Does Open Carry Prevent Crime?

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by USMC - Retired, Sep 26, 2006.

1. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Last night my wife and I were comming home from a Friends Of NRA meeting and stopped for gas in an area of town that you don't want to run out of gas in, if you know what I mean. I tend to open carry more often than not and last night was no exception. I was pumping my gas and noticed movement from the corner of my eye and turned my head to see a rather large, gang banger looking guy walking at a quick pace directly at me. He was about ten feet from me and I turned to face him and he stopped dead in his tracks. (till this point my gun had been blocked from his view) I said, "Hey, how's it going?" and he stammered something back that I couldn't understand and did a hard right and walked off at a brisk pace. Now I can't prove that he had criminal intentions but I just had that feeling. What are your thoughts? Any one else here have any experiences where you think open carry may have defused a situation before it became a statistic?

2. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I have only had one situation where I think exposure was my friend. I was not open carrying, however during the hurricanes in Florida a few years back (4 of them in one season) I was helping the owner of my company and my family. All the generators and gas cans, oh and gas were sold out of central florida. I was there for the 3rd hurricane and things were completely sold out on the first one! I arrived about 12 hours or so before landfall.

I had 2 midsize gens and 10 5 gallon cans of gas in the bed of my RAM. Things must were pretty desperate down there. I stopped for gas in the daytime, to avoid night time issues, and in a busy TA travel center. Well after some guys saw what I had in the trunk they approached the truck. I am thankful this one time, wind blew open my shirt to expose my sidearm in a Galco paddle holster! I was wearing a tank top and unbuttoned collared shirt.

I received the same response as you did. All 3 stopped, looked, waved and said nice truck!

Whatever.............I knew what was going on. And this was just south of Interstate 10 in North Florida!

I dont open carry but the wind saved my A$$ that day!

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I talked to that guy after your encounter. He told me that he was just going to tell you that your fly was open, but he thought better of it.

4. USMC - Retired

That would explain why he seemed so intimidated...

5. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I think open carry is a better deterrent for individuals. (Principal of certainty)

Concealed carry is a better deterrent for groups. (Principal of uncertainty)

Of course I just made that up :), but I think that makes sense. Granted in a state where open carry is allowed criminals aren't going to be able to see if everyone is carrying openly so there are some spill over effects. IMO, both types should be allowed. I think there are some people that shouldn't open carry (not that i'd try to stop them) simply for the fact that they may not have the reflxes, presence of mind, or strength to retain a gun. Further, some people just scream "target" in the eyes of a criminal and I could see a criminal who would be more enticed to go after such a person if they thought they could get the gun AND commit the crime without being hurt.

I guess that all goes back to willingness to use leathal force, which shouldn't be an issue with anyone who chooses to carry, whether that is open or concealed.

Sorry if my seat of the pants social policy opinions might be wrong, just be rest assured that unlike a lot of the people I go to school with I won't try to shove them down anyones throat and I'm more than willing to listen to criticism.

6. Malum Prohibitum

I don't know whether it prevents crime, but forced concealed carry means treating carry like your dirty little secret.

And I like for people to see a firearm carried openly by a peaceful person who is not a police officer.

It's educational.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Does Open Carry Prevent Crime?

Well, I open carried into Kroger last night to purchase NyQuil (I have a nasty cold), and I did not feel like throwing on my sport coat, so I was carrying an H&K .45 openly. There was no crime. Does this prove that open carry prevents crime?
    :D

8. USMC - Retired

That depends.... Did you drive home after taking your NyQuil or or did you wait until you got home to take it? Don't want you driving under the influence you know.... :shock: