Does the NRA care?

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by geaux_tigers, Jul 30, 2006.

1. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/Articles/Read.aspx?ID=198

I don't know if the NRA recognizes the issues inherent in the Geogia concealed carry law. It seems that they have also bought into the myth that we are a permissive state and don't really require their attention. Things like the "moral character" test, probate courts dragging their feet when issuing, and rescriction on carry such as public gathering and
    public transportation/buildings are more restrictive than they seem to realize.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I think the posts above correctly summarize the issues.

Keep in mind that it is not just the view of the NRA and foreign states - it is the view of Georgians, too.

People need to be made aware of the restrictions, and then, to counter the inevitable head nodding, "Uh-huh, that should be off limits," made aware of the places that do not place similar places off limits and are experiencing no issues of violence by license holders as a result.

Every place that is off limits in Georgia is not off limits in some other state (like, for instance, Al., Co., Fl., Or., or Va., inter alia).

90% of the states allow carry onto mass transit, but we have a felony for leaving it in your glovebox in the parking lot while helping your visting mother in law get her luggage!

3. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

You read it here first, folks! MP recommends not helping your visiting mother in law get her luggage, or, perhaps, not letting your mother in law visit. :lol:

4. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

The debate on if to help with her luggage would greatly depend on if whether she is arriving or departing... :lol:

5. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

:rotfl:

USMCR, you are on roll today!

6. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I aggree. Many people here in Georgia are ignorant of the problems in our statutes. But having a major organization, such as NRA that is presumed to be knowledgeable of such things, prepetuate these myths is, in my opinion, making things worse by reinforcing misperceptions.

Unfortunately, I see no place to respond to the author or his editor. :x

7. Malum Prohibitum

Let us see what the NRA is doing in Maryland, which has no right to carry, when approached by a state politician begging them to help him get it passed. Read it for yourself:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=213908

Excerpt:

"Over the past several years, I have sponsored Maryland’s Right to Carry legislation against the will of Mr. Purtilo and the NRA. That’s right. On multiple occasions, Mr. Purtilo and Jen Palmer of the NRA have come to me and requested that I withdraw my RTC legislation."

8. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

And I think that response to your post by "carebear" is supporting evidence of my point; he implies that GA is not deserving of NRA's attention because our laws a pretty good.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Take a look at number 6. Apparently the NRA sees no reason to oppose closing the "gun show loophole." :roll:

:shakehead:

10. Malum Prohibitum

And apparently (no surprise here) the NRA does not oppose the $200 tax stamp registration on "machine guns." See number 14.

How about asking instead:

Would you support a repeal of 18 U.S.C. 922(o), which bans the further manufacture of machine guns for civilian use after May of 1986, effectively freezing the supply while demand grows, driving the price to stratosheric levels?

(a) Yes, I will work to repeal it.

(b) No, I like gun bans. They worked so well in Germany, the Soviet Union, China, and Cuba.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Argh! #-o Number 9 actually states the NRA's position that it "does not oppose" any of the "strictly regulated" firearms "restrictions in their current form."

[-(

12. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

How do they reconcile that with their stance that people ought to be able to keep and bear arms of their choice?

Only as long as they choose an arm approved by the government?

13. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

That reminds me of a draft of the new Iraqi constitution I read a long time ago. It mentioned all of these "rights" of the people that were not to be restricted "except when prohibited by law." What's the point?