New2Atlanta said:
Thank goodness! All I need if I ever get stopped for speeding again is for the dispatcher to scream over the radio, "He's got a gun!" :shock:
Then you can use the infamous "Don't taze me, bro!"

#16 ·
I would be willing to pay an extra $5 or so each renewal period to get an "official looking" GFL (like a DL with a pic). The few times I have shown mine to people (not because I had to, just in conversation) I don't think they believed it was real.

It looks worse than the ones my office makes in house for our part-time contract workers. Even they have photos on them and are laminated better/sturdier. If it is technology with making the cards that is an issue, then have the DMV make them. Better yet, just make it an endorsement on our existing DL. No new cards to make, no extra cards to carry. Folks that don't have a DL could get a regular state issued ID card with the proper endorsement. What we are issued by the counties/state is a joke.

#17 ·
VOLGRAD said:
I would be willing to pay an extra $5 or so each renewal period to get an "official looking" GFL (like a DL with a pic). The few times I have shown mine to people (not because I had to, just in conversation) I don't think they believed it was real.

It looks worse than the ones my office makes in house for our part-time contract workers. Even they have photos on them and are laminated better/sturdier. If it is technology with making the cards that is an issue, then have the DMV make them. Better yet, just make it an endorsement on our existing DL. No new cards to make, no extra cards to carry. Folks that don't have a DL could get a regular state issued ID card with the proper endorsement. What we are issued by the counties/state is a joke.
I would want to keep my GFL off my DL like it is now because you might have a cop that pulls you over and just hate that you have a right to carry and then your tased on the ground crying for mom.But I think that they
could have it look better then what we have now,I would want a photo on the front and on the back there should have a finger print next to the carry code lettering.
But I have a reason to have my GFL like this is because I was pulled over
three weeks ago and the Officer want my DL well when I gave him my DL
I had GFL under my DL and he seen it, then he ask if I had a firearm in the car I said yes.Then tell me to get out of the car and place my hands truck of the car. He takes my DL runs it to see if I have any warrants out on me.Well he tells me why he pulled me over,then I ask why he told me to step out of the car he said it was because of the firearm.I ask him if he really thought I would be a danger to him because I have a license to carry and I'm law-abiding citizen.He say yes :evil:

I was pulled over because I burned some rubber in my driveway and he said it was on the county road which it wasn't.

#18 ·
jason1 said:
I was pulled over three weeks ago and . . .I had GFL under my DL . . . he asked if I had a firearm in the car. I said yes. Then tell me to get out of the car and place my hands trunk of the car.
:shock:

jason1 said:
I asked him if he really thought I would be a danger to him because I have a license to carry and am a law-abiding citizen. He said yes
:shakehead:
Never happened. Fantasyland.

But this is why I neither volunteer this information nor keep my driver's license near my GFL. It is also why I would oppose linking GFLs to driver's licenses or otherwise notifying officers automatically.

Once the officer has lawfully stopped you (such as for probable cause to believe he witnessed you committing a traffic offense), Georgia law permits him to, at a minimum, separate you from the firearm.

Read Megesi v. State

The same situation does not apply when you are openly carrying (absent a traffic offense :wink: ), because there is no basis for the stop in the first place.

Make no mistake - when you are stopped for a traffic offense, you are temporarily arrested. Drive carefully.

G
#19 ·
$20 + $30 = $50 != 60

BUT

Consider 2 Hours away from work (30 for the app, 1 hour for Fingerprinting, 30 minutes to pick up license) and $50 actually == $62.30

One more reason I am agitated they don't just mail you the license.

Sorry for the slow reply, this whole real life thing really eats up my forum time!

#20 ·
MP Wrote
Never happened. Fantasyland.

Yes it did happen,I will never volunteer anything again with the police plus I will hide my GFL better If I'm every pulled over again.

But the only good thing was after all of these I didn't get a ticket.

I didn't mean to burn rubber but driveway as a little gravel on it.But I thought
that the police have no right to tell you can and can't do on your own land.Saylike if you want to race on your land I thought its legal.

#21 ·
Yes, mine looks like something out of a 1st grade classes art project.

The few people I've shown it to out of curiosity have also thought it was fake or a joke.

I always figure if I get questioned out of state, I'll show my FL permit first as it looks official. I can easily see other states LEO not being familiar with the quality of the GFL card.

#25 ·
Bulloch3317 said:
VOLGRAD said:
Bulloch3317 said:
One more reason I am agitated they don't just mail you the license.
Depends on the county. I have been issued from two different counties. Both mailed them to me.
My agitation is at Bulloch County. Though I have to admit, they are blazing fast for first time applicants. 6 days in total.
:-k Mine was 35.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.