DOD Directive 5210.56, Arming and the Use of Force

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Marine6212, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Marine6212

Marine6212 Active Member

Does any one working at Robins RAFB know what the procedure is to be able to carry your personal firearm on base in accordance with this directive?

Provides guidance for permitting the carrying of privately owned firearms on DoD property by DoD
    personnel for personal protection purposes that are not associated with the performance of official
    duties.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...0ts3GG3SbxUHEXDfQ&sig2=mrZ4M4UMfJ0Wg72dsst2Rg

Attached Files:

2. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

I know that at Ft. Benning you have to go through the Provost Marshal's office. My guess would be that the 78th SFS would be your starting point but perhaps someone knows specifically.

3. Marine6212

Marine6212 Active Member

They are useless trying to get information out of. They give you the run around and then say it's base policy. ask to see the policy in writing and they can't produce it.

4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

I believe you. They're notorious with photographers around WR. They do illegal stops on photographers who are on public roads outside the base taking photos. The local Sheriff's office is reportedly tired of it and usually pretty human when they arrive. The RAFB cops are another matter. The law is very clear, photography is perfectly legal in public places and from a public place into any surrounding area that is not traditionally seen as a private area like a Bathroom or bedroom. So, taking photos of planes on the tarmac at the base from public areas is completely legal and they know it, have been told it over and over again, and they still harass citizens.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

You be DoD personnel?

6. Marine6212

Marine6212 Active Member

7. Marine6212

Marine6212 Active Member

Process Started!!

Well friday June 9, 2017 I talked to the 2nd man in charge of our hanger and showed him the DOD Directive. (He's a gun guy too) and he was intrigued and ran the question up the chain of command on how we will be able to get permission. 20ish minutes later a email conversation came back kicking it to the MSG (I believe its the mission support group). I think that's where all the lawyers work.

If any one has read the directive and has any pointers on the wording or legal jargon to help me better understand it or use for a persuasion I would be grateful.

8. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

It's the 78th Mission Support Group which is a part of the Air Base Wing and is responsible for the base operations. It includes the lawyers, police, satiation, education, and other non-combat logistics and support operations both necessary and unnecessary to the running of an Air Force Base.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  9. J.B.

J.B. Member

The Legal Office (78 ABW/JA) is not subordinate to the Mission Support Group, they are a Wing Staff Agency who reports directly to the Installation Commander.

For what it's worth, I previously (last year) submitted an inquiry, same subject, and the feedback I received indicated the base is not inclined to pursue a change to the current policy on this subject.

10. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it. As I understand it, the decision about lawful carry on base is at the discretion of the base commanding officer. To whom was the decision attributed when you received it?

11. J.B.

J.B. Member

The Installation Commander

12. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Typically the only way to revisit such a decision when the base commander's name is on it, barring new directives from higher authority, is to await change of command. I believe you got a new base commander last August so it will be a while.

13. Marine6212

Marine6212 Active Member

my understanding of the directive is that they will provide a way for some one to ask permission. if I'm misreading it, please show me the error of my ways!

14. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Yes, a way of asking permission. The final say though, correct me if I am wrong, is the facility commander. In this instance we have another member telling us that the current RAFB commander has already said no. I am in no way in favor of your not pursuing this, because perhaps; if he and his lawyers in uniform see enough requests they may revisit the decision.

15. Marine6212

Marine6212 Active Member

from my research the commander has to give a denial in writing