Does Your Courthouse Have a Metal Detector?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I am interested in how many courthouses statewide have metal detectors. It was not that many years ago that most did not. Within the last twelve months, I have not been in even one outlying courthouse without going through a metal detector.

If you live outside a metropolitan area, have you been to your courthouse in the last year, and does your county courthouse have metal detectors? If you don't know, would you please swing by and look?

I know there was some courthouse security legislation in the last session, but I did not research it very well. Did this require metal detectors statewide?

On Topic: Please keep this post thread limited to whether your courthouse does or does not have metal detectors, rather than the wisdom or efficacy of such measures. The information will be put to good use.
    :wink:

2. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Carroll - Yes
    Douglas - Yes
    Haralson - Yes

3. Malum Prohibitum

Fulton
    DeKalb
    Fayette
    Coweta
    Cherokee
    Gwinnett
    Cobb

All Yes

4. Malum Prohibitum

What about you way-out-there-low-population-county folks?

5. tony218

tony218 New Member

clayton co. = YES

6. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

Cobb also had locked storage outside the building.

7. Foul

Foul New Member

Both X-ray and metal detectors (walkthru and hand-held wands).

8. Sgt.B

Sgt.B New Member

Dawson County- yes

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Forsyth = Yes. (according to my neighbor)

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Coffee-- Yes and No

Coffee County does not have metal detectors / security screening for the courthouse itself. There are too many government offices in there besides the actual courtrooms. But when criminal court is held, or a divorce / child custody case involving threats and a lot of hatred between the parties and their respective families... then they set up the metal detectors at the entrance to the courtroom itself. This is a new policy. A few years ago, the metal detectors were only used maybe once a year, only when there was a credible threat that somebody was going to try something.

Imagine going 150 years without searching visitors to the courthouse for weapons, and as far as I know, not a single innocent death has resulted from this negligence. I'm sure that a few years from now, if one of the metal detectors stops working, they'll declare a mistrial and send everybody home rather than work under such dangerous conditions !
    Everybody will forget how we used to get along fine without them.

12. johnpeace

johnpeace New Member

Hall Co., yep.

I asked the deputies once (while they were at lunch) if there were any provision for securing my gun while I did business in the courthouse.

They tasered me.

Just kidding.

But they did tell me that no, if you carry into the courthouse, you're breaking the public gathering law and are subject to arrest.

13. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Dougherty- Walk through Metal Detectors, as well as hand wands. I don't believe that they have storage on site, but I will find out next time I am there.

14. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Have been in quite a few courthouses with my job. All yes, including out of the way places like Hart and Lavonia, as well as worker's comp courtrooms in random office buildings in Mid-town.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Please list as many of those "out of the way" county courthouses as you can remember with confidence.

[-o<

16. todd91yj

todd91yj New Member

Walton Co.

Metal detectors and x-ray

17. tony218

tony218 New Member

i forgot about the x-ray

18. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

Oconee yes at the doors for metal detectors, xray bags before you go in a courtroom.

19. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Bibb has the walkthrough & bag scan at the only public entrance to the courthouse. Everyone goes through.

Not sure about Jones county. I'll try to find out.