Do you trust the cops to prevent crime?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Sine Nomen, May 28, 2007.

1. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

That's why they are called "Law-Enforcement", not "Crime Prevention."

I'm certainly not relying on them for anything. That explains the GFL I have.

2. Dan H

Dan H New Member

I think thats fake, It looks like the screen is spliced in the middle...

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

+1

Plus, the footsteps sound way too painful. :lol:

4. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Additionally, I dont care how stupid of a kid you are. If I saw half a dozen cops in front of a house, the last thing I would do is go in and steal stuff, lol, lame....

5. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Additionally, I dont care how stupid of a kid you are. If I saw half a dozen cops in front of a house, the last thing I would do is go in and steal stuff, lol, lame....[/quote:1dk1puzi]

It is slightly fake. Not in the literal sense, but in the criminal sense. There is an explanation below the video. The kids (presumably with legitimate access to the house) "stole" an empty box, just to prove that the highly visible cops were highly useless.
    As to the screen being spliced, if they did it that way, it looks like they did a pretty good job working in the people passing in the foreground. Maybe it's easy, but I've seen full-scale movies with crappy green-screen. I have to admit: I know about this much about video editing.

6. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Generally speaking doesn't LE arrive on scene after the fact?

7. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Come on guys, they're a lot like firefighters. They do their best to prevent, but mostly, they come in after things have gone to hell...

Does anyone really believe LEOs wouldn't prevent crime if they could? Unfortunately, most of the time, they can't.

8. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Agreed, most cops that I have encountered seemed to be decent people genuinely interested in increasing public security and safety. The real point is that it's unreasonable to expect a LEO to have some sort of supernatural power to predict when and where crimes will be committed, and it would be prohibitively expensive and highly undesirable to employ enough manpower to watch every second of our lives and to be ready to spiring into action at the first hint of trouble.
    For those reasons, I do what I can to never urgently need their help.

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Partially, by enforcement of laws broken they remove the people that would commit a future crime. In that sense they prevent crime.

It is not their fault the system kicks them back out after very little time served.

10. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Well put.

Funny thing is that we have actually had complaints from people when officers took the initiative to contact them about unsecured property. The people didn't like being "bothered".

11. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Let me clarify. They do generally arrive after the fact. Why? Because there simply isn't enough LEO's to cover the beat. Their fault? Of course not.

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

No offense to any current or future LEOs, but if I trusted the police to prevent a crime from happening against me or my loved ones, I would not need to carry a gun.

13. Taurus

Taurus New Member

If they suspect something is going to happen, I beleive they try to engage, but to some degree , their intuition doesn't always justify their actions in court..

So unless they actually catch someone in the act, I imagine it has to be very difficult to prevent a crime...LEO's have to tread carefully when acting on their suspicions, even if they know their right...

14. tace

tace New Member

There was a time when one of my neighbours stole a UPS package from my front door. But he was kinda high and put the empty box on top his trash and dragged the trash can to the curb, the day after trash day! My wife's name was still on the box and I ran the tracking number to confirm that it was our package that was "never received". I called the cops and filed a report.

Guess what happened! Kicker is, Fulton Co jail let this guy go the other day (unrelated charges) because they didn't have enough room.

Do you need to wonder why I carry?

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

But you don't need to carry in a restaurant....cause...you know....you'd never see this guy again.

8)

16. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

You'd still have Congress to worry about.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I do not want to live in a world where we have so many LEOs that they are always there before the fact.

18. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

+1