Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wondering where i can legally shoot my firearms without breaking any laws...not at a range or anything, i mean just outside, of course, safe backstop and uninhabited area, just to have fun shooting at cans, melons, etc...i live in alpharetta, but dont mind driving a while to go somewhere to shoot outside...any particular place people go? i dont have land or know anybody who has land and woods to shoot safely and legally, so just wondering if there are some spots people in my situation go to shoot...

I didnt know where to post this so i posted here...since this is firearms, i did get a nice Gen 4 G17 from Ed's yesterday, check it out:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
You cannot discharge a firearm within 50 yards of a roadway(except in defense of your life, or against great bodily harm, or that of a third-party), nor can you discharge a firearm in a generally negligent way. You must make sure that you are sending your rounds down-range, into some type of berm or mound. I once had to answer a call on a gentleman that was discharging his Ruger pistol, on his property, and a few of the rounds entered a neighbor's home, with one round lodged into his refrigerator, and one into his microwave.

Do not take this as me saying that you would do this, but you must be mindful of where your rounds will go, if downrange does not have a backstop. Also, be advised that many local governments put more restriction on this measurement(though, I do not understand how, since Georgia is a "Preemption" state, but I am no lawyer). I know that in Rome, GA, you cannot discharge a firearm within either 100 feet or 150 feet(I was not a Rome City Police Officer, so I never cared about knowing). In some areas, this measurement is greater(still, the same exemptions apply, such as defensive discharge).

I am sure the information is on this site, but I could be wrong. Just check the forum that covers firearm laws(on this site), and also do a Google Search on the Original Code of Georgia, Annotated(O.C.G.A). Lexis-Nexis has the whole codebook online, accessible for free.

I have ten acres of land in Haralson County, where my girlfriend and I built a house. I have a dirt mound covering the junk pile from the build. I use that to target practice, but I also chose that area due to there being a land barrier behind that mound. I might have gone beyond what is needed, but I would rather be as safe as possible.

Good luck, be safe, and enjoy your new firearm(s). :righton: I like the new grip on the Fourth Generation of the Glock handgun. I would have gone with the Glock 22, 23, or 27(full-size, compact, and subcompact), but that is just me.

*EDIT*

O.C.G.A. 16-11-103 will tell you what you need to know:
§ 16-11-103. Discharge of gun or pistol near public highway or street

A person is guilty of a misdemeanor when, without legal justification, he discharges a gun or pistol on or within 50 yards of a public highway or street.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1882-83, p. 131, §§ 1, 2; Penal Code 1895, § 508; Penal Code 1910, § 504; Code 1933, § 26-7301; Code 1933, § 26-2909, enacted by Ga. L. 1968, p. 1249, § 1.
Found at: http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/gacode/

*EDIT*

I meant 50 yards. Apologizes.

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
The previously mentioned code section covers state law. The only other question is whether or not any local ordinances would offer further restrictions. Municode.com may be a good starting point.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx guys...Funny u mentioned going with the 40 S&W caliber glocks...i just sold my G23 to a forum member in order to fund the G17! the 40 cal platform just isnt for me, now i have all the 9mm glocks i wanted (26, 19, 17)...

·
Registered
11 Posts
SW_Sigma said:
Im wondering where i can legally shoot my firearms without breaking any laws...not at a range or anything, i mean just outside, of course, safe backstop and uninhabited area, just to have fun shooting at cans, melons, etc...i live in alpharetta, but dont mind driving a while to go somewhere to shoot outside...any particular place people go? i dont have land or know anybody who has land and woods to shoot safely and legally, so just wondering if there are some spots people in my situation go to shoot...

I didnt know where to post this so i posted here...since this is firearms, i did get a nice Gen 4 G17 from Ed's yesterday, check it out:
I have the same issue. I also live in Alpharetta and there is only expensive indoor ranges around. I would rather pay somebody to let me shoot in their backyard from time to time instead.

I drive to Charlie Elliot outdoor range in Mansfield GA almost every week; we could carpool. Shooting there is free, but it is one heck of a drive.

My neighborhood is very urban so I have been only able to get away with shooting powderless .22's and air rifles against my 10 foot berm at 20 yards.

Nice new Glock by the way. PM me if you want to carpool to range on weekend.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
SW_Sigma said:
Thx guys...Funny u mentioned going with the 40 S&W caliber glocks...i just sold my G23 to a forum member in order to fund the G17! the 40 cal platform just isnt for me, now i have all the 9mm glocks i wanted (26, 19, 17)...
It's funny how they multiply once you have one. I love having multiple sizes of basically the same gun. Can use them for different purposes without adjusting to a new trigger, grip, etc.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,109 Posts
You can't just find a spot in the woods to shoot, unless you know who owns / manages those woods and unless you have their permission.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-104

Discharge of firearms on property of another

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge a firearm on the property of another person, firm, or corporation without having first obtained permission from the owner or lessee of the property. This Code section shall not apply to:

(1) Persons who fire or discharge a firearm in defense of person or property; and

(2) Law enforcement officers.

Also, shooting is banned in all state and federal Parks and Corps of Engineers property (think of all those woods around lake Lanier and Allatoona). Shooting in WMA's is banned, except while actually hunting with a firearm during the appropriate season, or unless that WMA has a public firing range.

I agree that outdoor shooting is the best. I like fresh air.

If you're in Alpharetta, you're only about 20 miles from Dawsonville, up GA 400, right?
Check out Riverbend Gun Club. www.rbgc.org. They have several outdoor rifle and pistol ranges on their land, which is about 20 minutes northwest from Cumming/ Coal Mountain. They are a members-only range when it comes to practicing on your own, but all their matches and competitions are open to the public. (For a small entrance fee of about $15 or so.) Feel free to bring that new pistol of yours to some kind of action pistol shoot, slow fire bullseye pistol shoot, or a steel plate competition.

·
68,524 Posts
gunsmoker said:
You can't just find a spot in the woods to shoot, unless you know who owns / manages those woods and unless you have their permission.
What about USDA Forest Service land?

·
68,524 Posts
Montezuma said:
Also, be advised that many local governments put more restriction on this measurement (though, I do not understand how, since Georgia is a "Preemption" state, but I am no lawyer).
Because the preemption law has this exception:

Nothing contained in this Code section shall prohibit municipalities or counties, by ordinance, resolution, or other enactment, from reasonably limiting or prohibiting the discharge of firearms within the boundaries of the municipal corporation or county.
Although "reasonably limiting or prohibiting" is open to interpretation in the eye of the beholder. This exception to preemption ought to be restricted more narrowly to prevent things like my county, Coweta, which restricts shooting within 100 yards of a house or 50 yards of a property line. But they let people build houses only 50 feet from my property line, so I have to negotiate this stupid maze of arcs on my property to be sure I am standing 301 feet from any particular neighbor when discharging my gun without getting the new neighbors' permission ahead of time.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
gunsmoker said:
What about USDA Forest Service land?
Link
Target Shooting
While we encourage persons participating in target shooting to practice on the national forests’ shooting ranges, it is possible to target shoot in areas of the forest (outside of shooting ranges) with some restrictions.

The following are prohibited on the Chattahoochee and Oconee National Forest.

1.Discharging a firearm within 50 yards of an open public road as well as on or across a forest system road.
2.Discharging a firearm within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area.
3.Discharging a firearm on or across a body of water except when engaged in legal hunting, such as duck hunting.
4.Discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle.
5.Discharging a firearm into or within a cave.
6.Discharging a firearm in a manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage (provide for safe bullet impact area).
7.Transporting a loaded long gun in a motor vehicle.
8.Possession of a firearm in any Federal building or facility (prohibited even with a state concealed carry permit) {18 USC 930}.
9.Littering (remove all trash including targets and spent shell casings)
In addition to the above mentioned laws and regulations, the carrying of a firearm on your person is governed primarily by state law. These laws can be viewed in the online version of the Georgia Code. Expand Title 16---Chapter 11---Article 4---Parts 1, 2, & 3

·
Registered
156 Posts
SW_Sigma said:
I have an older G17 and have been considering the purchase of a G22 gen4. Just curious as to what you didn't like about the 40 cal platform.

(Interesting thread; just found out that all the target shooting I've been doing in the Chattahoochee National Forest is legal!) :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Although "reasonably limiting or prohibiting" is open to interpretation in the eye of the beholder. This exception to preemption ought to be restricted more narrowly to prevent things like my county, Coweta, which restricts shooting within 100 yards of a house or 50 yards of a property line. But they let people build houses only 50 feet from my property line, so I have to negotiate this stupid maze of arcs on my property to be sure I am standing 301 feet from any particular neighbor when discharging my gun without getting the new neighbors' permission ahead of time.
MP, do you have a link for this code? My google foo must be weak, I've done several searches and can't find it, I have a new neighbor that needs to see it. I'm in western coweta, we're all on 4 to 8 acre lots, the new neighbor that just moved in that is using a hill on the back of my other neighbors property as their backstop for shooting. Based on the dimensions of their lot and the dimensions you gave, I don't think they can legally shoot anywhere on their property.

Even though we're on larger lots I don't shoot anything other than airsoft and pellet rifles on mine, IMO there are too many houses and way too many kids running around to safely shoot centerfires regardless of the law.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
You think that's bad, Chatham Co. restricts it to within 1500ft of a dwelling. That's 5 football fields out in all directions from you. :screwy:

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
phantoms said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
You think that's bad, Chatham Co. restricts it to within 1500ft of a dwelling. That's 5 football fields out in all directions from you. :screwy:
§21-204 Discharge of Firearms or Explosives. A person is guilty
of a violation of this Ordinance when, without legal
justification, he or she discharges the following firearms or
explosives under the following circumstances:
1. Discharge of center fire rifles and pistols and shotguns with
slugs within 1,500 feet of a dwelling without the permission
of the inhabitant;
2. Discharge of rim fire rifles and pistols and shotguns with
buckshot within 300 feet of a public highway, road or street,
or within 1,000 feet of a dwelling without the permission of
the inhabitant;
3. Discharge of shotguns with birdshot within 150 feet of a
public highway, road or street, or within 250 feet of a
dwelling without the permission of the inhabitant.
4. Nothing herein shall apply to nor be construed to apply to an
authorized safely controlled firing range or other authorized
activity. (Amended October 20, 1989)
http://chathamcounty.org/chatham/uploads/Chapter21.PDF

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
You think that's bad, Chatham Co. restricts it to within 1500ft of a dwelling. That's 5 football fields out in all directions from you.
Man that leave me not being able to shoot anything on my property except a BB gun. :roll: I knew I should have bought 50 acres out in the county back when it wasn't cost prohibitive to buy. Then again I know my neighbors well enough to know that I don't want them shooting something more powerful than a BB gun either. I'll spend the extra time to drive to the range if it means that those bozos don't have the right to shoot a gun either. (Larry, you're exempt from the Bozo comment if you're reading this)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Once upon a time.. probably 12 years ago or so when I was in high school and still young and stupid.. I was out in a pecan tree grove on my father's property shooting squirrels (in-season) with a close friend. The pecan grove was at least a quarter mile from the main road and may have even been outside city limits. I'd never hunted squirrels in that area before and I'd always used a .22 as I considered it to be more sporting than the shotgun approach. That particular time though, I went out with a 20 gauge. After about an hour, we had a couple of squirrels.. and LEO coming down the road. At the time, it never crossed my mind that these pellets had to come down SOMEWHERE.. and they were raining down on a neighbor's 3 or 4 year old grandson.

Yeah.. that didn't go so well. (Sorry, Dad)

Luckily, there was no real harm done and everything seemed to turn out okay. I even thought then that I had a pretty good grasp on fundamental gun safety, but I was wrong.

I guess there was a point there somewhere... but really, this topic just made me think back on one of my bigger gun-related screw-ups. Be careful out there!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts