Does Fulton still require SS card for carry license?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Totenkopf, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Totenkopf

Totenkopf New Member

Hi guys...new member, and the site looks great. I live in north Fulton, and I want to get a carry license. The "License Process by County" section of the site says to bring your Social Security card, but I also read that it is no longer needed, so I'd like to be sure before I go down there. I'd rather not give them my SS number, plus my dad lost my card, so I'd have to get a new one if they require it still. thanks

2. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Your not required to provide your SSN or Employment info. These should be noted as "optional" on the application.

P.S. - Have you joined GCO yet? They can assist you with problems you may encounter when applying.

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Basically, you can refuse to give them that information because they are not one of the government agencies that require it.

If they give you any lip (like they did to me) you can tell them they are in violation of the law and if the continue to demand your SSN you will sue them. I'd image that will stop them. OH, and it wouldn't hurt to take in the SSN Protection Act (or whatever the law is titled) to show the lady.

Just a heads up, the lady at the North Fulton annex can be a bitch.

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

welcome, by the way. :welcome:

5. Totenkopf

Totenkopf New Member

Thanks guys! Rammstein, did you refuse to give your SS number, but still get issued a permit? I don't want to piss them off and get refused, but at the same time, I do not want to submit my social security number unless it is absolutely necessary to get my license. If the north annex lady is a pain to deal with, does anyone know if I would get an easier time at the probate court or south annex?

Also, I'm going to join GCO...looks like a good group.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I did give them my SSN, but that was because I submitted my paperwork before I knew about this site.

If they press the issue and say that you must give it to them I would try to get that on tape. That's be some nice evidence of their non-compliance to take to court.

But, you should shoot an email to GCO and see what their legal people have to say.

7. Totenkopf

Totenkopf New Member

Thanks man....I'll do that.

8. Taler

Taler New Member

Your last sentence is an understatement, Ramm.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

SSN link.

10. Totenkopf

Totenkopf New Member

Hi guys. I filled out the application for my carry license today, but I didn't put my SS number down anywhere...it is asked for several times. The clerk at the north annex told me I had to put it, so I asked for her business card, and then I started to leave.

She stopped me and called someone, and then she said that I did not have to put my SS number down, but that I was risking not being approved for the carry license.

She put it through, but it was too late for me to get printed in Alpharetta, so I am doing it Monday. The clerk said that they would not fingerprint me without the SS number on the fingerprint cards, and she wrote "refused" in the SS number field. Does anyone know if the guys at the station in Alpharetta will give me a hard time for refusing to provide my SS number? Thanks!

11. Malum Prohibitum

:banghead:

Good move on your part, though, asking for the business card! :righton:

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Risking not being approved? :roll: She's full of it.

13. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

But of course, the judge could always refuse a GFL on the moral part since you did not provide. Doubt it would happen but they are the court :roll:

14. Malum Prohibitum

Not "and get away with it."

15. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Not if you are a GCO memeber!!

16. Totenkopf

Totenkopf New Member

Got it done today! The lady at the Alpharetta police station was very nice and efficient. She signed off on the paperwork, and she didn't even question the "refused" written in the SSN field. I guess the clerk at the North Fulton Annex was just giving me a hard time. Now the wait...

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

You wrote "refused" in the SSN field? At least you didn't leave it blank! :lol:

18. Totenkopf

Totenkopf New Member

Hi guys. I just received my carry license from Pinkie Toomer today! The wait wasn't as bad as I expected.

My brother, on the other hand, had his fingerprint cards rejected by the FBI twice because of "illegibility". He is out of the state, but when he gets back here, he is going to get his fingerprints scanned at Pryor Street. He doesn't like the idea of his prints being in a computer system, but I told him that they probably scan in all of the paper cards anyway...does anyone know for sure?

19. Malum Prohibitum

The scanned prints usually result in receiving the license more quickly.